Author Topic: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)  (Read 14024 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Maggie Cameron - Noble - Smith (Toronto and area)
« Reply #189 on: Saturday 23 September 17 03:45 BST (UK) »
Annie said:
Surely Maggie wasn't in prison from then until 1911 'assuming' it's her

Maybe Sara can find out!

The City of Toronto Archives has the correct years for Criminal Records and Warrants and Arrests for in person viewing, if you call ahead.

I tried to hyperlink the urls, but they contain [brackets] that kill the link, and they are five km long, so I will just pm the links to Sara.

As to Victoria, it looks like she was never registered, so perhaps she was put out for adoption, with the adoptive parents giving her a new first name?

I just want to mention another possible scenario that I was checking, in case anyone was thinking the same:
What if Maggie was really a Noble, and was a daughter/granddaughter of Angus and Ann and only used the Cameron name to give the appearance of being married when filling out Daisy's birth registration?  Then, once married to Mr Smith, she tells the truth, thus her death reg is now accurate.
The Margaret born to Angus and Ann (around 1875) vanishes after the 1881 census.  Could she be the (very young) mother of "our" Maggie?   NO. She vanishes totally.  I now own the birth/marriage/death certificates for every Maggie/Margaret Noble in all of Scotland  ::) and there is NOTHING to back up that theory.  Somewhat unfortunate, as it makes the Canadian documents make sense.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: Saturday 23 September 17 04:06 BST (UK) »
Yes bb, I can see your thinking but we also have to consider the DNA link which isn't pointing in that direction  :) I think we have established OUR Maggie to be Cameron/Cant?

Another wee thing (just in case it has relevance later) there was a house in Nairn named ' LILY COTTAGE' which may have been a reference to Maggie Fraser's dau as Lily is not a Highland name but it's a nice welcomed wee change from Margaret/Maggie  :-\  ::)

Strange how the mind works overtime searching for any clues to things.

I haven't stumbled on 'Brackenbaugh Cottage' yet but I'm now searching with only the word 'Cottage' as the spelling may differ & there's no variants/soundex option.

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: Saturday 23 September 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
Annie said:
Yes bb, I can see your thinking but we also have to consider the DNA link which isn't pointing in that direction  :) I think we have established OUR Maggie to be Cameron/Cant?

Sorry, I wasn't being clear.  I still absolutely believe OUR Maggie was born Cant/Cameron, and raised Noble.  I was just checking the reverse situation, to rule it out, and didn't want anyone else wasting resources on it (or if they want to check, I have the documentation available).

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: Saturday 23 September 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
Ahh, okay, that makes sense  :)

Oh to find Maggie NOBLE & Maggie FRASER  ???

I haven't had a minute to search for them in England yet & I'm still curious what took Maggie CANT there (reason)...did they go as a job lot as they all disappear at the same time  ;D

She was already 'with child' when she married but when did she go & why go back home for the birth of the baby who died...seems crazy.

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: Saturday 23 September 17 05:06 BST (UK) »
She was already 'with child' when she married but when did she go & why go back home for the birth of the baby who died...seems crazy.

Okay, I'm beyond thinking now.  Who are you referring to?

Brackenhaugh Cottage: 4th paragraph down mentions the cottage you seek: (give it a second to load)
https://www.daelive.com/articles/ResortProfiles.aspx?EndpointID=EUR&ResortID=7087

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: Saturday 23 September 17 05:17 BST (UK) »
Ooops, sorry, I was referring to Margaret Cant.

Thanks for the link, couldn't find it anywhere, maybe you have an 'updated' google  ;D

Before I forget & have to scroll & search online...where was Maggie NOBLE (dau of Peter) born?

Annie

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: Saturday 23 September 17 05:26 BST (UK) »
I think you were searching BrackenBaugh, which brings up nothing (instead of BrackenHaugh).

where was Maggie NOBLE (dau of Peter) born

If you mean Fraser, Peter Fraser's 1901 census says Maggie born Nairn, Nairnshire and the certificate posted by Cosmac says Union Poorhouse  Parish of Nairn.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: Saturday 23 September 17 05:28 BST (UK) »
MC was in Albert St Nairn on the 1891 census. She married my Gt grandad 22 May 1892 in Caunton Notts. On 25 Sep 1892 she was giving birth to a son James Cant Antliff in Chapelton Moss. Her mother registered the baby and stated that although her daughter was married the husband was not the father of the child. James sadly died a few weeks later.
George Henry and MC went on to have 6 children.

There seems to be some debate on the birth year of "Maggie". This may be the deciding point. My MC only has a possibility of a few years for "Maggie" to be hers.

Larkspur...See Reply #53 for Maggie's birth entry from SP & can you possibly fill us in with when/why she came to be so far from home please?

Annie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: Saturday 23 September 17 05:32 BST (UK) »
I think you were searching BrackenBaugh, which brings up nothing (instead of BrackenHaugh).

where was Maggie NOBLE (dau of Peter) born

If you mean Fraser, Peter Fraser's 1901 census says Maggie born Nairn, Nairnshire and the certificate posted by Cosmac says Union Poorhouse  Parish of Nairn.

Yes, I was searching Brackenbaugh which was on the 1891 transcription...thank you  ;)

No actually, I really meant dau of Angus...I have Maggieitis now  ::)

Annie