Author Topic: James Cartwright  (Read 1710 times)

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Cartwright
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 07 September 17 19:50 BST (UK) »
The witnesses to the 1822 Marriage are William Fisher and Mary Tinsley. Interesting about the button maker/Bread St. connection. In the 1841 Census, John is an Apprentice Button Maker -- he later became a Bedstead Maker and then a Cabinet Maker-- and the family is living on Bread St. (No. 1). I wonder, although the partnership had been dissolved in 1831, was William still in business on his own in 1841? The names William and James seems to run through the family. Arthur Cartwright b. 1866, had three sons: Arthur, William and James. His father was John Cartwright and James Cartwright was his grandfather.
Not necessarily.Are there any recorded witnesses recorded at the 1822 marriage who may be related?
Also,there is a newspaper snippet of 1831 recording the dissolution of a partnership between a George Souter and William Cartwright,button makers of 14 Bread Street.James' son John ks given as a button maker in the 1841 census so perhaps William was family.I can't find him on the 1841 census.A very long shot has a William Cartwright dying in Birmingham(though in Princess Street) in 1833 aged 71,therefore born approx 1762-a reasonable date for a brother of John?
I'll look to see if I can find a common parentage for a William(1762) and John(1771).

Regards
Roger

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 07 September 17 19:59 BST (UK) »
The witnesses to the 1822 Marriage are William Fisher and Mary Tinsley. Interesting about the button maker/Bread St. connection. In the 1841 Census, John is an Apprentice Button Maker -- he later became a Bedstead Maker and then a Cabinet Maker-- and the family is living on Bread St. (No. 1). I wonder, although the partnership had been dissolved in 1831, was William still in business on his own in 1841? The names William and James seems to run through the family. Arthur Cartwright b. 1866, had three sons: Arthur, William and James. Arthur was the son of John Cartwright and James Cartwright was his grandfather.
Not necessarily.Are there any recorded witnesses recorded at the 1822 marriage who may be related?
Also,there is a newspaper snippet of 1831 recording the dissolution of a partnership between a George Souter and William Cartwright,button makers of 14 Bread Street.James' son John ks given as a button maker in the 1841 census so perhaps William was family.I can't find him on the 1841 census.A very long shot has a William Cartwright dying in Birmingham(though in Princess Street) in 1833 aged 71,therefore born approx 1762-a reasonable date for a brother of John?
I'll look to see if I can find a common parentage for a William(1762) and John(1771).

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 08 September 17 10:06 BST (UK) »
I think George Souter carried on the business as he went bankrupt in the early 1840s.This fact,combined with not being able to identify William in the 1841 census,perhaps increases the likelihood that the 1833 death is his.However,I haven't been able to identify a pair of brothers as suggested.

Regards
Roger

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 08 September 17 17:17 BST (UK) »
James Cartwright has proven very illusive. I keep examining the 1841 Census and the Y and N, which are so close, and am not totally convinced either way. Wishful thinking, I know. There are two other names on the 1841 Census (Julia Freath and Elizabeth Parkes) but they were both born in Warwickshire. The fact that the Cartwrights seem to pull names out of a hat also doesn't help. Very frustrating! You have given me a lot to think about. Regards, Jackie

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 08 September 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
I have just taken another look at the 1841 Census. James' son, William, is also listed as not being born in Warwickshire. Not sure what to make of it yet.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 08 September 17 18:47 BST (UK) »
I assumed,by the way he is listed,that William is not a son of James,but probably a relative(e.g. a grandson of William,erstwhile partner of George Souter,if that William died in 1833.
It is difficult to be entirely confident of the "born in county" status.

Regards
Roger

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 09 September 17 05:17 BST (UK) »
I agree about the Census. Both of my great-grandparents were born in Cheshire, as were most of their children. They later moved to Tyldesley, and at least one Census lists everyone as being born there. Another frustrating thing about the Cartwrights: John Cartwright is a direct ancestry and, while I have been able to find Baptism Records for his sisters, he is as elusive as his father, James.

Offline jackie hubbard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 19 January 18 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger, I hope you're still out there and willing to look at one more record for James Cartwright, born c. 1771. Quick recap: 1841 Census lists James with a (likely) N next to his name. We looked at the UK, Royal Hospital Chelsea Pensioner Admissions and Discharges and an entry for James Cartwright, born c. 1771 (age 43) in Burrington, Herefordshire. His occupation was listed as Cordwainer (same as James Cartwright in 1841 Census). I have re-examined the Chelsea Pensioner record and think that the O.P. next to his name stands for Out Pensioner (Not attached to the hospital). I have found another entry for James Cartwright in the Regimental Registers of Pensioners: Residence, Birmingham, and, in the 1847 column, "died 17/5"  My great-great grandfather James Cartwright died 17 May, 1847 in Birmingham at the age of 76. His occupation on the death entry: Boot and Shoemaker, a Pensioner. Could that be an O.P. Chelsea Pensioner?