Author Topic: Hugh Marwicks parents and further!  (Read 2482 times)

Offline Ames1122

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hugh Marwicks parents and further!
« on: Friday 25 August 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
Hi everyone!
I'm new here. I have been searching my ancestors and trying to complete my family tree for 10 years now! We all know it's fun and it's never ending lol.

I am desperately looking to continue on my Marwick family tree for my ancestors.

I am looking for Hugh Marwicks parents and info and further back if someone knows?. I live in Canada so I can't exactly get to Scotland although I would love to.

Info:

Hugh Marwick b. 1766 in Scockness
d. 1820 Scockness, Rousay
m. Betsy Sinclair b. 1758 Faraclett

Hugh and Betsy had 10 sons which Betsy nicknamed the 10 devils.

Their sons names were: James, Robert, Thomas, Magnus, John, Isaac, William, Craigie, they had 2 sons named Hugh who both died at infancy.

It was said that Hughs father was named Magnus Marwick b. 1720 d. 1770 from Scockness.
I've also found some saying his father was named George Magnus b. 1730 d. 1780.

Not sure if these are even true? No known leads on Hughs mothers name yet..

ANY HELP on who his parents were and their info along with anything further or pictures of this family and their descendents would be absolutely appreciated and I would be so greatful!!

Thanks,

Amy
Marwick, Stevenson, Harcus, Ireland, Metcalf, Anderson, Raymond, Murray, Drummond, Sinclair, Sneddon, Baikie, Miller, Phillips, Armstrong, Kinscher.

Offline Skoosh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hugh Marwicks parents and further!
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 17 14:47 BST (UK) »
Amy have you tried the Orkney website  cursiter.com 

Skoosh.

Offline Ames1122

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 17 18:48 BST (UK) »
Hi I've tried that a bit couldn't find a birth for Magnus or George Magnus for those dates. I literally wrote down all the birth with those names that would make possible sense for Hugh to have been born. Haven't gotten anywhere. I've connected to literally hundreds of cousins and distant cousins down the tree line of the 10 sons.

Robert C. Marwick who is a distant cousin did a website called Rousay Roots and he's got as far as i have and unfortunately he's passed away. I feel a duty and a calling to continue where he left off.

I'm stuck 😔 I know somebody has the answer out there.
Marwick, Stevenson, Harcus, Ireland, Metcalf, Anderson, Raymond, Murray, Drummond, Sinclair, Sneddon, Baikie, Miller, Phillips, Armstrong, Kinscher.

Offline akc

• RootsChat Veteran
  • st magnus cathedral
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 November 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
http://rousayremembered.com/

This site is brilliant, the gentleman who runs it has a facebook page you might find interesting
Dumfriesshire: Bell, Kerr, Dickson, Hetherington
Orkney: Cursiter, Peace, Drever, Cooper, Paterson, Brock, Leslie, Malcomson, Miller, Scott
Cumberland: Charlton, Young