Author Topic: Robert Evans born c1862 Caernarvonshire - trying to find his 1st wife and family  (Read 2089 times)

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Evans born c1862 Caernarvonshire - trying to find his 1st wife and family
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 03 September 17 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi Gadget, thank you. I have just had a look. Mary Evans, the wife, must be a 3rd wife then. The Jones link ties in as well, I am looking for some Jones relatives too. I will have a look to find Catherine Evans (Anwyl's) death certificate sometime between 1891 and 1901 when I get back home. I will also look to see if I can find this new marriage to a Mary.

That is very very helpful, thank you Gadget.

Stephen
Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Craig - Glasgow and Co. Antrim
Evans - Merionethshire & Caernarvonshire
Williams - Caernarvonshire & Merionethshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Robert Evans born c1862 Caernarvonshire - trying to find his 1st wife and family
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 03 September 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
Sorry Gadget, it must be my old age, I had not clicked on the link. I can see Annette's kind comments and research now. I will order these certificates today.

Kind regards

Stephen
Turner - Caernarvonshire, Denbigshire, Merionethshire, Shropshire & Staffordshire
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 03 September 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Hi
I'm a descendant of Robert and Anne Evans of Tanyrhiw, Beddgelert. I'm going out now, will reply further later on.
Emyr

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 03 September 17 14:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Emyr, that would be great. I am off out now too but look forward to hearing from you. Stephen
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline EmyrBorth

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
Hi
The Robert in the TANYRHIW family 'Gadget' refers to appears the nearest fit to the 1901 Census info. Robert (jnr) was a brother to my grandfather Samuel Evans. Robert(snr) had 5 children by his first wife, Anne - Griffith, Richard,Samuel, Jane & Robert. After she died he remarried and there were 4 children from the 2nd marriage. Robert (snr) died 1877. In 1881 Census Robert(jnr) is with his aunt Ellen M Davies (Anne's sister, a widow), Cefn Gwynant St, Beddgelert .
Jane died age 19. One of the children from 2nd marriage died as a child.
It's some time since I researched my grandfather's siblings but didn't get very far; at that time the research was restricted to looking thro' censuses on film and Parish Registers at Caernarfon and Dolgellau Archives offices.
The only info about this Beddgelert side of my family that my mother mentioned, was the circumstances of Robert's (Snr) death, which turned out to be partly correct. Have you or anyone else in the family any stories about the family which have been passed down, which I can compare with info I have which I'm delaying disclosing ?
I've had a DNA test, and my family tree is Public on Ancestry. If you had one it would show if we were related.
Emyr

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 06 September 17 20:33 BST (UK) »
Good evening Emyr, thank you very much for this information, it is very interesting.

My interest and connection to this Evans family is through my paternal grandmother, Margaret Jane Evans, more often known as Maggie Jane Evans. I struggled for many years to locate her in any records. Through a lot of help and advice from contributors on this site, I discovered that my paternal grandmother was born on 1st May 1888 in Barmouth and her birth name was Margaret Jane Anwyl. Her mother was a Catherine Anwyl but no father was listed on the birth certificate. Margaret Jane had an older brother, Griffith Anwyl, born on 12th January 1885 in Llangelynnin. Again, no father was listed on the birth certificate.

Shortly after Margaret Jane was born, Catherine Anwyl married Robert Evans (Robert junior). They married on 14th May 1889. Catherine was listed as being a spinster, but Robert was listed as being a widower. I have not been able to track down his first wife yet.

After this date my grandmother's surname is listed as Evans and not Anwyl on Census records. I do not know if Robert formally adopted her or not. My father, who is now deceased, did tell me that his mother, Margaret Jane, was very reluctant to talk about her father. The family rumour was that the father of Griffith and Margaret Jane was already married and that is why no fathers name appears on the birth certificates. I do not know if there is any truth in this though.

Robert and Catherine went on to have the following children:

Evan Anwyl Evans, born 7th January 1891, died 27th March 1892.
Ellen Anne Evans, born 12th March 1893.
Samuel Evans, born 18th January 1896
Evan Anwyl Evans, born 6th April 1900.

I have only recently discovered all of this information, thanks to Gadget and Catherine. You may have seen in the earlier replies to the thread that Catherine died in 1900, shortly after the birth of Evan Anwyl Evans in 1900. Robert went on to quickly marry a 3rd wife, a Mary Jones. I have ordered the death certificate for Catherine and the marriage certificate for Robert Evans/Mary Jones. I should receive these next week.

My grandmother Margaret Jane, I believe, was in boardings at the 1901 Census with a Mary A Davies, a widow, in Barmouth. Mary A Davies was 74 years old.

