Author Topic: Henry Henshaw Marriage To Dorothy Upton, At Wilmslow in 1667  (Read 999 times)

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Henry Henshaw Marriage To Dorothy Upton, At Wilmslow in 1667
« on: Wednesday 27 September 17 21:27 BST (UK) »
Hello There,

I found this marriage transcription on the: "Cheshire Parish Register Database Project". They were married in Wilmslow, on the 6th of June 1667.

I'm not quite sure what the notes in the "Additional Information Means.":

"CERT MR JACOBUS BADNER MINISTER AT ADLINGTON BY LC FROM COZZ."

I presume this means from the "LC" that they were married by Licence(?).
But I do not know what "FROM COZZ" is relating to.

If anyone has any idea, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much.  :) ;)

Offline ..claire..

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Genealogy...Life in the Past Lane
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Henshaw Marriage To Dorothy Upton, At Wilmslow in 1667
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 September 17 23:19 BST (UK) »

I can't really help much, but they did marry by Licence - it's also in Latin.

First pic is what is showing for the marriage licence. It's not the marriage licence itself, but I hope you can read it.

The second pic is from the marriage register - very poor copy.

Claire
Luce, Tippett , Thomson, Dolling ~ Devon & Cornwall
Mocquard ~ London, France
Census info is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 28 September 17 09:54 BST (UK) »

I can't really help much, but they did marry by Licence - it's also in Latin.

First pic is what is showing for the marriage licence. It's not the marriage licence itself, but I hope you can read it.

The second pic is from the marriage register - very poor copy.

Claire

Hello,

Thanks very much again.
No, I can't read Latin I'm afraid. But I can make out that it probably says that Henry was: "of Chorley." I think it also mentions a William. This may make sense, because this Henry was born in 1642, the son of a William.

:) ;)

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 28 September 17 11:46 BST (UK) »
I couldn't work out the end of the Latin, which seems to be about the Banns, or lack of, and has the name of John Davenport. The dark area in the register doesn't help.

However, both documents mention the issue of some kind of licence or certificate for the marriage of Henry Henshaw and Dorothy Upton, both of Wilmslow. (The Latin actually has Henry Henry Henshaw, which is presumably a clerical error, and the register has the spelling Willmeslow.) The register entry, as far as it can be read, has the date 3 June 1667 and the name Mr Jacob..... [possibly Bad...].

The next legible phrase is "at Adlington by virtue of a Lice[nce]", and it ends with a word beginning "Co...", which could be a name.

As so much is illegible, I couldn't say whether this entry is recording the marriage, or just the receipt of the licence. Since it's from a register, then quite probably the former, but I can't make out the crucial words. Nor can I say whether "at Adlington" refers to Jacob B's parish, or where the marriage took place (if it did).
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 28 September 17 11:48 BST (UK) »
I couldn't work out the end of the Latin, which seems to be about the Banns, or lack of, and has the name of John Davenport. The dark area in the register doesn't help.

However, both documents mention the issue of some kind of licence or certificate for the marriage of Henry Henshaw and Dorothy Upton, both of Wilmslow. (The Latin actually has Henry Henry Henshaw, which is presumably a clerical error, and the register has the spelling Willmeslow.) The register entry, as far as it can be read, has the date 3 June 1667 and the name Mr Jacob..... [possibly Bad...].

The next legible phrase is "at Adlington by virtue of a Lice[nce]", and it ends with a word beginning "Co...", which could be a name.

As so much is illegible, I couldn't say whether this entry is recording the marriage, or just the receipt of the licence. Since it's from a register, then quite probably the former, but I can't make out the crucial words. Nor can I say whether "at Adlington" refers to Jacob B's parish, or where the marriage took place (if it did).

Thank you.  :) ;)

Offline emeltom

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 September 17 16:25 BST (UK) »
CPRdb tends to use the letters zz when something is illegible. If you go into the Glossary and then Abbreviations it explains that z = an illegible letter within a word and zzzz = an illegible word.

Therefore I would imagine the word is CO something something. Could the CO be Cheshire Office or Court Of?

Emeltom
Smith Tiplady Boulton Branthwaite King Miller Woolfall Bretherton Archer and many more

Offline RobinRedBreast

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 28 September 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
CPRdb tends to use the letters zz when something is illegible. If you go into the Glossary and then Abbreviations it explains that z = an illegible letter within a word and zzzz = an illegible word.

Therefore I would imagine the word is CO something something. Could the CO be Cheshire Office or Court Of?

Emeltom

Thank you very much.  :)