Author Topic: Hartlepool Marriage Lookup Request  (Read 3540 times)

Offline patsy14

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hartlepool Marriage Lookup Request
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 September 17 19:19 BST (UK) »
tillypeg, Yes, that is indeed my Stephen Whelpdale! I have a annual subscription with Ancestry right now but will keep this report in mind to look up whenever I can also afford a month's subscription with FindMyPast. Thank you very much!

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 September 17 19:55 BST (UK) »
I have never heard the surname Whelpdale before and thought I would try a search of the newspapers, there may be more to find of course.

Here's my transcription of the article:

SAD STORY AT A SUNDERLAND INQUEST
At Sunderland yesterday an inquest was held touching the death of Stephen Whelpdale (66), a labourer, of 7 Tees Street.  Mary Whelpdale, the widow, said that on Saturday night at 10.45 her husband was brought home by two men.  He was very drunk.  He had to be carried upstairs and was there laid on the hearthrug before the fire, his necktie and shirt-neck being loosened.  The witness went to bed in an adjoining room.  At three o’clock on Sunday morning she got up to look at the deceased and as he was snoring and apparently all right she went back to bed.  At twenty minutes to nine she found him dead.  It was not the first time that he had lain on the mat all night.  The reason she did not wake him at three o’clock was because he was so quarrelsome if disturbed in his sleep when in drink.  Dr Maurice Jacobs said the indications were that death was due to suffocation following intoxication.  The jury returned a verdict in accordance with the medical testimony.

A sad tale indeed.  My 3xgt grandfather William Dryden fell off Whitby pier whilst intoxicated and sadly didn't live to tell the tale.  There's a moral there somewhere......

Best wishes,
Tillypeg

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 September 17 03:28 BST (UK) »
Interesting to see what the marriage certificate reveals - at the moment, to me at least, it looks like Mary Waters was the daughter of Mark Waters and Diana Hunter who married 21/12/1836 Stockton on Tees.

On the census' none of their children appear to have been born in Stockton on Tees itself, although Diana (or Dinah as she appears on census) was.   Their children born in different districts in Durham and included a Mary bc.1845.   I note that Stephen Whelpdale and Mary named one of their own children Dinah too.  I can see the birth entries for their children on GRO Index confirming mmn as Hunter but the only birth entry missing is for daughter Mary bc.1845 (said to have been born on 1851 census at Wreckington(Wrekenton).   

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline patsy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 25 September 17 09:45 BST (UK) »
tillypeg - Thank you so very much for putting the transcription for me!!! Stephen and Mary are my paternal great-grandparents. How very sad to learn that he died from suffocation following intoxication :-( I am sorry to hear of your William Dryden also! I totally agree - there is a moral there somewhere...Thank you again very much!

Best wishes to you also, Patsy

Offline patsy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 25 September 17 09:59 BST (UK) »
Annette - As I mentioned in my previous post to tillypeg, Stephen and Mary are my paternal great-grandparents. I have also found most of the same information you had mentioned. The couple had 12 children from what I have found, with one daughter named Dinah/Diana but, interestingly, none of the boys were named Mark. I have also found birth or baptisms for all the children.

In the census forms of 1871, 1881  and 1891 Mary lists her place of birth as Stockton. I haven't been able to find her yet on the 1901 and 1911 census forms. But, there is no Mary Waters born in Stockton around 1845. I found what I believe to be the same Mary in the 1851 census (place of birth Wreckington, Durham) and in 1861 (place of birth Lamesley, Durham). I am not 100% certain though.

This is why I was hoping that I could confirm 100% that her father was Mark Waters through the marriage certificate. I guess it is a certificate worth investing in!

Thank you again very much!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:31 BST (UK) »
In case you dont have Census access.

1841 Census
Kelloe, Durham
Mark Waters, 25, Coal Miner
Diana Waters, 20
Elizabeth Waters, 3
Ann Waters, 1
All born in County

1851 Mark is away from Home;
Dinah Wardle Waters   31
Ann Waters   10
Dinah Waters   8
Mary Waters   6
William Waters   4
Margaret Waters 1   

1861 they are under WATTERS, in Northumberland;
Mark Watters   45 born Gateshead
Dinah Watters   41 born Stickton
William Watters   14
Margaret Watters 11
Sarah Watters   10
Eleanor Watters   1
Ann Button   20
Dinah Button   6/12

MARK Waters Baptised 5 Nov 1815, St Mary, Gateshead
Parents WILLIAM/ELIZABETH
Fathers Occp Pitman
(FreeREG)

William WATERS married Elizabeth LEIGHTON, 29 Oct 1814 same Church
(FreeREG)

I cant find anymore Children in Gateshead for William/Elizabeth so they may have moved.

Mark remaried 1874 to Hannah KIRTLEY

All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 September 17 10:49 BST (UK) »
Although I cant find a Baptism for Diana/Dinah this looks like it may be her Parents Marriage;

Benjamin HUNTER to Ann WARDELL  30 April 1815, Stockton Parish, Durham
(Familysearch.Org)

And yes the Marriage Cert of Mary is a good idea to confirm her Fathers name/occp.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline patsy14

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 25 September 17 12:15 BST (UK) »
trish1120 - Thank you very much for the census information that you copied for me. It does match what I have found so far. Also for the additional baptism and marriage info.

I did find a baptism for Dinah/Diana on 1 June 1821 at St. Thomas Church in Stockton and it confirms her parents' names to be Benjamin Hunter and Ann Wardell.

My problem is the elusive Mary Waters - I can't find her birth or baptism anywhere. Through the marriage certificate, I can be 100% certain that Mark Waters is indeed her father and see what age she has declared. It would be a shame if all my work on Mark Waters and Dinah/Diana Hunter is for nothing and not in fact her family...although I am quite certain it is.

Thank you very much once again!

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
If you don't have this information you can just include it in your records:

Stephen Whelpdale, 66, boilermaker, buried 12 Jun 1906 Bishopwearmouth Cemetery.

What if the Elizabeth Waters, 1st daughter of Mark and Dinah, baptised Stockton St. Thomas, 6 Mar 1838 abode Stockton was called Mary later?  I have seen that happen. Diana was the 3rd daughter and Ann was in between.

The baptism also stated that Mark was a "printer" but I have a record where the occupation was Printer but he signed with an X.  What printer couldn't write his own name?--the parish record had pitman, which was more like it.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk