Author Topic: Can anyone read this occupation please, from the 1939  (Read 22576 times)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Can anyone read this occupation please, from the 1939
« Reply #27 on: Friday 17 November 17 16:31 GMT (UK) »
We seem to be going around in circles.

Could I suggest the first page is re- read and reply #9  and other replies on 13th September  ~

Food Can Material Layout supervisor and engineering clerk

;D ;D ;D

Also:

He lived in the Perivale/Greenford area of W. London.

I'm happy that this is now solved .... the planning of food cans seems the most logical.

Think it resurfaces because it comes up as a highlighted snip on the Forum page
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 17 November 17 18:05 GMT (UK) »
Food Cans Material layout
supervisor and engineering clerk

I worked in an engineering company in the 1950s when metals were still rationed and the government of the day would have to allocate what raw materials went to what rolling mill and which industry got the finished metals.  As a supervisor, he would have had to have made regular records of quantities & weights of sheets received, used and discarded as scrap.   All those records, along with similar ones on the Factory Shop Floor would have been collated and sent to somebody like me in the Office who filled in an official government form which would be sent off to the Ministry of Works.

One year, there was a bit of a flap at the heavy engineering company I worked for.  We'd moved into new premises and when the figures were totted up at the end of the year there was a hefty tonnage of missing metal. Numbers were crunched again and it was deemed that scrappage tonnage sold didn't equate to what had been scrapped in the factory.  It took a few days to realise that the scrap metal merchant hadn't been "light fingered", but that the scrap metal had been heaped on earth and the missing tonnage had sunk below ground level.   ::)
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline flownthenest

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 23 November 17 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find out why an apparently healthy uncle wasn't called up to fight in WW2.    He'd have been 28 ...

This is what it gives as his occupation ....Food Can ......... Layout supervisor and enquiry clerk
Pegler/Smith/Keen/Riddle-Thomas/Slocombe/Wheadon/Hewett/Taft/Poxon/Gibson/Salt/Muir...and on hubby's line, Welsh/Moore/ Moor/Rollo/Rolley/Rowley/Dunbar/Treloar/Lane/Dillon/Thompson/Jones. This is a work in progress, so expecting more names to be added...

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 24 November 17 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I reckon that the missing word is "transport".

....................................transport supervisor and engineering clerk.
Not convinced about the first bit.

Bob

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 25 November 17 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Knowing he was in a reserved occupation and being jogged by Rena'a comment I have tried to join the (wide spaced!) dots.
How about the first word being foud, being taken as an abbreviation for foundry. To link that to material you get "raw". So I get:

"Foundry raw material transport supervisor and engineering clerk."

Are there foundrymen in the same area area and did metal box have a foundry or was it all sheet metal?

Bob

Offline bobalong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 25 November 17 09:01 GMT (UK) »
But then again. From:
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Metal_Box_Co

WWII Made many things for war service including 140 million metal parts for respirators, 200 million items for precautions against gas attacks, 410 million machine gun belt clips, 1.5 million assembled units for anti-aircraft defence, mines, grenades, bomb tail fins, jerrican closures and water sterilisation kits, many different types of food packing including 5000 million cans, as well as operating agency factories for the government making gliders, production of fuses and repair of aero engines[4]

Metal Box was a big company so London may not have made these but Metal Box did make a lot of cans.

Bob

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 25 November 17 09:08 GMT (UK) »
Metal Box did make a lot of cans.

That's why most of us are satisfied with what the original poster has accepted as the correct transcription (given that the person in question worked for Metal Box)  :)
 Food Can Material Layout supervisor and engineering clerk
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Saturday 25 November 17 12:08 GMT (UK) »
But then again. From:
https://www.gracesguide.co.uk/Metal_Box_Co

WWII Made many things for war service including 140 million metal parts for respirators, 200 million items for precautions against gas attacks, 410 million machine gun belt clips, 1.5 million assembled units for anti-aircraft defence, mines, grenades, bomb tail fins, jerrican closures and water sterilisation kits, many different types of food packing including 5000 million cans, as well as operating agency factories for the government making gliders, production of fuses and repair of aero engines[4]

Metal Box was a big company so London may not have made these but Metal Box did make a lot of cans.

Bob

There was a Metal Box company in Hull, Yorkshire, where I was born
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Zoe Ansell

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 06 December 17 04:34 GMT (UK) »
It's not Food Can Material Layout, it's Food Can Allowance Targ__er (targeter?) and engineering clerk.
That would logically have been a restricted job as he probably worked on rationing for Ministry of Food. The engineering bit would have referred to tinning and manufacture as tin was in short supply.