Author Topic: Supermarket Roots  (Read 2765 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Supermarket Roots
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 28 September 17 16:29 BST (UK) »
I think there's only a couple of properly old residences still standing where some of my lot lived. Both in Castletown, Isle of Man. A house in the town that we always say should have been ours as our ancestor was the oldest son but it passed to two unmarried daughters. The other is the Castletown Mill some of my lot were tenants at the mill for a time.

Blue 

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 28 September 17 17:50 BST (UK) »
Most of the houses my parents lived in as children have long since gone, but one street is still there, in fact a cousin lives on the street to this day.  It is a street of terraced houses in Greater Manchester, but what the council have done is knock down the terraced houses on one side of every street of terraces, to give the remaining terraces front and back gardens (if that makes sense to anyone).  They actually look quite nice now.

Also where I lived from birth is still there, my mum had a shop and we lived above and behind it, so basically a house with a shop on the front.  Of all the other shops in the village, ours is the only one that is still the same as when it first became a shop (and it's on the 1911 census) a ladies underwear shop.  Most of the other shops have turned into trendy boutiques, trendy cafes, etc. etc.

Offline Lionrhod

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 October 17 01:52 BST (UK) »
While not a car park or supermarket, the gorgeous (but crumbling) colonial mansion I grew up with and it's 3/4 acres was turned into 6 postage stamp houses. I was horrified when I found out they tore up the 500 year old willow that cornered the land, as well as numerous other bits of 200 + year old trees and landscaping.

Years before we'd tried to get the house into the Richmondtown (Staten Island) trust as a historic building, but my grandfather had done too much renovating and it was in bad disrepair as well. :(

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 17 02:20 BST (UK) »
I guess I'm pretty lucky!  I went to visit a house that was found in a Census entry. It's in London where my great great grandparents and my great grandfather and his family were living. I was surprised to find it was in a Conservation Area, as as such, it was a listed house in Stockwell!

Pretty tickled with that find!
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline pharmaT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
Don't think any of mine are supermarket carparks but one is a motorway slip road, one is now a modern block of flats, a few are sheep grazing pasture.
Campbell, Dunn, Dickson, Fell, Forest, Norie, Pratt, Somerville, Thompson, Tyler among others

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Then again many of the houses we now live in weren't there 100 years ago.  I've been trying to research the property I'm living in.  I know it wasn't built at the time of the 1911 census, it was farmland, although a thatched cottage and a house at the end of the road were there in 1911 (the house has 1910 carved over the door), the cottage obviously much older.  The estate agent told us the property was 100 years old, so 1917, but the freeholder told her insurance company that it was built 1926.  I've no idea where she got that date from as she hasn't seen any deeds.

And about 10 minutes walk from me there are many houses under the sea, including a manor house and it's farm cottages,  following cliff falls over many years. ::)

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 19:43 BST (UK) »
All my children were born in NEXT.  The maternity hospital was demolished to built a shopping complex.

Offline Jed59

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 23:12 BST (UK) »
You're in good company, Richard 111 was buried under a car park.
when Richard III was  reburied   in Leicester Cathedral, his hearse was  drawn through the streets by 4 black horses. On  facebook was a cartoon showing a voice coming from the coffin  "Typical.. you wait over  500 years  for a horse then 4 turn up at once!"

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 October 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
My father's maternal family lived for several generations under the new Arsenal football ground
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk