Author Topic: DNA testing and inherited illnesses or defects  (Read 1173 times)

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
DNA testing and inherited illnesses or defects
« on: Sunday 27 August 17 08:13 BST (UK) »
There is an article in the Guardian today about a "side-effects" of DNA testing.
Warnings over shock dementia revelations from ancestry DNA tests

Companies have been told to accept moral responsibility and provide counselling for people who inadvertently discover health risks
https://www.theguardian.com/science/2017/aug/26/alzheimers-disease-shock-for-genetic-ancestry-hunters

The discussions here in the forum have been mainly about proving descent.  But what about other aspects of DNA test results - for instance genetic disposition to illness and the like .. ?

Has anybody here come up with (and had to deal with) such disturbing knowledge ?

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing and inherited illnesses or defects
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 08:44 BST (UK) »
My daughter felt unwell for some time. She went a couple of times to her NHS doctor with the vague symptoms but they didn't seem to take it seriously. My daughter knew the symptoms were getting worse so went to someone privately. This lady told her to get her DNA analysed and give her the results.

I must admit I was sceptical when she told me. Daughter had the DNA analysis with 23andMe and sent off the results to the lady. Within hours she had a phone call. She must go straight away to her doctors for a blood test as she may be very low on vitamin D which would account for the symptoms.

It seems that both my husband and I have inherited a problem absorbing vitamin D. Our daughter has inherited it from both of us so it's very difficult for her (in UK) to get the required amount to keep her healthy.

The blood test confirmed it and she has to have vitamin D supplements for the rest of her life.  Not a disaster but it shows that DNA can help solve problems as well as perhaps relay bad news. It must be very difficult to face such bad news. I know we felt awful for our daughter after several years of vague and painful symptoms knowing it was an inherited problem. We are not at fault, you eventually realise it's the luck of the draw for you as well as your children. Our son is fine so it looks like he didn't inherit any vitamin D problems.

We have now had our DNA analysed but have not done any medical checks on it. The analysis was purely for genealogical reasons and to give our daughter her complete DNA picture.

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Liz_in_Sussex

• RootsChat Veteran
  • "We wunt be druv."
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 15:58 BST (UK) »
A few years back, Dad and I both had DNA tests done with 23andme and were intrigued to see what the 'Health Reports' would say.  :o They are very careful to not let you 'accidentally' read what could be very disturbing reports.

When the results came we were totally amazed at how accurate they were - the VERY high prediction that Dad would have AF would have scared the life out of us if he hadn't just been diagnosed.  We also both showed up as being intolerant of a specific drug and interestingly it was one that had been discussed for him - an alternative was found.   ;D

I do worry though, that a lot of people don't seem to realise the possible implications of taking a DNA test - whether it be health reports, a surprise close relative or your biological family not quite being who you thought they were.  Once you know you can't go back ...  :'(

Liz
Research interests:
Sussex (Isted, Trusler, Pullen, Botting), Surrey (Isted), Shropshire (Hayward), Lincolnshire (Brown, Richardson), Wiltshire (Bailey), Schleswig-Holstein (Isted),  Nordrhein-Westfalen (Niessen).

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 August 17 23:49 BST (UK) »
Tested at FtDNA which seems to deliberately avoid the medical genes and focus more on genealogy.  I'd have been interested in checking out whether my parents have the genes for a couple of fairly common conditions which some of my cousins have.  I've been tested via my doctor and I don't have those genes but my aunts must have.

Offline Seaton Smithy

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Previously known as "neb_maat_re".
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 28 August 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Tested at FtDNA which seems to deliberately avoid the medical genes and focus more on genealogy.  I'd have been interested in checking out whether my parents have the genes a couple of fairly common conditions which some of my cousins have.  I've been tested via my doctor and I don't have those genes but my aunts must have.

You can upload your FTDNA results to Promethease and for US$5 get a reasonably comprehensive assessment of your potentially inherited traits.

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 28 August 17 19:32 BST (UK) »
I did upload them to Promethease.  Either Promethease doesn't report on those particular genes or FtDNA doesn't test them.