Author Topic: Aria's Birmingham Gazette lookup - Birmingham Library  (Read 833 times)

Offline lithgowwood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Aria's Birmingham Gazette lookup - Birmingham Library
« on: Sunday 01 October 17 00:02 BST (UK) »
I am looking for four women who appeared at the Warwick assizes in the period 1793 to 1796.  Their court records have not survived, nor are there local Warwick newspapers before 1800. I have also tried the online newspaper sites with no luck. Aria's Birmingham Gazette does cover this period and early copies are held at the Birmingham Library but they don't offer a research service.  So, if anyone is able to assist me I would appreciate the help.
The women I am looking for were convicted at the Warwick Assize on the following dates:
Elizabeth Martin 26 March 1793
Hannah Anderson 25 March 1794
Mary Arch 21 March 1796
Ann Corrie 21 March 1796

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Aria's Birmingham Gazette lookup - Birmingham Library
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 October 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hello
I'm at Birmingham Library now and have just finished looking through the Arias Gazette.I've spent an hour and a half looking for the dates you required so I haven't skimped through the paper (it's 4 pages each weekly edition) but no luck at all with any of them.
(Page 3 of each edition if any one else wants a  try.The new super dooper microfilm reader is a killer!)
Mar 21st 1796 is there but the 28th edition is missing part of the details of Warwick azzizes.The page is there but the printed paragraph and the bottom of the column is too faint to read and it continued at the top of the next column which is ok.
But the ladies are just not there.
Are you sure you have the right dates?

Really sorry

Ciderdrinker

Offline lithgowwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 October 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker, thank you SO much for your time and effort which is very much appreciated.  I'm afraid I do have the right dates. I guess their crimes will remain unknown.

Again, THANK YOU!

Offline Keitht

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 15 October 17 00:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I tried a different method, trying to match the dates and names against Ancestry's England & Wales Criminal Registers, 1791 - 1892 for the whole country but like Ciderdrinker I'm afraid I drew a blank in every case.

Besides Arriss it might be worth checking whether the Birmingham Journal was in existence that early and Coventry papers regularly carried reports of trials at Warwick.

Sorry I can be no more helpful.

Keith

Offline lithgowwood

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 October 17 02:00 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Keith.  Unfortunately, the Warwick Assize records for that period do not exist and, yes, there is nothing in the Criminal Register. I've tried other regional newspaper sources already. Birmingham Journal only dates back to 1800. It turns out to be a case of known history being only what is recorded.