Author Topic: 1871 census please. Wiltshire. Whiteparish.  (Read 6504 times)

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: 1871 census please. Wiltshire. Whiteparish.
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 16 August 05 20:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue.
Thanks for the info. I recently learnt that Agnes and  Georgina BETTERIDGE were cousins and not sisters as I had previously assumed.
Thanks for all your help.
dudjac
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline ex1066er

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 14 August 06 04:06 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I've just done a search for "Betteridge" on this site, and came across your 2005 quest to find John Betteridge of Whiteparish, Wiltshire.

I don't have a direct answer, but I'm researching my Betteridge roots in Sussex and Whiteparish sounded familiar. I searched my files and found from 1881 Census two Betteridge families in Eastbourne,Sussex and both families had Betteridge members born in Whiteparish.

I'm sure there is some link between those born in Whiteparish and those born in Eastbourne (possibly their grandparents or uncles), and between us we may have the answer.

Do you have any Betteridge links about 1800 to the Cotswolds area (Gloucestershire) ?   My earliest Betteridge in Eastbourne is a John Betteridge married about 1807 in Eastbourne. I've found him on the 1841 Census - John Betteridge born about 1780 in Stow or Stoke in Gloucestershire ... but I can't find a baptism in Gloucestershire.

If you are still on the Betteridge search ... let me know.
John 
Gambrill Reed Taylor Selway Carveth Degan McGrath

Offline dudjac

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 14 August 06 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi John.

Cant be of much help I'm afraid.

My g.g.ggrandfather was a Joseph parson b. 1792 in Farley, Wiltshire. Two of his sons married Betteridge girls.
Silas b.1834, married Georgina Betteridge and Levi b.1844, married Sarah Betteridge. I believe Georgina and Sarah were cousins. There was a double wedding in 1867.
When Silas married Georgina she had an illegitimate son called  John who was born 1860.
I have a few more details as to what happened to Georgina and her son if you want them.
Other than that I have no real further info on the Betteridge family.
Ho

Hope this is of interest to you.

Dud.
Jacobs- Dorset
Parsons- Wiltshire.
Masons- Farnham Surrey
Johns-  Soho London

Offline solsticedreamer

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 February 14 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I have traced my grandparents back to my great x 6 grandfather William Betteridge (c.1730) and recall some Parsons in my tree.
I have a William Parsons (b.1845) married to a Mary Chandler, my great, great grandfather was George Chandler.
Levi Joseph Parsons (c.1844) married to  Agnes Betteridge although now looking at FreeBMD i have this wrong and need to add some family members!
Ireland/South Wales~Sullivan, Flahavan/Flavin, Gaul
Portsea~Hawkins, Duke, Fletcher, Chandler
Whiteparish/Downton, Wiltshire~Betteridge, Edsall,Lovedee
Quebec, County Durham~Williams, Wilson
Scotland/Northumberland~Rennie. Turnbull, Armstrong, Graham, Lillie, Chrissop