Author Topic: James and Catherine Creagan  (Read 2908 times)

Offline zumaro

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: James and Catherine Creagan
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 05 September 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lucy again for the information and I guess the absence of information in the case of the lookup.

Funny how a seeming error in my grandmother's marriage certificate actually leads to the correct family history, but this error in the death certificate is probably just an error. The trouble with NZ certificates ordered from NZ BDM is they cost so much, so it is rarely I buy them unless its a direct ancestor. Compare with Scotlandspeople website, which is so cheap you can afford to shrug off errors, and investigate aunts and uncles if they interest you. So while I think a few well placed certificates might narrow down a few issues (like when did James Cregan die), its all too expensive!

Thanks for the Stacks too - I found practically the whole family on findagrave now that I look, but these cemetery records are far more useful.

Thanks Janette too for Mary Sullivan's record - again I had not found that, and it supplies information like the burial date that I didn't have.

I think we have the measure of Georgina and Catherine at this point! But James Cregan remains missing in action. If Georgina's birth certificate existed this might have told us whether he was dead or not by 1868. If Catherine Cregan is busy selling illegal liquor by 1869, I think its a fair bet he was gone by that stage.
Smith: East Lothian, Scotland
Mack: Berwick, Scotland
Fell: Yorkshire, England
Smeeton: Leicester, England
Haigh: Marsden, Yorkshire, England
Sullivan: Kerry, Ireland