Author Topic: England/Wales Census of Calais, France  (Read 372 times)

Offline Hammerman

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
England/Wales Census of Calais, France
« on: Thursday 24 August 17 14:08 BST (UK) »
I seem to remember once, a few years ago, seeing online the results and images of Census returns for the town of Calais, I think 1851, carried out as part of the England/Wales census. Can anyone confirm and where to look for them?
Greensmith - Greasley, Nottinghamshire; Rigley - Nottinghamshire; Wightman - Nottinghamshire; Lee - Nottinghamshire; James - Berkshire (maybe Gloucestershire); Lyons - London; Harrop - Prestbury, Cheshire; Rockett - Middlesex; Chandler - Lambeth, Surrey (maybe Norfolk); Gates - Middlesex; Clark - Islip, Oxfordshire; Richards - Gouldhurst, Kent; Bent - Redbourne, Hertfordshire; Angel - Throwley, Kent; Coker - Middlesex; Bailey - West Lavington, Wiltshire

Offline jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: England/Wales Census of Calais, France
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 24 August 17 18:50 BST (UK) »
To my knowledge this does not exist as documents carried out as part of the England/Wales censuses. Even shipping returns were only taken for vessels in home waters.

"Recensements de population" do exist in French archives and the ones for Pas-de-Calais are online:
http://www.archivespasdecalais.fr/Archives-en-ligne/Histoire-d-une-personne/Recensements-de-population
For the most part they are not yet indexed so without an address it can be hard to search unless your family lived in a small village. I've attached an example of what the record for an English family in the 1851 would look like in these records (in this case for Saint-Pierre-lès-Calais).
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk