Author Topic: Mary Appleton  (Read 3546 times)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Appleton
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 08:30 BST (UK) »
Jane,

I have a distant connection with the Appletons through a side branch of my family, to Jonathan Appleton b.1750 at Harmondsworth, parents William & Mary, probably Mary's brother. I'm afraid I haven't researched that line back further as it a very remote branch, but I did find that Jonathan was a Quaker, so it would be worth looking up any Quaker records online. Sorry I can't help much further as I have suspended my Ancestry, etc. subscriptions for the summer, to allow more time for other things.

[Just noticed Jane was last online 3 months ago, and the original post was 2017! ] :-[

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 15:01 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike -

Is this "your" Johnathan Appleton (1750–1802 Harmondsworth ) who apparently married a Mary and had children William (1775-); Jonathan (1776–1855); William (1778–) and Mary (1780–).

Just curious, when you say remote, do you also mean indirect?

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 16:14 BST (UK) »
Yes, that's him.

His granddaughter, Ann Middleton Appleton, married William Westaby Stuttle (a nephew of my 4xgt. grandfather) in 1827. I haven't done much in-depth research into the family but I do have a transcript of Jonathan's will of 1802 if you are researching him.

Mike.
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 16:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks. He isn't a direct ancestor. I do tend to cast the net wide though because there are often many clues to be had through other family members! So if his will sheds any light on his ancestry, it could be interesting.

My direct ancestor would be his sister Mary who married James David Cooper (according to what I have). I have no hint that any of this line would have been involved with the Quakers and they pretty much stayed in and around Surrey/London for the next few generations.

ard

CNL.DVN:Knight;Jenkins;Bray;Harvey;West;Judd;Menhinnit;Griffin;Harding;Williams;Goman;Cock;Leach;Martin;Hewett.*KNT:Foster;Piper.*ESSX:Smith;Baker;Hawkins;Everitt;Spurgeon;Wellens. *MDX:Gruber;Shortland;Dukes;Cooper;Appelton;Watts;Hooper;Neale;Ricketts.*LCN:Burton;Blackburn;Walters;*SCOT:Blair;Dick;Stevenson;Williamson;Halliday;;Gilchrist;Leggat;Davies;Frew;Pollock;Richmond;Houston;McLachlan,Gemmel/Giemle,Clerk*NI:Ferguson;Boyd.*DEU:Gruber,Henne,Hohln(Württemberg)Hoffmann(Birkenfeld)

Offline Jane190

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 15 May 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hello ard and Mike,

Thank you for your messages  :)

I just know that Mary Appleton was born 1760 in Harmondsworth, I knew her parents were William and Mary but never was a 100% sure.

Do you have more Information of  the Family ? of the ancestors of Mary Appleton and her fathers and mothers ancestors? I also would like to know where Marys husband James David Cooper came from  ???

SMITH-Worth,Cuckfield/Sussex
COOPER-Heston,Harmondsworth/Middlesex
PATTENDEN- Sussex
FULLER- Worth /Sussex
UNDERWOOD-Chertsey/Surrey
JONES- Chertsey
BRIDDIST-Chertsey
BERRYMAN-Chertsey
HOWARD-Chertsey
TAYLOR-Hilmarton/Wiltshire
MILLS-East Ilsley/Berkshire
EVANS-East Hendred/Berkshire
HITCHMAN-Wantage
GODDARD- East Hendred
SHORTLAND-Sunbury-on-Thames
DUKES-Heston
NICOLLS-Middlesex
PICKET- Wroughton/Wiltshire
BUTLER-Wroughton
LANGRIDGE -Worth/Sussex

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 16 May 19 09:56 BST (UK) »
Jonathan's 1802 will only lists his children: William, Jonathan & Mary and his second wife Hannah. No mention of any other family members. He describes himself as a farmer of Sipson, Middlesex. It may have been his wife, Mary Percival, who was a Quaker as they had a Quaker marriage service, although his 2nd marriage and his burial were also Quaker services, possibly conducted at the Longford Meeting House which is now close to Heathrow Airport.

It is likely that Jonathan's father, William, was also a farmer/market gardener, as were Jonathan's son and grandson, both named William.

I'm afraid that is about the limit of my research.

Mike.

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 16 May 19 14:02 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Mike. That's quite a find, all the same!  :)

Offline Jane190

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 22 August 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
Hi again,

I‘m still looking for the baptism of Mary Appleton who was born around 1760 in Harmondsworth Middlesex. I know that @ard named her parents as William and Mary grandparents Thomas Appleton and Elizabeth but I want to be sure it’s her!

I have a hint on my family tree that her parents were William Appleton born 1724 Hampshire and Mary Percival born 1720 Middlesex

siblings: William b. 1738 Harmondsworth
David b. 1746 Harmondsworth
Jonathan b.1750 Harmondsworth

The information could be wrong because the wife of Jonathan is a Mary Percival too or just mixed up
SMITH-Worth,Cuckfield/Sussex
COOPER-Heston,Harmondsworth/Middlesex
PATTENDEN- Sussex
FULLER- Worth /Sussex
UNDERWOOD-Chertsey/Surrey
JONES- Chertsey
BRIDDIST-Chertsey
BERRYMAN-Chertsey
HOWARD-Chertsey
TAYLOR-Hilmarton/Wiltshire
MILLS-East Ilsley/Berkshire
EVANS-East Hendred/Berkshire
HITCHMAN-Wantage
GODDARD- East Hendred
SHORTLAND-Sunbury-on-Thames
DUKES-Heston
NICOLLS-Middlesex
PICKET- Wroughton/Wiltshire
BUTLER-Wroughton
LANGRIDGE -Worth/Sussex

Offline ard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 22 August 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
You can also see if you can find a copy of the marriage, it may mention at least one of the parents...

James (David) Cooper and Mary Appleton apparently married 23 April 1782 at St Mary, Harmondsworth, Middlesex, England.