Author Topic: John moved to Lancashire from Cornwall in 1870s. Was this common?  (Read 2383 times)

Offline Kennington

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
John moved to Lancashire from Cornwall in 1870s. Was this common?
« on: Monday 18 September 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
I have a John Stacey (b.1854) who moved from Cornwall to Burnley and became a collier as seen in 1881.
His wife Eliza died and the second Mrs Stacey (Cordelia on 1891 census) was also from the same area of Cornwall. How would they know about jobs up North and how would they have travelled there?
I can't find his parents, only grandparents. on 1871 he was working on a farm. I initially thought he might have been a tin miner, but he wasn't.
Searching:<br />DASH - Cornwall ;STEPHENS - Anglesey / Holyhead ;KELLY - Whitehaven / Liverpool ;CARRICK - Wigton, Cumberland ;FARISH - Cumberland ;MASON - Ipswich ;FISK - Suffolk ;PRIEST - Suffolk & SW London ;HAWKS - London & Thetford, Norfolk
SMITHERS - London ;RIDGWELL - Norfolk ;ELSTON - London ;APPLEBY- London

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John moved to Lancashire from Cornwall in 1870s. Was this common?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
It was quite common for people to move for better jobs, my grandfather and his brothers moved from Somerset to County Durham in the 1870s.
 I as understand it the great agricultural depression had set in in the early 1870’s as a result of a series of very wet summers and autumns, with a consequence of very bad harvests. Labour left the land, and the villages and went into the mines, and the industrial areas of the north where there were greater employment prospects.
They would go by train, by the 1870s you could travel almost anywhere by rail.
See http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,503504.msg3603129.html#msg3603129
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 September 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
As Stan says, many Cornishmen moved up to County Durham in the late 19th century. People were far more mobile at that time than we give them credit for.

There were so many Cornishmen living in Annfield Plain that a section of the village, Annfield Place,  was popularly known as 'Cornwall', and it was entered as such (or to be strictly correct as Cornwell) in the 1881 census.

Added: see
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=405547.msg2738467#msg2738467

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline chris_49

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Unknown Father - swiving then vanishing since 1750
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 September 17 14:21 BST (UK) »
My great great grandmother Ann Hicks (bap 1813) moved from Cornwall to Merseyside before 1833 when she married (in Liverpool) then settled in Wallasey. I have no idea why, (unless this was an earlier depression there) but as to how back then, I would assume by boat.

A friend who has similar odd movements a little later (Cumbria to Chepstow and back) has the explanation - her people were mariners.
Skelcey (Skelsey Skelcy Skeley Shelsey Kelcy Skelcher) - Warks, Yorks, Lancs <br />Hancox - Warks<br />Green - Warks<br />Draper - Warks<br />Lynes - Warks<br />Hudson - Warks<br />Morris - Denbs Mont Salop <br />Davies - Cheshire, North Wales<br />Fellowes - Cheshire, Denbighshire<br />Owens - Cheshire/North Wales<br />Hicks - Cornwall<br />Lloyd and Jones (Mont)<br />Rhys/Rees (Mont)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 September 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Companies did employ active recruiters & there were also many adverts in newspapers offering jobs, houses (often owned by the collieries) & security & most importantly of all better wages.
For a man working in a depressed industry such as farming where the introduction of machinery was putting men out of work this could be an attractive proposition although many needed tempting as they were reluctant to move away from the Poor Law Union of their home Parish.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 September 17 16:07 BST (UK) »
People moved around surprisingly often, whether for better prospects or better pay. Tin miners from Cornwall took up positions in all sorts of places. The coal mines of Burnley would be an easy move. Some went much further afield, mining metal ores in South America.

It was normal to end up somewhere where the skills you already had could be used.

So farm labourers might emigrate to places where they might have land of their own.

Miners could find work in any sort of mine - in Cumberland there were coal mines and iron ore mines, and people shifted between them. Tin miners were used to dealing with hard granite, and would be good prospects for any railway company that had a tunnel to construct.

Labourers could, of course, find work pretty much anywhere, whether in fields, in mines or on building sites.
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Kennington

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 September 17 17:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you all for your replies.
I didn't realise people were so mobile. Most of mine were stick in the muds  ::)
Searching:<br />DASH - Cornwall ;STEPHENS - Anglesey / Holyhead ;KELLY - Whitehaven / Liverpool ;CARRICK - Wigton, Cumberland ;FARISH - Cumberland ;MASON - Ipswich ;FISK - Suffolk ;PRIEST - Suffolk & SW London ;HAWKS - London & Thetford, Norfolk
SMITHERS - London ;RIDGWELL - Norfolk ;ELSTON - London ;APPLEBY- London

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 September 17 21:02 BST (UK) »
I noticed quite a few Cornish people in Burnley in 19thC. It was in connection with a query on here a few months ago.
A current query is about a man b. 1830s Lancashire who spent time working in a Scottish coal mine, c1860, then returned to Lancs. An 1842 report on working & living conditions in SW Scotland's heavy industries stated that the majority of workers in an iron-works were from other parts of Britain, mostly English. The author complained about the moral laxity of the non-natives.
Some Welsh miners went to Cumberland slate mines. Some went to Argentina. There was a BBC programme recently about the Welsh Argentinians. My Welsh ancestors arrived in Wigan sometime pre 1800. Possible mining connection? Although my known ancestors weren't miners.
NB. Until late 18thC Scottish miners were bonded labour. Only after the law on bonded labour was abolished was there free movement of labour for Scottish miners.
Before railways there were canals.
Cowban

Offline mosiefish

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 September 17 22:58 BST (UK) »
Hi,

My G.Grandfather and brothers also moved from Cornwall to Burnley in the late 1870`s.  Apparently the Burnley miners were on strike so the Bosses advertised for miners to work in Burnley.  They never mentioned that they wanted them to "break" a strike!!  I really don`t know the full details, although the Cornish Tin/Copper mines were in decline so they needed the work. There were loads of miners from Cornwall and Devon in Burnley on the 1881 census. 

Regards,
Mo
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Lancs: Harrison, Entwistle, Devine, Grundy, Ashworth, Freeman, Jackson, Rushton
Cornwall: Rich, Binney, Peak(e)
Devon: Martin, Walter(s)