Author Topic: DNA testing for family history - a warning  (Read 1522 times)

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
DNA testing for family history - a warning
« on: Sunday 27 August 17 15:39 BST (UK) »
There is a warning for those tracing their family's history in today's Observer about the information revealed in DNA testing.  Medical information can show that you are likely to succumb to illnesses such as Alzheimer's, Parkinson's or breast cancer, and although you are offered the opportunity not to look at this, the temptation to do so is often too great.  "Counselling" on offer for those affected is often as little as a YouTube video.  As one doctor puts it: "Gene test companies make a profit and walk away.  The aggressive way in which these companies market their tests mention the benefits but not the downsides."

I've yet to be convinced about the benefits of DNA testing and think it's just another ploy for companies to make money. 

What has other people's experience been?  Would you have the test?  If you have taken the test. what real benefits have you seen?

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: DNA testing for family history - a warning
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 August 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 August 17 16:17 BST (UK) »
Thanks, medpat.  I hadn't seen that, but it's very interesting.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline WhiskyMac

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 19:06 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gillg.

I have often thought about having one done, but after seeing this I will certainly bin that idea.

The opportunity to see what medical ailments could be on your horizon might, as you say, be
almost too much to resist.

They are being downright cheeky. This looks like a 'money making machine' and not for me.  ::)

Offline mike175

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 20:15 BST (UK) »
Thanks Gillg.
... The opportunity to see what medical ailments could be on your horizon might, as you say, be
almost too much to resist ...

For those of us of more mature years it's probably too late to do anything about it anyway, but I'm not sure I would have wanted to know when I was younger either. You could spend your life terrified of something that may never happen. Genetic predisposition for a condition does not mean you will certainly get it and, vice versa, absence of it does not mean you are safe  ::)

We should all live a blameless life and eat a healthy balanced diet, drink in moderation, never smoke . . . and we might all have long and boring lives . . .  :-\
Baskervill - Devon, Foss - Hants, Gentry - Essex, Metherell - Devon, Partridge - Essex/London, Press - Norfolk/London, Stone - Surrey/Sussex, Stuttle - Essex/London, Wheate - Middlesex/Essex/Coventry/Oxfordshire/Staffs, Gibson - Essex, Wyatt - Essex/Kent

Offline Deer243

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 29 August 17 23:23 BST (UK) »
One thing that I would stress is that many, if not most, DNA tests for family history research do not reveal or contain medical information. In particular, the Y-DNA testing used for family history is not going to reveal medical information. Also, FTDNA, one of the main autosomal DNA testers deliberately avoid testing the parts of DNA relating to key medical information.

I don't mean to dispute what the original poster said, just to point out that many, possibly the majority of family history DNA tests do not test sections of DNA relating to key medical information.

I have taken both autosomal and Y-DNA tests and found it to be very interesting and have made genuine connections and found previously unknown links which have helped to progress my research back further.
Dillon (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Duggan (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Marley (Manchester, originally Ireland)
Hogan (Tullamore, County Offaly, Ireland)
Reekie (Fife)
Elston (Brecon, Birmingham, Dorset, Devon)
Pearsall (Birmingham)
Kinninmonth (Fife)
Kinnaird (Fife)

Offline JACK GEE

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 30 August 17 00:45 BST (UK) »
I am a bit like Dear243 - great interest in my DNA results for genealogy purposes but no mention of  any ailment tests. Mine was thru FamilyTreeDNA.

My mantra is to get on with life for what will be - will be. Call me a fatalist.
No point in worrying about something that may never happen - work on the things that you can control and enjoy life.

Love this Genie journey.
Jack Gee
GILBERT-ShirehamptonEng-Vic/Australia,HERWEG-WoltwiescheGERmany-Vic/Aust,CREIGHTON-Donegal-NI,Gosforth/CumbriaEng-Vic/Aust,MCCLURE-Cloghroe/KillynureDonegal NI,Vic/Aust,PATULLO-StMadoesPerthshire-Vic/Aust,NICHOLAS-Nth CheritonEng/Vic Aust,COX-ShirehamptonEng,FORD-MidsomerNortonEng,THOMAS-Pilton/Devon,EDWARDS-Bristol/Eng,BOND-Norfolk,NAU-Germany,SINGLETON-MuncasterEng,LADLAY-GosforthEng,JOHNSTONE-BalmerinoFife, TEMPLE-StranorlarNI,GRAHAM,CRAIGIE,HALL,HANNAM,GINGELL,HALE,OSMAN,BRITTON,HARVEY,ALLEN