Author Topic: Breen and Dowling families of Wexford  (Read 6231 times)

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Breen and Dowling families of Wexford
« Reply #27 on: Tuesday 16 October 18 17:35 BST (UK) »
Notaninch,
What is La strada FHS?  If you have more info on the Lumleys and Breens, I would love if you could share that with me.  I'm on ancestry.com.  I do believe we may have emailed before.  I live in the US, right outside of Chicago.
Berni2u

La Strada is where the Breens lived after emigrating from Wexford. Is it now a suburb of Chicago (?) Anyway La Strada family history society hold some information about Francis - in particular how he played music not only in church but at theaters that grew up  in the silent movies era. I have a great deal of information on the Lumley's including the grandparents and great grandparents of Mary Elizabeth Breen (nee Lumley). I have less information on the Breen's unfortunately other than the parents of Francis (who had a brother). I also now know the parents of Eliza Breen (nee Dowling who married Patrick Breen) and the grandfather of Francis Breen ( namely cattle dealer John Breen).

Let me know what in particular you would be interested in - perhaps I could send my e-mail address  via pm if that would be easier.

Oh by the way I am in the UK

Offline berni2u

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 01:57 BST (UK) »
Does this La Strada Historical society have a website?   I can't find one.  I was not aware that the Breens lived anywhere else but La Grange, Illinois, which is just outside of Chicago.  I would love to talk more about the Lumley's too.
Thanks

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 17 October 18 10:47 BST (UK) »
Does this La Strada Historical society have a website?   I can't find one.  I was not aware that the Breens lived anywhere else but La Grange, Illinois, which is just outside of Chicago.  I would love to talk more about the Lumley's too.
Thanks
I haven't made this an auspicious intro - it is of course La Grange not La Strada (long story which I will explain later). You may already know of the La Grange Area Historical Society ....web address www.lagrangehistory.org/  last year I made contact and they told me they had access to information about Francis and the family - stuff  you may already have ?  I no longer use Ancestry and have most of my stuff in word documents.

The long story.... is I am nearing completion of rationalising my filing system and in the intervening process had a hard drive failure. I then had to recover and piece together stuff from various discs and pen drives - as well as from paperwork. I have now sorted all the Lumley records out and hopefully I can now avoid such human errors. If you want me to share then it may be best I send word documents via my gmail - far too large to attach in rootsweb.

Attaching a photograph of the street where Francis and his parents lived (believed to be dated about 1890). They lived at 45 Main Street North, Wexford Town.

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 18 October 18 15:08 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth had at least three siblings
Mary Anne, born 20/9/1839
John, 13/6/1844
Raymond, 13/6/1844 (Twins).

Not that the godfather for Raymond (born 13/6/1844) is also Raymond Dowling - grandfather?

I suspect the marriage of Raymond Dowling and Mary Holbrook is recorded in the Wexford parish registers - perhaps someone with a direct connection might care to look.
Wexfordflyer - They married 11 Nov 1838

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 18 October 18 15:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks

I now have the marriage entry for Raymond Dowling and Mary Holebrooke parents of Elizabeth - see attached. It is taken from the NLI catholic registers. Wexford Flyer suggests it was at the Franciscan Friary, Wexford Town. Took place 11 November 1838. If you follow this thread I have information about Raymond E Dowling Jnr) his twin brother John and their father Raymond Snr who died in London in 1898. Adding copies of official marriage and death registrations fro Patrick Joseph Breen and Elizabeth Frances Dowling

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 18 October 18 15:40 BST (UK) »

I now have the marriage entry for Raymond Dowling and Mary Holebrooke parents of Elizabeth - see attached. It is taken from the NLI catholic registers. I suspect it is the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Wexford Town. Took place 11 November 1838

No, not Rowe St. That church was only constructed in the 1850s (1851-1858).
Marriage would have been in the Franciscan Friary.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 18 October 18 16:51 BST (UK) »

I now have the marriage entry for Raymond Dowling and Mary Holebrooke parents of Elizabeth - see attached. It is taken from the NLI catholic registers. I suspect it is the Church of the Immaculate Conception, Wexford Town. Took place 11 November 1838

No, not Rowe St. That church was only constructed in the 1850s (1851-1858).
Marriage would have been in the Franciscan Friary.
Happy to accept your suggestion it is the Franciscan Friary -  NLI does not name the church itself. Have also found what appears to be the records of Raymond Dowling (Jnr). Raymond Dowling is certainly not a common name. What also looks intriguing is he is a customs waterman (1891) or is  it a coincidence 2 Raymond Dowling's (of Ireland) worked in customs

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 18 October 18 17:16 BST (UK) »

Happy to accept your suggestion it is the Franciscan Friary -  NLI does not name the church itself.

Indeed. But the Franciscan Friary is the only possibility in 1838. There was no other Catholic church in Wexford for centuries, until the completion of the "twin churches" of Bride St. and Rowe St. in 1858.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 18 October 18 17:29 BST (UK) »
So when was the Immaculate conception built. That is where Patrick Breen married Elizabeth Dowling in 1874