Author Topic: "British Schools"  (Read 907 times)

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
"British Schools"
« on: Thursday 24 August 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
A cousin, Mary Thiery Moger, was listed at her marriage, 30th April 1846, Castle Str Independent Chapel Abergavenney, as a teacher of the girl's British School. I tried googling this, but could not find out any more about these institutions. As a lecturer myself, I have a particular interest in teaching ancestors and would like to know more about Mary's work. As a further personal link, Mary's husband, Jacob Myers, was born in Poland, like my father!
regards
Andrew

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: "British Schools"
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 17 11:43 BST (UK) »
There were the National Schools (National Society for Promoting the Education of the Poor in the Principles of the Established Church) from 1811, and the British Schools (British and Foreign School Society) from 1814. The schools founded, or encouraged, by the two societies became known as the "National" and "British"
"National Schools" were set up by the Church of England,  and founded in 1811, under the auspices of the 'National Society for the Education of the Poor,' by Andrew Bell, an Anglican clergyman, at the invitation of members of the Church of England.
One of the pioneers of education was Joseph Lancaster, a Quaker, whose work was so impressive that the Lancasterian Society was formed by a few of his wealthy sympathisers in 1808. This is better known by its more modern title "British and Foreign School Society".
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 24 August 17 11:50 BST (UK) »
The Protestant non-conformist, non-denominational, or "British schools" were founded by Society for Promoting the Lancasterian System for the Education of the Poor, an organisation formed in 1808 by Joseph Fox, William Allen and Samuel Whitbread and supported by several evangelical and non-conformist Christians.

Quoting from this Wiki page:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_education_in_England
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 24 August 17 11:58 BST (UK) »
See under "The involvement of the churches" http://www.educationengland.org.uk/history/chapter02.html from    Education in England: a brief history by Derek Gillard www.educationengland.org.uk/history

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Andrew RM Hayes

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 August 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your responses, they really help to put Mary's work in context.
Although Catholic myself I went to a C of E primary school in our little town that was originally founded under a bequest of an 18th century philanthropist. It's now been rebranded as the "Anne Harris" Educational Trust in her memory.
regards
Andrew