Author Topic: Searching for nurse in Oxford area  (Read 1719 times)

Offline Maggie J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Searching for nurse in Oxford area
« on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:22 BST (UK) »
I have found an ancestor, who was born in Halifax, Yorkshire, was working as a nurse at St Johns Hospital (the Hospital for the Incurables) in Cowley, Oxford, in 1891, and would like to research this. I have contacted St Johns, which is now a nursing home, to see whether they have any records but they do not. I am going to Oxford next week and would like to go to the library to see whether they hold any records. Does anyone with local knowledge know which is the best library to go to. I'm sure there a family history, local history, or archive department in Oxford and would appreciate advice about where to head for.
Maggie J

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Searching for nurse in Oxford area
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 07 September 17 22:40 BST (UK) »
Hello Maggie -

Have a look here - www.oxfordshirehealtharchives.nhs.uk/

Health records are, in the main, kept at Oxfordshire History Centre, coincidentally also in Cowley.  There's a link to them from the URL I've given you.

Wendy
Oxfordshire FHS helpdesk

Offline Maggie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Thank you Wendy, I have booked to visit the history centre next week.
I have tried in the past to find a record of her training in the national archives, without success, but am hoping to find out something about the hospital, and if all else fails I can get a photograph of the hospital as it is now!
Maggie

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:19 BST (UK) »
Maggie, did you follow up on the link I gave you in 2012?

See www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=595142.

This hospital is not on the Oxfordshire Health Archives list.  I'm just trying to save you a wasted journey if that's your only reason for visiting Cowley.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:51 BST (UK) »
You might find this link helpful - http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/5b2ad22a-612b-4115-98af-b63972e1ad89

This suggests that the Berkshire Archives in Reading might have something relevant.

Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Maggie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 17 18:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you for remembering Carol! Yes I did but didn't get anywhere. The person I contacted was not aware of any records in existence. Since booking to go to the local history library I have had a reply from the archivist to say that they could not find any records there either. They directed me to St Johns website and I have sent another email to the All Saints sisters hoping it reaches another department. I will also investigate the Reading archives.
While browsing on-line this afternoon I have found a book advertised called 'All Saints Sisters of the poor - an Anglican sisterhood in the 19th century' published by the Church of England record society which sounds interesting and may be relevant. I was going to contact the library again to see whether they have it as a reference book. They may do if it is about a local community.
I am not coming to Oxfordshire just for this but visiting nearby and have some free time. Decided to revisit this lady and make it a mission while I am there! Will let you know how I get on.
Thanks for your interest. Maggie

Offline Iffley

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 17 18:21 BST (UK) »
Maggie -

While browsing on-line this afternoon I have found a book advertised called 'All Saints Sisters of the poor - an Anglican sisterhood in the 19th century' published by the Church of England record society which sounds interesting and may be relevant. I was going to contact the library again to see whether they have it as a reference book. They may do if it is about a local community.
I am not coming to Oxfordshire just for this but visiting nearby and have some free time. Decided to revisit this lady and make it a mission while I am there! Will let you know how I get on.

Glad the Oxfordshire archivist had a look for you.

With regard to their book holdings, their catalogue is at www.oxforshire.gov.uk/heritagesearch.  You need to use the advanced search.  Use the this exact phrase, and put in
All Saints Sisters of the poor

There are some hits there.

For records, the National Archives reference Carol has given you looks excellent - well done, Carol!

If you're considering visiting the Berkshire Record Office - do you have a CARN card?  You can take the necessary documents and get one on the spot.

Wendy

Offline Maggie J

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 17 22:50 BST (UK) »
Thank you Wendy, I looked at the books suggested in the catalogue and will ask for them when I go to the library. I should at least be able to get some background information from them and they may provide references for further research.
I do have a CARN card so will take it with me when I go just in case!
Again thanks for your help.
Maggie

Offline GillyJ

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 September 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
The national archives at kew have a lot of records and Scarlet finders have a wealth of info on nurses. My great aunt was a nurse in WW1 and was in Cowley at some point. I have published her autograph album from that period.