Author Topic: Looking for info on Harrington family.  (Read 1238 times)

Offline bhar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for info on Harrington family.
« on: Friday 15 September 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for info on our ancestry for years but have never had the resources to do so. I am desperate to find out more and to see if we have family in the UK that we have perhaps lost touch with.

What I do know is that my paternal grandfather was John Garett Harrington born in 1902 in South Africa. He had several kids with an Afrikaans woman. Any info would help! Thanks!
HARRINGTON, LATEGAN, Geel, De klerk, Barriss, Rutherfoord-jones.

Offline joboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for info on Harrington family.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 17 09:34 BST (UK) »
I cant help much but I was a great friend of a George Harrington before I left for Australia in late 1945 ....... he lived near me in Willesden North West London and a well known musician (saxophone).
Not sure if I am allowed to post this but he would be well past 100 years old so he may squeeze in.
Joe
Gill UK and Australia
Bell UK and Australia
Harding(e) Australia
Finch UK and Australia

My memory's not as sharp as it used to be.
Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Offline bhar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 17 09:39 BST (UK) »
Thank you! Every bit of info helps!

Offline Sandgrounder1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:57 BST (UK) »
Hello,

The only record I can find is a birth of a John Xavier Harrington, born South Africa in 1904.  It can't be your grandad as they are both named John and the date is different.  This John married Frances Joyce Graham in 1930 in Benoni.

You really need to obtain his birth certificate.  I am assuming that South African certificates are similar to the UK and give details of the father,  and his occupation.  That would give you a clue.

Do you have any older family members you could ask to see if they have any more information?

Bear in mind that if the family was originally from the UK or Ireland, Harrington is a relatively common name!

If you find any more information, post it on here. There are lots of people who will try to help you.
CONWAY, Westport, Mayo; TEALE, Salford, Manchester; GILCHRIST, Edinburgh; GRIFFITHS, East Stonehouse, Devon / Cardiff; VENNEN (and variations) Cornwall; TOY, Cornwall; ENGLAND, Cromer/Northrepps, Norfolk; LOFTUS, Cissie and Marie, Music Hall Artistes, Glasgow; PORTSWORTHY, Cornwall; SARCHFIELD, Manchester/Southport

Offline Gillian Mauchan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Eliza Warr c 1900 Found her she lied about her age
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 16 September 17 02:20 BST (UK) »
There is a government gazette entry for a John Garrett Harrington born 1943 died 1996 in Pretoria who could be a son. It might be worth looking in the Pretoria Telephone directory for relatives to contact. I cannot see any records in the Archive lists for your Grandfather but as the indexes run out c 1974 he could have died later.
If you join Gendatabase.com - you can sign up for as little as a day - you can do a search for John Garrett Harrington- there appear to be several generations with the same name. They do offer a family finder view.

I also found this DN which is probably for his wife Christina Stella De Klerk:
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-C912-RNV5?i=1957&cat=1162069 you can page through her estate file for the will written in Afrikaans

They were married in Pretoria so you could look in the familysearch catalog for Civil records in the Transvaal and page through the Pretoria district for their marriage. Given John George was their 4th child they were probably married in the 1890's
WARR, MAUCHAN, GOWANS,Guest,Whitcomb. Taute, Webb,Pascual

Offline bhar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 17 08:15 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much @gmauchan this really helped! My Dads name is on the document you found a picture of!