Author Topic: Breen and Dowling families of Wexford  (Read 6208 times)

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Re: Breen and Dowling families of Wexford
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 18 October 18 17:33 BST (UK) »
So when was the Immaculate conception built. That is where Patrick Breen married Elizabeth Dowling in 1874

Immaculate Conception = Rowe St.
Assumption = Bride St.
Both completed in 1858.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 18 October 18 17:54 BST (UK) »
As for the Raymond Dowling in England, my guess is that he is your relative. But you will have to order up the 1871 London marriage registration to be sure.
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Thursday 18 October 18 17:58 BST (UK) »
As for the Raymond Dowling in England, my guess is that he is your relative. But you will have to order up the 1871 London marriage registration to be sure.
I'm pretty sure he is and not only that his twin John and father were also in London in 1891. Raymond Snr died there in 1898. I know his son John is a couple of years younger than he should be i.e. 37 rather than 35 and shows him born Kent but this has to be the twin of Raymond Edward surely or did twin die and this is a later John?

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Thursday 18 October 18 18:27 BST (UK) »
Well, let me add another generation to your tree. Here is the baptism of Mary Holdbrook in 1814.
[Later preferred spelling appears to have been Holbrook/Hollbrook]

Name:    Mary Holdbrook    Date of Birth:    
Date of Baptism:    26-Jan-1814
Parish/District:    Wexford
County    Co. Wexford
Denomination:    Roman Catholic
Father:    John Holdbrook    
Mother:    Ellen Newport   
Sponsor 1 /Informant 1:    Richard O'Connor
Sponsor 2 /Informant 2:    Amelia Jeffries

John and Ellen had at least three other children
Anne, 13/2/1807
John 1/9/1809
?  15/11/1811

As I mentioned previously, the Holbrooks were hairdressers in Wexford for many generations. You can see later ones in the 1901 and 1911 census. On two of the baptisms, the mother's name is given as Eleanor.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Thursday 18 October 18 18:29 BST (UK) »
I'm pretty sure he is and not only that his twin John and father were also in London in 1891.

That John looks like he might be a later, "replacement" John, if the earlier twin died? Notice place of birth, and age.

Offline notaninch

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Thursday 18 October 18 19:07 BST (UK) »
Well, let me add another generation to your tree. Here is the baptism of Mary Holdbrook in 1814.
[Later preferred spelling appears to have been Holbrook/Hollbrook]

Name:    Mary Holdbrook    Date of Birth:    
Date of Baptism:    26-Jan-1814
Parish/District:    Wexford
County    Co. Wexford
Denomination:    Roman Catholic
Father:    John Holdbrook    
Mother:    Ellen Newport   
Sponsor 1 /Informant 1:    Richard O'Connor
Sponsor 2 /Informant 2:    Amelia Jeffries

John and Ellen had at least three other children
Anne, 13/2/1807
John 1/9/1809
?  15/11/1811

As I mentioned previously, the Holbrooks were hairdressers in Wexford for many generations. You can see later ones in the 1901 and 1911 census. On two of the baptisms, the mother's name is given as Eleanor.
Nice one...thanks for this - my motto is the answers (the evidence) are  out there. On the subject of another John born in Kent 2 or 3 years later it is feasible but then that would clash with Elizabeth Frances born in Wexford at this time. I often find census information is not always correct - our ancestors seemed to  want to provide evidence as they saw fit...