Author Topic: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness  (Read 5801 times)

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
Re: Missing marriage for Arthur Davren in Inverness
« Reply #27 on: Friday 11 October 19 13:41 BST (UK) »
If your John is who we think he is ie the son of John Davren and Sarah Cunningham Winning then one of his grandmothers - Helen Davren nee Hosie did remarry, but her husband was definitely called Ward. His other grandmother was Annie Winning nee Cunningham and she did not remarry.
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 11 October 19 14:21 BST (UK) »
If your John is who we think he is ie the son of John Davren and Sarah Cunningham Winning then one of his grandmothers - Helen Davren nee Hosie did remarry, but her husband was definitely called Ward. His other grandmother was Annie Winning nee Cunningham and she did not remarry.

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 11 October 19 14:26 BST (UK) »
Yes Helen remarried Thomas Ward in 1940, the same year her first husband Arthur Davren Died. And I'm guessing that's why I can't find any separation or divorce papers because it would have made her a widow. But I wasn't aware of the other Grandmother
ok so now this part is driving me crazy. I have been scratching my head wondering why my Grandad and all his siblings have the last name Davren but then William (billy) has the last name winnings.
only billy has their mothers maiden (Sarah Cunningham Winning) name while all the rest are Davren's
and because I still can't access their birth certificate's its all a guessing game right now.
I thought Maybe their father John died before birth so was unable to sign birth certificate but then I found not only had he died nearly 20 years later but Alec was born 2 years after William and was named a Davren.
So I thought maybe there was infidelity within the marriage and he was not a Davren. But the problem with that is Billy was the only sibling of my Grandads I ever met and if you were none the wiser you would swear they were identical twins. Right down to the same gold tooth, same smile, laugh and mannerisms. Billy died here in Sydney Australia years ago while he was visiting but for the life of me I cannot find a Death certificate.

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 11 October 19 14:41 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have been clearer - Winning was William’s middle name. He was William Winning Davren.
I have just had a look at the death of one year old Arthur in 1935 and it confirms he was the son of John Davren, Motor Lorry Driver, and Sarah Cunningham Harkness Davren nee Winning. He died at Robroyston Hospital, but usual address was 192 Dalmarnock Road. He died of Bronco-Pneumonia and Enteritis. So not a still birth as you previously thought.
I wondered why I couldn’t find William’s death.
So it looks as if we have-
John born 1936
Son of John born 1907 and Sarah Winning
Grandson of Arthur born 1888 and Helen Hosie
Great grandson of John born 1865 (Perth) and Margaret Carruthers
Great/great grandson of Arthur Davren and Agnes Shilland

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 11 October 19 14:49 BST (UK) »
DAVREN
JOHN SHILLAN
644/1 894
Bridgeton

I Just found the above John Shillan Davren born 1915 died age 3 1918. Those years could still make him a candidate to be the son of Arthur Davren and Helen Hosie considering he shares a very similar name to what could possibly be his Great Grandparents Arthur Davren and Agness SHILLAND.
As per the picture I posted.
And again I'm torn about that because it was just yesterday afternoon out of nowhere my Gran said Grandads Grandmother was married a second time and took his last name Ward.....
oh boy I really need this documentation 😳

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 11 October 19 15:09 BST (UK) »
Arthur and Helen’s son was definitely born in 1907. He is with them in the 1911 census. There were several different families of Davren all linking back to Arthur Davren and Agnes Shilland ( including that of Arthur Davren and Catherine McDermid who were the subjects of the original posting that you linked into). The name Shilland appears as a middle name on more than one occasion.
I have just checked the birth in 1907 of John Davren. He was born on 25/7/1907 at 28 Bellfield Street, Glasgow. Father Arthur Davren, Van Driver and Helen Davren nee Hosie who married 27/7/1906 in Glasgow. He is the one who married Sarah Winning per the marriage certificate posted by Annette. His age at death in 1963 was 55 which is a match.

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Friday 11 October 19 15:11 BST (UK) »
Sorry, I should have been clearer - Winning was William’s middle name. He was William Winning Davren.
I have just had a look at the death of one year old Arthur in 1935 and it confirms he was the son of John Davren, Motor Lorry Driver, and Sarah Cunningham Harkness Davren nee Winning. He died at Robroyston Hospital, but usual address was 192 Dalmarnock Road. He died of Bronco-Pneumonia and Enteritis. So not a still birth as you previously thought.
I wondered why I couldn’t find William’s death.
So it looks as if we have-
John born 1936
Son of John born 1907 and Sarah Winning
Grandson of Arthur born 1888 and Helen Hosie
Great grandson of John born 1865 (Perth) and Margaret Carruthers
Great/great grandson of Arthur Davren and Agnes Shilland
Oh thank you that's great information, its hard when I can't access any paperwork at all. But I am glad I reached the same order on my messy paperwork. It's very sad little Arthur died the same way his brother, my Grandad did all those years later. He declined so fast after a cancer diagnosis but I think it was the Bronco - phenomena that really took him in the end. And he had almost died as a young child from it aswell and it left a lot of scar tissue.

Offline Pintsa

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Friday 11 October 19 15:17 BST (UK) »
Arthur and Helen’s son was definitely born in 1907. He is with them in the 1911 census. There were several different families of Davren all linking back to Arthur Davren and Agnes Shilland ( including that of Robert Davren and Mary Fisher who were the subjects of the original posting that you linked into). The name Shilland appears as a middle name on more than one occasion.
I have just checked the birth in 1907 of John Davren. He was born on 25/7/1907 at 28 Bellfield Street, Glasgow. Father Arthur Davren, Van Driver and Helen Davren nee Hosie who married 27/7/1906 in Glasgow. He is the one who married Sarah Winning per the marriage certificate posted by Annette. His age at death in 1963 was 55 which is a match.

Thank you for that confirmation, so does that mean that we could in-fact be related to the Davren's in the original posting. It is something I have been wondering since I found the post and also because its always because I can usually get no further into the family's history any time I reach an Arthur Davren. Over the years It seems to always blur into each other at that point

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 11 October 19 15:19 BST (UK) »
Yes it looks very like it! Please note I have amended my last post as it should have said Arthur Davren and Catherine McDermid.