Author Topic: Meginns of Castleblayney, Co.Monaghan  (Read 8099 times)

Offline searchingforfoxalls

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Meginns of Castleblayney, Co.Monaghan
« on: Friday 01 September 17 16:10 BST (UK) »
Looking for Meginn family of Castleblayney in 18th century. I know my ancestor was born in Castleblayney 1797 and was a painter, moved to Liverpool before 1820, where he died 1862. Wondering if I can find out when he moved or trace further back. Not sure where to start - first of my ancestors to be born in Ireland! Thanks.

Offline melmb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Meginns of Castleblayney, Co.Monaghan
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 April 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
Hi

I saw your post which I realise is very old. I'm also descended from this family. If you are still active on the site, can you reply to me please?

Thanks

Melody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 13:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Melody,

I haven't looked at this site for a long time but saw your message. I'd be interested to hear how you are connected to the Meginns and if we are related! My ancestor was Joseph Meginn who married Caroline Yates in 1851. Their daughter was Lucy who married Edward Clegg, their daughter Elizabeth was my great grandmother. Does that make any sense to you so far?

Offline melmb

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
Yes, we are definitely related. Joseph Meginn was my g.g.grandfather. I'm descended from his oldest son, Frederick Edward Meginn, Lucy's brother.

Frederick Edward Meginn had 5 daughters and a son. His second daughter, Florence, was my grandmother but she died fairly young so I never knew her.

I don't know if you are aware but Frederick Edward Meginn was a painter. As well as houses and churches, which was his 'day job', he painted landscapes and I have a couple of his paintings.

Melody

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 17:49 BST (UK) »
Oh wow! That's amazing. We knew Frederick was a painter, we have one of his pictures too. It is signed by him and dated 1910 and is of a cottage.

Frederick and Lucy are our connection then! They also had a brother Alfred. Lucy Meginn is my great, great grandmther. From what I discovered, Joseph Meginn married Caroline Yates and her parents were Thomas and Lucy Yates. The mother lived with Joseph and Caroline into her old age. Caroline's grandfather was a Captain Bolton and there is some connection to a Windle estate. My mother told me she had heard family stories of there being money there and that Caroline had been entitled to a portion of the estate but didn't get any of it.

I have Joseph Meginn's parents as Lawrence and Margaret and found that Lawrence was born in Castleblaney and was a painter. He died in Liverpool in the workhouse so I assume he was the one to go to England from Ireland first and maybe ended up hitting hard times.

From family stories, I know Joseph Meginn was generally considered not up to much by the rest of the family. I think he may have been an alcoholic and lost a lot of the family's money. We have a personal account written by a relative of the goings on but from what I can remember, I think he and Caroline owned a pub/inn at some point and he reportedly drank away their money!

I'd love to know any family stories you have about the Meginns and if you have been able to trace any further back than Lawrence and Margaret. It's so great you got in touch! Do you know is there a way we can privately message each other on this site?

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 18:36 BST (UK) »
Do you know is there a way we can privately message each other on this site?

Use the PM (Personal Message) system. Click on My Messages in the dark brown bar at the top of the page, and then click on 'Send Message'.

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 27 April 21 18:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you!