Author Topic: Mckinnon family Parish of Kirkoswald 18th century  (Read 1570 times)

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mckinnon family Parish of Kirkoswald 18th century
« on: Monday 04 September 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
Has anyone done any research into the Mckinnon family in the Parish of Kirkoswald and the surrounding district of Ayrshire. I can, with some certainty, go back to John Mckinnon who was born Maybole in 1802. I think that his parents were James McKinnon (McKinnay in the parish register) and Mary McCleland.
Family folklore has the McKinnons coming from Arran but I have nothing concrete to support that view.

It would be great to hear from anyone.
Many thanks. Alan
Bookless,Varty, Collins, Birchall, Nicholson, Corlett, Barnett

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Mckinnon family Parish of Kirkoswald 18th century
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 13 April 19 14:31 BST (UK) »
Hi, I'm now researching the mckinnon side of my family and found your post. Mine were in Lesmahagow with Robert married to Agnes Brown having Abigail in about 1826.lm sure there is a Arran connection with mine. Some have Robert born in durisdeer, Dumfries-shire but I'm not sure about that. I think that stems from Robert alledgedly having a son Walter who was convicted of stealing coal and being transported to Australia. There was a Walter having a Robert in durisdeer, that could be a red herring!
Anyway, if you can help me in anyway that would be great. If there's a connection I can give you what I know.
Regards Elaine

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 19 April 19 16:30 BST (UK) »
Hi there. Not aware of a Robert McKinnon or any connection to Lesmahagow. My ancestor, John McKinnon was born Maybole 1802, married Elizabeth Hutcheson 1824 in Kilmarnock. They had a daughter in Kilmarnock 1827. The family then move to Govern. The ancestors seem to originate from the Ayrshire coast around Culzean. Other than family folklore, the only connection to Arran that we have is its close proximity. Our families may well be related but there does not appear to be a connection as yet. Happy hunting.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 19 April 19 16:43 BST (UK) »
The family then move to Govern.
Could that be Govan or Girvan?
Cowban

Offline mientajb

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 19 April 19 16:55 BST (UK) »
Sorry. Govan. Thanks.

Offline elaine gray

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 19 April 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
Hi, my Robert married in Lesmahagow but I find your Ayrshire connection interesting. I had a look for abigail hair, who is very possibly his mother. I have found one born in Ayrshire. So, that is worth further research.
Since my last message on the Mckinnons I have been suffering from hay-fever. Surrounded by rapeseed here
Got sore eyes 👀.
As soon as I can I will be looking into this more and will post it for other McKinnon researchers.
Thanks for the reply.
Elaine