Author Topic: Where is Ann from?  (Read 4392 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Where is Ann from?
« on: Thursday 21 September 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Ann Gubings married William Clements  14 Jun 1762 in Manton Rutland, they lived in Manton and baptised their children there.

William was born/baptised in Manton in 1725 and died/buried in Manton in 1800.

Where was Ann baptised? Who were her parents? When and where did she die/was buried?

There are Gubings/Gubins in Manton, a William Gubbins married to Mary Lodge and having children baptised about the same time as William/Ann Clements, so potentially her brother.

There is a James and Jane Gubbins baptising a child in Manton in 1701, so if related  more likely potential grandparents than parents
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Where is Ann from?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 September 17 10:16 BST (UK) »
A James Gubbins married Elizabeth Clement in Manton 5th November 1728.

I can't find any baptisms but a James Gubbins and Elizabeth had several children about 20 miles away in Swinstead, Lincolnshire, including Ann Gubbins (same spelling as the marriage register) baptised on 31st May 1741.

see - https://www.lincstothepast.com/Records/RecordDisplayTranscript.aspx?oid=777018&iid=231302

Other children - Susan 1734, Mary 1737 and William 1743.

The register only starts in 1733, so there may have been others.

David

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 September 17 10:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you David that sounds like a good option to investigate further to see if she is mine or not, looks hopeful.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline forte

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 December 17 17:01 GMT (UK) »
A bit late but may be of use.
There are other children of James & Elizabeth nee Clement - Henry 1730 Elizabeth 1729 and William 1743.
Interestingly there is a Lincolnshire Settlement Certificate for Swinstead for James  his wife and children in 1729. Parish of Settlement is Manton!
I dont have any more details but the ref is Lincs Settlement Certs 13/5/11
DEXTER-  pre 1800 Rutland & Lincolnshire
DAWSON -  Wymeswold Leics
HALL - Sheffield Yorkshire UK & Tasmania
MARSH- Willoughby on the Wolds
BLEWITT/BLUEITT/BLUITT mainly Grantham area

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 24 July 18 23:42 BST (UK) »
I live in Manton and have records of all of Anne Gubings children from Mary Jan 1763 through to Henry b May 1778.

I also have records of a James Gubbins married to a Jane whose eldest son was the James Gubbins married to Elizabeth Clement. James had three sisters, Susanna, Elizabeth and Alice and one brother Henry with all their births recorded in Manton.

Subsequently, I have a later Gubbins family with William married to a Mary Lodge 16th May 1768 and the records of their seven children.

If you require any further information, just let me know. Regards, John

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:29 BST (UK) »
Thank you John,
I would be very interested in copies of PRs of all/any you may have.

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
Hi

I do not have access to the Church Records any more, but have recorded information which was taken directly from the records by either myself or someone else who lived in the Village. Would this be sufficient for your research?

Regards, John

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 11:04 BST (UK) »
Thank you it would certainly enable me to cross reference the information I already have, which in this case is mainly from transcribed BTs

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 25 July 18 15:33 BST (UK) »
I noticed that a William Gubbins was buried in Manton in 1803, born 1743.

He married Mary Lodge on 18th May 1767 and one of the witnesses was James Gubbins.

The only William I can find who was born that year was the brother of Ann Gubbins, both of whom were baptised in Swinstead, Lincolnshire, the children of James and Elizabeth.

The first baptism in Swinstead was Elizabeth on 7th October 1729, the year after James Gubbins married Elizabeth Clement.

This seems to be the only family that fits but I am not sure how it can be proved.

David