Author Topic: Breen and Dowling families of Wexford  (Read 6258 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Breen and Dowling families of Wexford
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 13 October 18 06:16 BST (UK) »
Griffith's Valuation Record Information
Tenant
Family Name 1   DOWLING
Forename 1   RAYMOND
Landlord
Family Name 2   WORMINGTON
Forename 2   JOHN
Barony   FORTH
Union   WEXFORD
Parish   ST IBERIUS (IN THE TOWN OF WEXFORD)
Townland   WEXFORD, TOWN OF
Place Name   HIGH STREET
Place Type   OTHER
Publication Details
Position on Page   20
Printing Date   1853
Act   15&16
Sheet Number   37
Map Reference   1 12
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 13 October 18 06:27 BST (UK) »
John Breen, shown as holding two "market stalls" on High Street, the same street where Raymond Dowling was living. Having a market stall is of course consistent with the profession of "cattle dealer" shown on the 1874 marriage registration of his son.

Griffith's Valuation Record Information
Tenant
Family Name 1   BREEN
Forename 1   JOHN
Landlord
Family Name 2   TAYLOR
Forename 2   WILLIAM
Prefix   REPS
Barony   FORTH
Union   WEXFORD
Parish   ST IBERIUS (IN THE TOWN OF WEXFORD)
Townland   WEXFORD, TOWN OF
Place Name   HIGH STREET
Place Type   OTHER
Publication Details
Position on Page   57
Printing Date   1853
Act   15&16
Sheet Number   37
Map Reference   1 27;22
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 13 October 18 06:57 BST (UK) »
This could *possibly* be the birth of Patrick Breen

Name: Patrick
Date of Birth: 7/7/1839
Date of Baptism: 9/7/1839
Parish: Wexford
Father: John *Byrne*
Mother: Ally Fanning
Sponsor: Catherine Reardon

I did not perform an extensive search

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Saturday 13 October 18 07:09 BST (UK) »
Name:    Francis John Breen    
Date of Birth:    02-Jul-1880
Date of Baptism:    03-Jul-1880
Address:    Not Recorded    
Parish/District:    Wexford
County    Co. Wexford
Denomination:    Roman Catholic
Father:    Patrick Breen    
Mother:    Elizabeth Dowling
Sponsor 1 /Informant 1:    James Moore
Sponsor 2 /Informant 2:    Margaret Hoolbook

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Saturday 13 October 18 07:12 BST (UK) »

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 October 18 20:15 BST (UK) »
The 1874 (not 1873) marriage registration for Patrick Breen and Elizabeth Dowling is available online. Why didn't the OP simply look?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/marriage_returns/marriages_1874/11247/8125167.pdf
This completely disproves the leading theory previously put forward here!

Patrick was an organist (already known from profession on later census materials), aged 35. His father was John Breen, a cattle dealer, who was already dead.
Elizabeth was a shopkeeper, aged 26, daughter of Raymond Dowling, a customs officer.
Wexflyer, You are absolutely correct Patrick Breen was son of John Breen and Eliza was the daughter of Raymond Dowling and Mary Holbrook. Unfortunately the marriage record was not available on Irish genealogy at the time of the original request for help.  I can now correct this. Many thanks for letting me know

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 October 18 20:47 BST (UK) »
I would also like to know if you found out any information on the parents of Patrick Breen and Eliza Dowling from wexford.  They are my great-great grandparents.  Their son Francis Breen married Elizabeth Lumley (father Capt. Joseph Lumley of Waterford) and their eldest daughter, Letitia Breen was my grandmother.
berni2u

Wexflyer has put me straight on the parents of Eliza Breen (nee Dowling).

My grandmother was Betty Lumley who was the niece of Captain Joseph. Her father (William) was the youngest brother of Captain Joseph. He too went to sea as did a number of other brothers. I have a good deal of information about the Lumley family if you need more information. I have also been in touch with the La Strada FHS who have quite a bit of information about Francis John Breen and his family. Where are you living?

Offline berni2u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 03:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much Wexflyer for finding that info.   

Offline berni2u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 03:27 BST (UK) »
Notaninch,
What is La strada FHS?  If you have more info on the Lumleys and Breens, I would love if you could share that with me.  I'm on ancestry.com.  I do believe we may have emailed before.  I live in the US, right outside of Chicago.