Her brother, Samuel Evans, again I believe, was a guest at Y-Felin, Llandanwg. He was 6 years old. Staying with a John and Jane Jones, plus their children Thomas Jones and Emmanuel Jones.

I have not been able to find Ellen Anne Evans location in the 1901 Census.

I have not had the opportunity of searching the 1911 census records yet for Griffith, Margaret Jane, Samuel, Ellen Anne or Evan Anwyl Evans.

I have had my DNA test done through Ancestry and my tree is also public. I think that we would only show up as a match though if Robert Evans junior was the biological father of Griffith and Margaret Jane. Margaret Jane went on to marry my grandfather, Llewellyn Turner, in 1924. They settled in Porthmadog, where my father was born.

I am currently updating my tree on Family Tree Maker with all of the new information I have discovered. I will then upload this new tree to Ancestry and delete my old out of date tree. I will then re-attach my DNA test results to this new tree.

I hope that this information helps you Emyr. I appreciate the information that you have given me.

Best wishes

Stephen
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Blueboy007

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 September 17 13:47 BST (UK) »
As an update, I received the death certificate for Catherine Evans (nee ANWYL). She died on 1st June 1900 at Llechwedd, Llandanwg. Robert Evans, her husband, registered the death.

I then obtained the marriage certificate for Robert's marriage to his 3rd wife, Mary Jones. They married at Festiniog Registery Office on 8th October 1900, so only 4 month's after Catherine's death. Mary Jones is recorded as a spinster, her father was Edward Jones, deceased, who was a Police Constable. I know from the 1901 census that she was born in Anglesey, so I will try and track her family back through the 1891, 1881 and 1871 census records.   
Neeson - Co. Antrim
McCormick - Glasgow
Costello - Glasgow

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 09 September 17 15:22 BST (UK) »
As an update, I received the death certificate for Catherine Evans (nee ANWYL).
She died on 1st June 1900 at Llechwedd, Llandanwg.
Robert Evans, her husband, registered the death.

Have you seen these two probate entries

EVANS Catherine of Llechwedd Cyntaf Harlech wife of Robert
Death Date:   1 Jun 1900 Merionethshire, Wales
Probate Date:   21 May 1914
Administration    St. Asaph 21 May to said Robert Evans carter,
revoked by order dated 22nd October 1914

ANWYL otherwise EVANS Catherine of Llechwedd Cyntaf Harlech Merionethshire, spinster
died 1 Jun 1900 Merionethshire, Wales
Probate Date:   6 Nov 1914
Adminstration   St. Asaph 6 Nov to Margaret Evans wife of John

Edit ~ For info. - Is this your Catherine Anwyl on censuses

Edited
I see from your previous post you name Catherine's father as Evan (occ. mariner)
from her m/c to Robert Evans, so you probably already have all this and the census info.

Catherine Anwyl born Llanbedr 1881 census
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q2WS-6TCP

and Catherine with her mother Jane (wife of Mariner) on 1871c
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5P1-GKW

& with her mother Jane (wife of Mariner) & sister Margaret on 1861c
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7KP-Y6F

ANWYL, MARGARET  mnn    WYNNE    
1855  S Quarter in FESTINIOG  Volume 11B  Page 400   

ANWYL, CATHERINE  mnn    WYNN     
1857  M Quarter in FESTINIOG  Volume 11B  Page 406   

1852 marriage entry on North Wales BMD
ANWYL *   Evan   
WYNNE   Jane   
St Peter   Llanbedr Gwynedd (Caernarfon)

* Alternative Entries in the Marriage Indexes.

ANWYL   Evan   RICHARDS   Jane   Llanbedr, St Peter      
ANWYL   Evan   WYNNE   Jane   Llanbedr, St Peter      
RICHARDS   Jane   ANWYL   Evan   Llanbedr, St Peter      
WYNNE   Jane   ANWYL   Evan   Llanbedr, St Peter      

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 09 September 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
Robert Evans married my great grandmother Catherine Anwyl on 14th May 1889 in Dolgelly.

The marriage certificate shows that he was a widower, aged 27 and a general labourer.
He was living in Barmouth.
His father is recorded as being Robert Evans, deceased, who was a lead miner.
The 1891 census states that he was born in Caernarvonshire, aged 31 and a labourer.

I have not been able to find Robert in the 1871 or 1881 census records.

Might this be Robert Evans age 8 born Beddgelert, Merionethshire with his parents & siblings on 1871 census, his father Robert's occupation is a miner
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V51Z-5WR
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk