Author Topic: William Snowling Stearn died 22nd November 1912 in Wangaratta Victoria  (Read 1318 times)

Offline Ellen Blackham

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Snowling Stearn died 22nd November 1912 in Wangaratta Victoria
« on: Tuesday 12 September 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
William Snowling Stearn married Catherine Fleming 30th December 1862 at St Stephens Church Toodjay  ( formally Newcastle ) Western Australia. On the 17th September 1863 William & Catherine were witness's at the marriage of Ann Hackett & Charles Brown in The Wesley Church in Perth.
On the 29th July 1864 their son Daniel was born at Warnambool Victoria. I have been searching for many years as to how they got over to Victoria.
NSW Police Gazette 12th July 1893 Notice under Missing Friends it has WILLIAM SNOWLING STEARN a native of England said to have left Western Australia per ship "Kestral" in 1864 for Sydney. I have never found a passenger List for this ship.
William Snowling Stearn was a Convict from Suffolk sent out on the "Adelaide" arriving at Fremantle 18th July 1855.
I have all of his information in Suffolk & Victoria, just can not find how they came over to Victoria so hoping some kind person might be able to solve this mystery for me
Thank You
Ellen

Offline cando

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: William Snowling Stearn died 22nd November 1912 in Wangaratta Victoria
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
The KESTRAL/KESTREL appears to be a coastal trader and occasionally in the shipping news there were mentions of one or two passengers.  Coastal traders would dock at various ports so possibly Wm and Catherine disembarked at Portland or Warrnambool.  You can search the KESTRAL/KESTREL shipping arrivals and departures on TROVE.

http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article3366913
Mention of Wm in court.

Cando

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 11:43 BST (UK) »

Offline Ellen Blackham

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 12 September 17 12:57 BST (UK) »
I found a passenger list for the "Kestral" leaving Port of Fremantle to Sydney NSW 31st  March 1866.
I looked for the Stearn name but no luck,then thought maybe they changed their name (because he was a convict ) so looked for a  William & Catherine & found them under the name of Fibbs with a William has to be their son William born 1866 but never been able to find where he was born, either here in WA or on board ship? I have contact with William Jnr  grandson who lives in Adelaide who has never been able to find his birth either. Thank you for suggesting looking up the"Kestral"