Author Topic: where could this child be buried  (Read 1994 times)

Offline gerrycass

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
where could this child be buried
« on: Friday 15 September 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi every one, i am looking for help for a friend who is desperate to find out where her mums infant brother may be buried. She has a death cert with the following information died May 1942 reported by J Sunderland, attendant Eglinton. place of death Eglinton. My friend was under the impression that her grandmother was in a workhouse but i cannot find any reference to a workhouse in Eglinton village. The family are desperate to find out where this child was buried. The child was catholic. Any help would be wonderful. i have attached a copy of death cert with the childs name blacked out.

Gerry

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: where could this child be buried
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 September 17 11:52 BST (UK) »
Londonderry Workhouse covered Eglinton (formerly known as Muff), so Derry City Cemetery might be a possibility-
http://www.workhouses.org.uk/Londonderry/

This map shows 2 R.C. burying grounds near Eglinton- Ballykelly R.C. & Faughanvale R.C.-
http://www.historyfromheadstones.com/index.php?londonderry&denomination=RC

If the family were buried elsewhere the child might be in that place.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gerrycass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 September 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
Hi aghadowey many thanks for your prompt reply. I will be visiting the city cemetery early next week to check with them. Unfortunately the lady who is trying to find where her brother was buried was brought up in a home in Derry and had no contact with her family so can't pursue that avenue. Any thoughts on the person who reported the death?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 September 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
Derry City Cemetery have excellent records but under the circumstances it's probably unlikely there is any gravestone for the child.

The death certificate gives place of death as Eglinton and informant is J. Sutherland med. attendant (likely the name of a doctor or perhaps nurse).
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gerrycass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 15 September 17 21:12 BST (UK) »
many thanks aghadowey, i did not notice the med part which with your explanation makes sense. i will visit the city cemetery early next week. The family would settle with known where the child is buried even if it is without a headstone.

Gerry

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 16 September 17 11:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Gerrycass, being born near Eglinton. I am very familiar with the area, there is a Catholic Church very near to Eglinton called St Mary's Star of the sea. I have in the past gotten certificates from the very helpful secretary there. They also have BMD records for another Catholic Church in the parish which is now demolished called Mullaboy which still has a graveyard.
It's more than likely the child is buried in one of these Cemetries but it's not
Unlikely it might be interred in Derry/Londonderry city cemetery
The district nurse/ Midwife in Eglinton from the late 30s was Nurse Martha McDaid who lived in the village. She would have attended births in the home. I have not heard of a Sutherland in the village which means it may have been a medical person in the local Hospital  called the City and county Hospital Infirmary Road in the City.  Good luck in your search it's very worthwhile.
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down

Offline gerrycass

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 16 September 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you Duncrunson it is a vertical sad situition the family find themselves in. I think it's the not known where the wane is buried is hard to deal with. I will check the city cemetery next week and take it from there. Once again many thanks for your advice and wishes.

Gerry

Offline reichs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 16 September 17 15:38 BST (UK) »
Is there any family graves in Eglinton area prior to 1942. I know when my mum's  baby brother died, he  was buried with his grandparents .

Offline edenreaghbeg

• RootsChat Member
  • we don't find ancestors... they find us
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 16 September 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
Yes, the Church of Ireland Parish Graveyard is in Eglinton Village and Presbyterian Church Graveyard
on the outskirts of the Village
see my above post re Catholic Church details
McGill/Somers/McIvor in Co Derry.
Lynch Co Dublin
Morgan / Ross / Curoe/Roberts in Co Down