Author Topic: PICKARD family in India 1900s  (Read 1281 times)

Offline PGS1000

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
PICKARD family in India 1900s
« on: Friday 08 September 17 14:03 BST (UK) »
I'm trying to follow forwards a particular Pickard family in India during the 20th century.

Esme Anne Pickard was born on 19th July 1907 in Bombay. She was christened at St Thomas’s Cathedral. Her father was Gerald Pickard.

Looking at Find MY Past I can see two entries of E Pickard (b. 1907) leaving the UK - one in 1932 for Calcutta and one in 1947 for Freemantle, Australia.

In Ancestry there is one incoming reference to Miss Esme Pickard arriving London May 1937 from Calcutta onwards to Glasgow, aged 29.

Two Esmes crop up married in the UK, one in 1946 Hammersmith and one Esme A in Barnet 1937 (marrying George S Young).

I suppose we can deduce that Esme travelled to the UK possibly twice but almost certainly once in May 1937 to marry George Young later that year. And a George Young was born in Barnet in 1909 though this may be a different George, of course.

There are then four Young children born to mothers with maiden name Pickard in the few years that follow the marriage, three in Nottinghamshire and one in Yorkshire

And if I was creating an imaginary jigsaw then George died in WW2, Esme reverted to Pickard (unlikely) and then emigrated to Australia! However, I also have a George Young (born 1907) dying in Hendon in 1978 which does shatter the jigsaw! And it is always possible that Esme travelled to Nottinghamshire to get away from the bombing in London.

Advice please as to the next move, if you don't mind.

Peter

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: PICKARD FAMILY IN INDIA 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Friday 08 September 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat

The E Pickard that I can see going to Australia in 1947 age 40 was Mrs E Pickard

E Pickard going to Calcutta in 1932 - address was Atherstone,  S. Farnborough
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PGS1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 08 September 17 15:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie .. that effectively eliminates the Australia link. So the Esme A link marrying George S Young is the most likely! (However, I can't find her death though an Esme did die in Warwickshire with a date of birth some 6 years different from my Esme).

But how do I pin Esme down any further??

Thanks again Rosie,

Peter

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 08 September 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
Have you tried to find marriages of the children ? This may indicate where she was particularly if they married in roughly the same area.
Also have you looked for them on the 1939 register?
Have you searched in Scotland ?
The Esme born Warks. is not yours.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 08 September 17 16:13 BST (UK) »

There are then four Young children born to mothers with maiden name Pickard in the few years that follow the marriage, three in Nottinghamshire and one in Yorkshire

There is a marriage in Mansfield RD in Dec qtr 1934 that could account for the Mansfield Notts Young/Pickard births.  There is also a Leeds marriage in 1942 that could account for the Yorkshire birth
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline PGS1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 08 September 17 17:48 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Rosie and Jim1 .. will come back after checking your thoughts!!

Peter

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 08 September 17 20:08 BST (UK) »
The address they give when they go out to India in 1937
is 3 George Street Edinburgh and George is a Life assurance official and the ships manifesto indicates they are going to live in India
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 08 September 17 20:17 BST (UK) »
if that is the correct couple GS Young and his wife again have been in the UK staying at the George Hotel ,George St Edinburgh before they return home to Calcutta in December 1947 sailed from Glasgow on the Brocklebank
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,

Offline PGS1000

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: PICKARD family in India 1900s
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 09 September 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you.

Putting the part jigsaw together again:

o   Gerald Pickard
o   I have: Gerald Pickard married Irene Lissenburg, born 1886,  in St Thomas’ Cathedral, Bombay on 16th June 1906. Gerald was 29, an assistant with Asquith and Lord while his father was William Pickard.
o   Googling “Asquith and Lord” gave me just one oblique result mentioning clothes and inventory so the  company will probably be an import/export one.
o   Esme Pickard
o   The Pickards had a child, Esme Anne Pickard, on 19th July 1907 in Bombay. She was christened at St Thomas’s; Gerald is described as a ‘traveller’.
o   E Pickard going to Calcutta in 1932 – UK address was Atherstone, S. Farnborough (Rosie).
o   Esme travelled to the UK, possibly twice, but almost certainly once, in May 1937 to marry George Young later that year. (FindMyPast but supposition).
o   The address they give when they go out to India in 1937 is 3 George Street Edinburgh and George is a Life assurance official and the ships manifesto indicates they are going to live in India (Radcliff).
o   If that is the correct couple GS Young and his wife again have been in the UK staying at the George Hotel ,George St Edinburgh before they return home to Calcutta in December 1947 sailed from Glasgow on the Brocklebank. (Radcliff).
o   
o   George Young
o   A George Young was born in Barnet in 1909 though this may be a different George, of course. (FindMyPast).
o   Four Young children (three in Nottinghamshire and one in Yorkshire) born to mothers with maiden name Pickard in the few years that follow the marriage. (FindMyPast). One Nottingham child, XXX, born 1937, so this may eliminate Nottingham (plus Rosie’s comment). The Wetherby child (XXX) born in 1944.
o   (The trail is difficult ..for example a XXX Young married a XXX Pickard in Willesden 1942)
o    Answer to Jim1: In Scotland, there is one George Scott Young, born 1911, died 1950, and four George Youngs born between 1901 and 1907.
o   Answer to Jim1: Looking at a friends 1939, there are four London George S Youngs, not married to Esme. In the whole register there are no Esme Youngs!

So it is possible that the Youngs were  in India during the war but Radcliff has found an entry which says they went back to India in 1947 (Independence Year so unlikely they stayed .. perhaps to visit ageing relatives or to wind up affairs). They would have been used to travelling so this might have been a short visit.to the UK.

That ‘Scott’ second name for the death in Fife is interesting (George S Young married Esme

One Esme (precise search) death in UK only - Warwickshire. Jim1 says not mine!

Radcliff, I don’t know where you obtained the trip in 1947 to India data from but thank you. Did the passenger list include children? (Though they might have left the children with relatives in Scotland)!
Thanks again everyone,

Peter