Author Topic: Fergussons of Finnart / Gillilands and Forsythes of Antrim  (Read 4137 times)

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Fergussons of Finnart / Gillilands and Forsythes of Antrim
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 28 October 18 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Hallmark,

The Fergusons of Fourmileburn, County Antrim, are not the same family as the Fergussons of Finnart, Ayrshire.  The Gillilands were connected to both families though.

Where is your second extract from?  I don’t think I’ve seen that one before.

Since I posted in 2017 I’ve found tonnes of information on the National Records of Scotland website which take the Fergusson and Kennedy families back to the 1600s.  The two families intermarried a couple of times, and eventually their estates were united in Hugh (or Hew) Fergusson-Kennedy who was the grandson of John Forsythe of Ballynure.

Gilby

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 28 October 18 18:38 GMT (UK) »
Apologies it was from

Records of the clan and name of Fergusson, Ferguson and Fergus by Clan Ferguson Society (Edinburgh)
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 28 October 18 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Ah.  I see it now, thanks.

Here's another little puzzle I just found in the Registry of Deeds...

1782 - Dromain - Book 350 / Page 33 / Number 233336
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSH3-97LS-T?i=22&cat=185720
Memorial of deed dated 14th Jul 1782 made between Margaret Shaw otherwise Ferguson of Ballintrea [Ballantrae] in the Shire of Ayr in North Britain, widow, of the one part, and John Forsyth [Forsythe] the elder of Ballinure [Ballynure] Co Antrim gent of the other.  Whereby Margaret Shaw sold to John Forsyth all that farm of land formerly in the possession of Robert Brown and Thomas Brown of Drumain and afterwards in the occupation of Alexander Shaw late of Killyglen, gent deceased, containing 40a IPM, with additional rights to turf and grazing, lying in the parish of Carncastle, Co Antrim.  To hold unto John Forsyth for the lives of William Henry Blair the elder of Killyglen, gent, and Samuel Brown of Drumain, by virtue of a lease dated 13th Nov 1770, renewable at certain costs.  Witnessed by Andrew Forsythe of Tipperitony [??] and John Philips of Ballynure, linen weaver.

This lease passed to John's son David who sold it in 1810 to Samuel Richards.

The 1770 lease mentioned was to Alexander Shaw of Killyglen - possibly related to Margaret's husband?

Margaret could be John Forsythe's sister-in-law...?

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 October 18 19:55 GMT (UK) »
One would need to see if there was a Ferguson/Shaw Marriage agreement etc.....
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Gilby

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 28 October 18 20:29 GMT (UK) »
Didn't find any, but did find this:

GD60/163
Title    Bond by Hugh Fergusson, barrackmaster in Ayr, and tutor dative to Hugh Fergusson Kennedy of Finnarts to Mrs Margaret Shaw alias Fergusson residing at Ballantrae "for the use and behalf of my said pupil" for £549 3s 9p borrowed money.
In dorso: Discharge signed by Dr John Fergusson residing at Stranraer, James Forsyth, physician at Belfast, and John Donaldson, W.S., trustees for the said Margaret Shaw, dated 23 March 1810

James Forsythe the physician was son of John Forsythe of Ballynure by his first wife.

Offline cranlum

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 December 18 01:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi

I have being doing extensive research into various branches of the Kennedy Clan of Ayrshire over the past 3 years and this includes a tree I refer to as the Primrose Kennedy line which includes Kennedy Cadet branches of Benane, Drummellan, Kirkmichael & Finnarts etc.

I would be delighted to share my research with you including a recent find in the Scottish archives dating from 1807 - GD60/162 viz

-Extract Act and Factory, on a petition signed by Thomas Thomson advoate as procurator for Mrs Mary Forsyth or Fergusson Kennedy relict of David Fergusson Kennedy of Finnarts, who died on 25 November 1806, Hugh Kennedy of Bennan his father, and Primrose Kennedy of Drummellan and William Kerr secretary of the General Post Office at Edinburgh as nearest of Kin, appointing Hugh Fergusson barrackmaster in Ayr as factor loca tutoris to Hugh Kennedy aged 5 and Agnes Kennedy aged 4 children of the deceased David Fergusson Kennedy of Finnarts. The petition narrates that the said David was mentally deranged from 1804 till his death, during which time John Fergusson residing in Stranraer was factor loca tutoris but is unwilling to continue in that office; that the estate of Finnarts, with a rental of £320 per annum, is the only property left by the late laird; that by his marriage contract it is destined, failing heirs of his body, to David Forsyth of Drummain in the country of Antrim in Ireland; and that his heirs of line, failing his children, are two female cousins resident in Ireland, daughters of the deceased Fergus Kennedy, late surgeon in Wexford. The said Hugh Fergusson barrackmaster, with the said Primrose Kennedy as cautioner, signed a bond on caution on 8 July
Dates   3 Jul 1807