Author Topic: Gosforth and the Great War History Trail  (Read 881 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Gosforth and the Great War History Trail
« on: Monday 11 September 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
I was at Newcastle library yesterday and came across a wonderful four fold leaflet called

GOSFORTH AND THE GREAT WAR HISTORY TRAIL

This is packed with loads of interesting information relating to people, places memorials and graves in the Gosforth area under eleven headings:

1 The Maternity and Child Welfare Centre, Church Road
2 The War Memorial Column in Central Park, St Nicholas Avenue
3 Gosforth Parish Church of St Nicholas, Church Road
4 Gosforth Parish Churchyard, Church Road
5 St Charles RC Church
6 All Saints Church, West Avenue
7 Northumberland War Hospital, Jubilee Road
8 Ashburton Cemetery
9 Armstrong Whitworth Aircraft Factory
10 Trinity Church,  High Street
 11  Gosforth Park (which was a training camp location)

For instance, one article writes about how wounded service men were brought by rail to the West Gosforth Station (now the Regent Centre Metro Station) and walked or were taken by horse drawn cart to the Northumberland War Hospital (St Nicholas, Jubilee Road).

The leaflet relates that if anyone would like to have further information to contact the secretary at the Gosforth Community History Group via Trinity Centre (which I presume will be at Trinity Church on the High Street, Gosforth).  The leaflet I have mentioned is on the leaflet stand in the local studies 6th floor at the Newcastle City Library.
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner