Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 14048 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #153 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:41 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know when (year) Margaret/Maggie Noble daughter of Angus Noble & Annie Ross was born?

I'm losing track fast  ;)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:46 BST (UK) »
Cosmac - the Margaret with Mary Ann is her niece, daughter of Margaret Cant as per the 1891 census,  We think in the 1901, she has just put Fraser as the last name.

Annie -  The Margaret born to Angus and Ann was born around 1875 per the 1881 census.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Thursday 21 September 17 22:47 BST (UK) »
Trying to pin down the Margaret Fraser in the 1901 census with Peter and Mary Ann.  Is she still in Scotland in 1911 - did she marry there.  Trying to rule her in or out.  On the 1891 Mary Ann had a Margaret Cameron with her.  There are a few Margaret/Maggie Frasers the right age in Nairnshire in 1911 that Saraslater might try buying the records for

I still think Maggie/Margaret Cameron/Fraser are the same person? Niece on 1891 & dau on 1901.

Maggie/Margaret Cameron, Fraser & Noble all seem to disappear after 1901.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Thursday 21 September 17 23:02 BST (UK) »
I realize that Margaret Cameron in 1891 is Mary Ann's niece and assume that the one in 1901 as Margaret Fraser is the same Margaret taking the Fraser surname because she is in that household.
If we can find her on the 1911 Scottish census or a Scottish marriage in the early 1900s that could eliminate her as the Maggie Noble/Cameron in Canada.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Thursday 21 September 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
If I'm following...

Maggie Noble was born 1875 & OUR Maggie Cameron 1890 that's a big age difference 15 yrs.

Maggie Noble was aged 24 when she married in 1912 (b1888) which would rule out the NOBLES' daughter who would have been 37.

On 1911 Canadian census Maggie Cammeron was born 1889 & likely ours giving her birthplace as Canada so she wouldn't be deported maybe  ???

I can't work out why Maggie Cameron would use the surname Noble & give the Nobles as her parents when she married though as her biological aunt Mary Ann would have seemed an obvious choice?

Annie

Added...So far there's no NOBLE or CAMERON link in the DNA as yet making it even more confusing :-\  ;D

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Friday 22 September 17 00:58 BST (UK) »
Something else which I forgot about was...

When Edna Daisy Noble was born in 1911 her mother was Maggie Cameron & father Edward Noble.

Maggie & Edward were supposedly married 1906 in Fraserburgh.

Apart from the fact there is no marriage with those names +\- 2 yrs anywhere in Scotland, Fraserburgh is miles away from Elgin & Nairn where OUR Maggie seems to be from.

http://www.britishdistance.com/distance/3570281-3571549

Why would she mention a place so far away from her usual home?

I had a search for anything which may stand out, out of curiosity & nothing doing.

I thought her choice of baby's name was very unusual given the part of the world she lived but a closer look, could the Edna be some reference to Edward whether married or not?

Has there been no Passenger list found with any of those names which may help.

Annie

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Friday 22 September 17 02:01 BST (UK) »

Maggie & Edward were supposedly married 1906 in Fraserburgh.

I'm not sure where you saw the Fraserburgh connection. ???  Daisy's birth cert. just states Scotland for place of marriage.

Do you know something I missed, or did you dip into our case of celebration wine already?

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Friday 22 September 17 04:46 BST (UK) »
Fraserburgh was talked about with an incorrect Edward Noble.

From the owner of an ancestry tree that I messaged today.  She follows the line of Elizabeth Fraser d/o Peter Fraser and Mary Ann Cameron.

Hello. As far as I know Maggie Fraser was Peter Fraser's illegimate daughter. When he married Mary Ann Cameron the mother of Maggie gave her to them. This is the story my mother heard. Maggie then went on to have 2 illegitimate children, Lily and Wullock Fraser (could have been different fathers). Not sure what happened to Maggie but she gave both her children (Lily and Wullock ) to Mary Ann and Peter to raise. Mary Ann had numerous of her own children then took in these kids. Good woman. Lily was raised as a younger sister to my grandmother and Lily emigrated to Canada in the 1950 s. She had no children and died in Vancouver in 1970s. This is what I know.

If this is the Maggie Cameron/Noble that emigrated to Canada another illegitimate child might not be out of the question.   I had looked for Lily Fraser after the 1911 census information and saw a death in BC  but it had no information on parents - just born Scotland.  An employer was the informant.

Offline cosmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Friday 22 September 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
Scotlandspeople has birth for Lilly Fraser and William MacLean Fraser.  Wonder what the maiden name of mother was.

http://search-collections.royalbcmuseum.bc.ca/Image/Genealogy/7ee3982d-4ecf-4053-ad40-71646c7e607b
Death for Lily