Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 13849 times)

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 September 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:9Q97-Y399-QQJG?i=1253&cc=1784216

I had discounted this marriage because they have shown Maggie's father as Angus NOBLE.  Perhaps a mistake although there seems to be a Maggie Noble with parents Angus and Ann in the 1881 Scottish census.  She is 6 so age is different.

William Arthur's obituary might help.

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 September 17 15:55 BST (UK) »
William Arthur Smith obituary in the Globe and Mail on Feb 20, 1971, page 49.

Says he died at his home on Feb 19.  Husband of Irene Adams, father of D.W., brother of Daisy (Mrs Harry Swinbourne) and Harold Smith.  St. James Crematorium.

RK

(Didn't name son because it sounds like he is still living.  You likely know his name anyway :))

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 September 17 17:39 BST (UK) »
Just wondering about Daisy's adoptive brother (couldn't find obits for the adoptive parents - though familysearch has death cert and burial for Hiram John Fredenburg - 1929).  Hoped his obit might mention his adoptive sister... no luck there :'(

William Hiram Fredenburg - died July 16, 1976 in Mississauga.  Husband of Edna Smart.  Father of William Fredenburg and Donald J Fredenburg of Mount Royal, Quebec.  Grandfather of J, A, P and S. Interment Highland Memorial Gardens. 

RK

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 September 17 20:02 BST (UK) »
Hi RunKitty - thank you for the Obit! I could not find it at all on Globe and Mail.
Sadly William's son David died in his forties, in the 80's from leukaemia. If he was alive, he would live in my house instead of me!

I don't think that my grandmother stayed in touch with either adoptive brother, though she did remain in touch with adoptive mom Sarah Fredenburgh, and my mother knew her. She was in a nursing home in Newmarket, I believe. Sarah didn't like that my grandmother married a foreigner though (from England!), so they were estranged for a bit.

I know the info on my grandma tho, so information from her adoptive brother's on her wouldn't be so helpful. Just about Maggie and whoever was the birth father of my grandmother, Edward Noble or not.

Did you search on the Globe and Mail website to find the obituary?
What is the best way to search for obits?

Thanks!
ss

Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 15 September 17 22:09 BST (UK) »
I don't know if the following is leading you down the wrong path or not, but I think it's worth looking into.

In Nov. 1909 there is a border crossing (by train) for a Maggie Noble (aged 23, so 2 yrs older than we are looking for).  She is listed as a domestic worker, living in Toronto, born in Nairn, Scotland, with a relative of brother Joseph Noble, at 3 Simpson St, Nairn, and traveling to a Mrs. Lloyd A Woolley at 112 Herkimer (?) St, Buffalo, New York. Passage paid by a Mrs. McDuffy.  However, she was debarred from entering the USA, as she was labelled a criminal.

I tried to find Joseph Noble at 3 Simpson St, Nairn.  In 1901 there was a Margaret Noble (in her 60's) living at that address.  Looking at other people living in the area, and according to Google maps, less than a one minute walk away, at 18 Harbour St. in 1901, is this:

Name:    Angus Noble
Estimated birth year:    abt 1837
Relationship:    Head
Spouse's name :    Annie Noble
Where born:    Croy, Invernesshire
Registration Number:    123
Registration district:    Nairn
Civil Parish:    Nairn
Town:    Nairn
County:    Nairnshire
Address:    18 Harbour St
ED:    3
Household schedule number:    2
LINE:    7
Roll:    CSSCT1901_37
Household Members:    
Name    Age
Angus Noble    64
Annie Noble    50
John Noble    23
Margaret Cameron    13  scholar, boarder, born 1888 in Rafford, Elginshire
George McLeod    28
James Free    30
Thomas Connell    59
William Noble    16

If this is Angus Noble and Annie nee Ross, could this be your Maggie Cameron that took on their name??

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 15 September 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
bbart: This sounds extremely plausible, though I don't know why she'd put "Edward Noble" and a marriage date on my grandmother's birth record, except that she seems unreliable with facts.
Swinbourne, Hunt, Maxwell, Taylor, Williamson, Burt, Cant, Cameron, Leavesly, Cooper, Rankine, Taylor, Anderson

Offline RunKitty

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 15 September 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi RunKitty - thank you for the Obit! I could not find it at all on Globe and Mail.
Did you search on the Globe and Mail website to find the obituary?............
What is the best way to search for obits?

Thanks!
ss

Hi,

If you are in the Toronto area, you can search both the Toronto Star and the Globe and Mail for free, online, using your library card.   I think most libraries in or near Toronto have access to both of these databases.  Sign in to your library site, choose the Star or Globe from the list of databases... once you are in one of them, select "Historical Newspapers databases" at the top of your search bar... and you will be able to search both of these papers at the same time :)

If your library doesn't have access to the Star, it may have access to the Globe (I think that is more widely available).  Worth checking the list of databases.   

I think that An...y has some of the Toronto newspapers in its collection.  I don't know for sure, because I don't have a current subscription. 

There is also the free Ancestry Library edition... available at many libraries (you have to be there in person to access this database)

The Toronto Star has a paid site as well.  Anyone can search here (good if you don't have library or Ancestry access).   I believe their rates are quite reasonable. 
http://pqasb.pqarchiver.com/thestar/search.html

You often have to be very creative with your search terms!!  The more you do it, the more tricks you learn!!

RK

Offline saraslater

• RootsChat Extra
  • sk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 16 September 17 00:35 BST (UK) »
Thanks! I absolutely have access to the Toronto Public Library, and use it all the time for books. I did not know about the online searches of newspapers through it. I'll have to look into what ancestry information they have and start researching that way.

I also have an Ancestry subscription, and have found it easy to find relatives on all other great grandparents, except for  Maggie & whoever my grandma's dad is.

Online bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 16 September 17 02:20 BST (UK) »
Just in case the Margaret Cameron boarding with Angus and Annie turns out to be the right Margaret, Annie was nee Ross, and Annie's mother was a Margaret Ross nee Cameron.  I'm thinking that makes boarding Margaret a niece? Cousin? 
After digging in Scotlandspeople, I found a seemingly well sourced tree showing the above at http://pardoes.info/jandap2016/2037.htm although Angus and Annie had more children than what is shown.
Perhaps Maggie did marry an Edward Noble, but not officially, as they were related somehow?