Author Topic: Nun - Sister Winifred / Catherine MURPHY  (Read 1305 times)

Offline zetlander

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Nun - Sister Winifred / Catherine MURPHY
« on: Friday 25 August 17 22:17 BST (UK) »
What information is given on a 1969 Death Certificate.
Place of birth?

Is it possible to find the name of the informant without buying a certificate.

The person I am researching is Catherine Murphy who died in Sheffield in M1/4 1969 aged 92.
She was a Daughter of Charity known as Sister Winifred.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Nun
« Reply #1 on: Friday 25 August 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
Is it possible to find the name of the informant without buying a certificate.

No

From http://ukburials.com/deathrec.php

A full death record will give you:

Name
    Date and place of death
    Date and place of birth (before 1969 a certificate only showed the age of the deceased)
    Occupation
    Abode
    Cause of death
    The person who gave the information for the death registration

I notice her death reg does not show her full birthdate and wonder if she actually died in late December 1968 and her death was registered before 31st Dec but only included in the March 1969 returns

It could also simply mean that whoever reported her death did not know her full D o B
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 25 August 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
who died in Sheffield in M1/4 1969 aged 92.

The new certificate format was introduced on 1 April 1969, so for a death in the first quarter you won't get the date/place of birth.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 August 17 06:22 BST (UK) »
who died in Sheffield in M1/4 1969 aged 92.
The new certificate format was introduced on 1 April 1969, so for a death in the first quarter you won't get the date/place of birth.

Plus, nuns are/were traditionally very coy about revealing their age even in death/funeral notices.
Usual format is "in the xxth year of her religious profession" or similar.  Which gives a general idea as they usually entered the convent not long after school, so add 16 - 20 years to the 'religious life' to get an approximation, if you don't already know the age at death.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 August 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
I know further answers have been given in relation to the original question, but a quick comment on this:
I notice her death reg does not show her full birthdate and wonder if she actually died in late December 1968 and her death was registered before 31st Dec but only included in the March 1969 returns

The end of quarter returns include every death that was registered in that quarter. If the death was in late December, then as long as it was registered by the 31st it will be in the December return (which is actually completed in the first couple of weeks in January). It would only appear in the March return if it wasn't registered until January.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 August 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Do you have this which might help with a time line for her - assuming it is her. It is 1954, I think.

http://www.stvincentschurch.com/history.html

Exactly one month later, a Solemn High Mass, celebrated at St Joseph's church, Howard Hill by Father E. McDonagh, marked the Golden Jubilee of Sister Winifred's profession as a Sister of Charity of St Vincent de Paul.  Arriving in Sheffield in 1921, Sister Winifred had spent over 33 years teaching and caring for the infant children in St Vincent's school and had greatly endeared herself to the thousands of children who had benefited from her devotion and care.

You might get some information here http://www.daughtersofcharity.org.uk/Contact

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline meisbri

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Nun - Sister Winifred / Catherine MURPHY
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 12 January 19 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I can give you the information about Sister Winefred if you still need it. A bit late now probably, but here it is.  She was born in Aghabollogue, Co. Cork Ireland on 6 June 1876. In 1911 she was listed as Head Teacher of St. Vincents Home for Girls in Sheffield, Yorkshire. In 1939 under the name of Winifred Murphy she is listed as Head Teacher at St. Josephs Home, Howard Hill, Sheffield. She died in Sheffield in 1969 at the age of 92. The name on her Headstone  is Catherine Murphy. It has been suggested that she may have been a relative of my Birth Mother Mary Hayes, of whom I know very little about, been searching for over 30 years, getting weary now.  All the best.