Author Topic: smith as a middle name  (Read 6866 times)

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
smith as a middle name
« on: Monday 18 September 17 14:45 BST (UK) »
Hi people.

Apologies if this is not the sort of topic to raise on this forum.

I have been looking at the use of Smith as a middle name in the 1800s and have observed some patterns that could be illusions but could also mean something interesting.

I see a number of fathers who give their sons their own name but add Smith as a middle name.
For example, James Purvis might call his son James Smith Purvis. Of course this could simply be a recycled maiden name in each case but I wonder, did the name Smith ever signify something like 'junior' ? Or was it somehow fashionable ?

Overall I see Smith being used quite commonly as a middle name but seems most commonly placed behind the name Thomas.

Opinions?

-David C

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
Re: smith as a middle name
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 September 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
Generally a surname used as a middle name is a nod to a previous generation ie mum or grandma's maiden name. I've never thought of it as an alternative to 'junior'.

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:20 BST (UK) »
Godparent is another possibility - so John Smith was a godfather. Some Catholic confirmation registers can be searched; my understanding is that Church of England registers are thinner on the ground.
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
Generally a surname used as a middle name is a nod to a previous generation ie mum or grandma's maiden name. I've never thought of it as an alternative to 'junior'.

Carol

Yes I agree with Carol a lot of my family myself included  have my Grandma's maiden name as our middle name .. :)

Rosie

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 19 September 17 11:35 BST (UK) »
I've got one Smith as a first name - mother's maiden name.  But then I have another family who used a surname as first name for some of their sons - Fairbank (grandmother's maiden name), Hollan/d (mother's family have connections with surname Holland), Jennings (not entirely sure but again a surname connection to mother's family).
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dtcoulson

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 00:22 BST (UK) »
I think that if such a pattern existed, someone would have spotted it by now and have written about it.

A second question I would like to ask is whether people in the 19th century named their children for significant people in their community: politicians or businessmen or even artists and writers and soldiers that served the community well.

-DC

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 20 September 17 05:01 BST (UK) »
All the families that I'm following used the traditional naming pattern of first son named after paternal g/father, etc., etc.   

However, I do have a line that at first glance didn't use that pattern until I realised the middle given name was the child's name and the first given name was donated by a godparent who was often a local person of substance (e.g. who wasn't a labourer or labourer's wife) and who hopefully would be useful to the child's future prospects.

My gt. uncle Tom born in Norfolk carried the full name of his father's employer "Robert Blake" as his middle names.

My Lanarkshire born grandfather Andrew carried the three full name of a local bigwig; "Andrew Stevenson Dalglish" as middle names.  One of his brothers was given the three full names of his maternal uncle, Allan Cameron M'Kenzie, a blacksmith, who had no son to carry on his name.

Also in my tree is one Aberdeen couple with numerous children who ran out of family names and I can spot that one son carried the name of a ships captain that lived next door to the wife when she was a child and it seems the wife had a large say in the names of her several daughters many of whom carried the full given & maiden surnames of her childhood girl friends.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 21 September 17 15:10 BST (UK) »
Smith, or for that matter any other surname was frequently used in cases of illegitimacy so that a boy might be baptised John Smith Brown, the Brown, mother's surname being quietly dropped if the parents did subsequently marry. One that i could never get my head round was a man on our payroll who had two Christian names, followed by three surnames, the last two of which he had dropped, and used the first surname as his normal surname. ie. John William Brown Smith Jones was known as John William Brown
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 21 September 17 16:37 BST (UK) »
One of my 3 x great grandparents's daughters has Smith as a middle name. I've searched for about 10 years to find out from whence it came but, so far, haven't found any relative. I've also searched for prominent people in the vicinity but have drawn a blank there too.

I go back and check every so often but so far - zilch.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***