Author Topic: Birth and/or Marriage Lookup for Marks  (Read 4141 times)

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Birth and/or Marriage Lookup for Marks
« on: Monday 01 August 05 19:32 BST (UK) »
I am hoping that someone can help.  I am looking for any information on the Marks family of Liskeard.

In particular, I am looking for Richard Marks and Caroline ?, and (daughter) Alma.  I found them on the 1891 Census as living at :

1891 Census
Piece: RG12/1811 Place: Liskeard-Cornwall Enumeration District: 11
Civil Parish: Liskeard Ecclesiastical Parish: Liskeard
Folio: 33 Page: 2 Schedule: 13
Address: Lodge

Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MARKS Richard Head M M 60 Farmer(Em'er) Devon - Woodbray
MARKS Caroline Wife M F 54 (Em'ee) Cornwall - Lanivet
MARKS Annie Dau S F 18 Dom Servant(Em'ee) Cornwall - Liskeard
MARKS Richard Son S M 17 Farm Lab(Em'ee) Cornwall - Liskeard
MARKS Alma Dau S F 2m Cornwall - Liskeard
MARKS Robert Son S M 15 Cornwall - Liskeard

We believe that Alma was born in either Jan. or Feb. of 1891. We know that she immigrated to Canada sometime around 1914 and had a son named Walter James Francis Marks born April 7, 1914. She lived in the Toronto area with a family named "Johnson". 

Our problem is; we are assuming that she never married and that Marks was indeed her name at birth. If so, then this could well be the correct  "Alma".

My father-in-law never knew his father, and never volunteered any information on who it could be. The only thing that we can remember, is that Alma told us she was from Cornwall. We have been unable to find a birth record from Canada for Walter. (Maybe he was born in England?) Some think in could be Liverpool.

If anyone has any access to birth or marriage records, it would be greatly appreciated, as we seem to have hit a brick wall.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
Re: Birth and/or Marriage Lookup for Marks
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 00:39 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

I'm not sure what info you already have but I have found a marrige on FreeBMD which would seem to be your couple.

Jun 1870      Bodmin        5c 135
Richard Marks and Caroline Philp
Lanivet is in the Bodmin registration district

From the IGI
Caroline Philp    bap 12.Mar 1837       Lanivet     father Cornelius     mother Sally

I have found Caroline and Richard prior to their marriage on the 1861 census, also the 1871 let me know if you woould like the details.

I live about 2 miles from Lanivet so your request caught my attention.

Regards  Sue

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
E Yorks: HALL, HARLEY, HARVEY, HULLAH, PORTER, PRESTON.
Essex: HARVEY, SMITH. ONG, HUMM/HUME
Norfolk: TUCK
Lincs: ADAMS, HOLLAND.

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 00:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Just had a look at the 1901 census where Alma is 10 and given as Richard's granddaughter!!?? Let me know if you want the details.

Sue

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thank you for responding so quickly to my post. I don't have much information at all with regards to this family.
I would appreciate any information you have with regards to the census from: 1861, 1871 and 1901.

With Richard and Caroline being listed as her grandparents, it seems as though there is yet one more stumbling block. Looks like I will have to figure out which son or daughter is actually her parent.

Never a dull moment in family history.

Thanks again.

Janice
Elder, Stewart, Johnston, Baskerville, Marks, Carson, Leitch, Bulloch, Thomson, Allen, Campbell, Gordon, Murray, Kelly, Chambers, Black, Cheyne, Youngson, Williamsdaughter, Anderson, Briggs, Pirie, Clark, Philp, Mannel, Lander, Rough, Lean, Bate, Brown, Oliver, Kitt, Shards, Bennet, Young, Petrie, Wylie, Herbertson, Martin, McAlister, Best, Ginn, Ross, McIntosh, McGillivray, Russell, Pettigrew, Fyfe, Barrie

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 09:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

Sleepless last night so I managed to trace Caroline's family back to 1797.

You're very fortunate as all the info is on the IGI at www.familysearch.org
I can let you know what I found but don't want to spoil your fun so let me know .

Also have her family on the 1841 and 1851

Caroline's mother was SALLY MANNEL before her marriage to CORNELIUS PHILP
They were married in Lanivet on 30 April 1833

Will post all the census details later today as I have to go out now

Best wishes  Sue

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 02 August 05 16:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

Here are the census details so far

1861  Polventor, St Neot, Cornwall
home of   William Williams 74 farmer of 60 acres + son and family
CAROLINE PHILP   serv  un  26                                  b Lanivet

1861 1 Trencreek Cottages, Menheniot, Cornwall
Robert Marks            H  M  62        ag lab                         b Woodbury Dev
Margaret Marks        W M  60                                               Ipplepen Dev
RICHARD MARKS       S  U   30         ag lab                           Woodbury
Sarah Marks             D  U   28       dressmaker                     Woodbury
James Marks             S  U  26          ag lab                           Woodbury
John Marks               S  U   21         ag lab                            Woodbury

next door
George Marks           H  M  32          ag lab                       b Woodbury
Margery Marks          W M  30                                              Lewannick Cornwall
Richard marks           S        4                                               Menheniot
Emma Marks             D        3                                                   "
Mary Marks               D        2                                                   "

Looks like this could be Richard's older brother

1871 Lodge, Liskeard
Richard Marks         H  m  40    farmer 16 acres     
Caroline Marks       W  M  34                                                   b Lanivet
George Marks         S        1 mth                                                Liskeard
James Marks        nephew 9                                                      Menheniot

1871 14 higher Luc?? St, Liskeard
Robert Marks           H  Wid  72        ag lab
Sarah Ann Marks     D    Un  38        dressmaker

More to come but my 2 finger typing is quite tiring so I need a rest now

Sue

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 04:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for all the information. This is FANTASTIC!!!

I will be looking up family for some time. I can't believe how many new family members you have found for me.

Janice
 :o

Offline Sueh2

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Violet Ward 1902-1996
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 09:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Janice,

I have details of

Caroline's family on the 1841/51 census

Robert Marks baptism & marriage ( IGI)

Richard & Caroline on the 1901

Sally Mannel's baptism & marriage of her parents ( IGI )

Do you want me to post any of these or are you happy to make your own discoveries? I am assuming that you are OK with the 1881 census.

Best wishes  Sue

Offline Janice M

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 03 August 05 22:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

From the information you supplied before, I managed to retrieve both Robert Marks and Sally Mannel's details from the IGI. I am also OK with the 1881 Census.

I would love for you to post the 1841/51 Census details, as well as the 1901, as I do not have access to them.

I still cannot believe how much I have learned about this family in such a short period of time.

Thanks again.

Janice