Author Topic: Wiltshire Militia  (Read 2348 times)

Offline mike222

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wiltshire Militia
« on: Tuesday 26 September 17 20:57 BST (UK) »
I am in search of a Joseph Potter who was born about 1773 in Heytesbury,Wiltshire. He was serving with the Wiltshire Militia when his daughter Lucy was born at St Gluvias in Cornwall in 1797. I wonder if anybody has any Muster Rolls or Lists that could shed a little light into Josephs time with the Militia.
Any suggestions, information would be most appreciated.

Regards

Mike

Offline smh2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Wiltshire Militia
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
The Wiltshire and Swindon History Centre has some Indexes to the Wiltshire Militia on CD.

Steve

Offline mike222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 October 17 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve ,Many thanks for the tip on locating members of the Wiltshire Militia
regards
Mike

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 19 October 17 11:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Mike,

There were several battalions of the Wiltshire Militia. One of my ancestors served in the 1st Battalion from 1794.

The National Archives in Kew hold many muster rolls, pay books, marching and militia orders. They are in the series WO 13 and WO 5.

I was able to find the date and place of my ancestor's attestation and piece together his movements through Cornwall and Devon.

You should find this document of use http://www.wiltshire-opc.org.uk/Items/Military/Military%20-%20Wiltshire%20Militia%201780-1814.pdf

Justin

Offline mike222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 19 October 17 21:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Justin,
Very interesting and Helpful bit of information. I have downloaded the Militia file. I am quite surprised just how far their operations extended. Not bounded by the county but wherever the action happened to be. Often on the coast with smuggling etc. Though I did find mention of Malta.
Thank you again.
all the best
Mike

Offline suelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 August 21 04:57 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,
I’m a descendant of Joseph Potter and his daughter Lucy and yesterday found his marriage banns with the information on him being in the Wiltshire Militia. When searching for info on the militia I found this chat (I know it’s from 2017) and so today have joined Roots Chat. I was wondering if you had any success finding out any information or could guide me to finding some info. I’m in Australia where Lucy’s son “John” immigrated to.
Cheers
Sue

Offline mike222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 21 20:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue,
I haven't been on Roots for a while but it is a very useful research platform. Not sure if you can read the replies my original post produced. I have not so far continued this enquiry any further but your mention of Lucy's son emigrating will sponsor me to have a close look. I am specifically looking for possible DNA matches but the line of Cox, Pooley and more recently Parker haven't produced any. The file on Wiltshire Militia is interesting and especially the fact that the area of interest for the organisation was not confined to the county of that name. Swindon Archives and even the National Archives may offer more information.

If I can help you further please let me know.
regards
Mike

Offline suelf

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 22 August 21 07:54 BST (UK) »
Hi Mike,

Thanks for your reply. I have downloaded the file on Wiltshire Militia but have not had a thorough read as yet, but will do so. Searching UK based archives is not always easy from Australia but I will have a go. So far I have not had any DNA matches with the COX/HOUSE/POTTER/POOLEY families to have been of any assistance to me. If you have not done much research on John COX I may be able to help you out there as my cousin and I have done quite extensive searches on him and I am still going. He is a bit of a tricky one to search, as he changed his name after several years in Australia. A bit of a character or rogue I'm guessing! Has certainly made following his journey very interesting. I am descended from his daughter Louisa May COX from his second marriage.

Regards
Sue

Offline mike222

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 August 21 10:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Sue,
Thanks for your reply. I have a paper file which will no doubt guide me to find the reference to Joseph Potters connection with the Wiltshire Militia. Last night I tried to download a file from the National Archives but could not open them. Joseph isn't mentioned in the Wiltshire Militia that you downloaded.
He is mentioned as a soldier at the baptism of Lucy . Found this on Cornwall Parish Records online. It wasn't on the bp record on the familysearch website, Fathers occupation are not usually mentioned that far back. Re your family research wonder if 'Turnergirl' means anything to you.

best wishes
Mike