Author Topic: Confirmation of Date and Details  (Read 8736 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmation of Date and Details
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
Just to add to what is above, the bequests are not to William Gotley and John Edmond themselves, but to their wives (unnamed).

Also, there is nothing for Robert Sprott - the bequest is for repairing ‘the dangerous footpath next to the gate of Robert Sprott’.

Thanks for that.

Matt

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 00:50 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth, Henry Essheherst appears in another will in the same area and time period, also in the context of being assigned a sum to mend highways:

First paragraph:
http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/Wills/Bk52/page%2005.htm

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
For what it's worth, Henry Essheherst appears in another will in the same area and time period, also in the context of being assigned a sum to mend highways:

First paragraph:
http://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Libr/Wills/Bk52/page%2005.htm

Hiya

Yes you're right. I've seen that Will myself and find it interesting to read. Perhaps Henry Essheherst (and others) were in charge of looking after the roads in some way.

Matt

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 04 June 19 22:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
Im a new member to Rootschat. But I am also searching on the Essherst/Asherst line in Ashford and Kingsnorth, which are my direct line ancestors. I also have been wading through John Asherst's will of 1493 and Henry Esseherst's will of 1463. I believe John is the son of Henry. As to Alice who you say is your ancestor, John Asherst mentions four daughters in his will, Isabelle, Bennett, Alys and Elizabeth. Also, John Asherst of Ashford (will 1512) mentions a number of sisters, Isabelle, Gennett (Bennett), Elisie (Elizabeth), Alice and Marion (the last two I believe are the children of his mother, Elena, by her first husband, Peter Peryn), so that would make him the son of John Asherst (will 1493). It is unclear as to whether John Asherst (will 1493) had a daughter Alys by his wife Elena or whether he refers to his step-daughter, or both, as they are mentioned separately in his will. I am struggling with some of the links in the family and wonder if your research could help me.
Thanks, Gerelle

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 00:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt
Im a new member to Rootschat. But I am also searching on the Essherst/Asherst line in Ashford and Kingsnorth, which are my direct line ancestors. I also have been wading through John Asherst's will of 1493 and Henry Esseherst's will of 1463. I believe John is the son of Henry. As to Alice who you say is your ancestor, John Asherst mentions four daughters in his will, Isabelle, Bennett, Alys and Elizabeth. Also, John Asherst of Ashford (will 1512) mentions a number of sisters, Isabelle, Gennett (Bennett), Elisie (Elizabeth), Alice and Marion (the last two I believe are the children of his mother, Elena, by her first husband, Peter Peryn), so that would make him the son of John Asherst (will 1493). It is unclear as to whether John Asherst (will 1493) had a daughter Alys by his wife Elena or whether he refers to his step-daughter, or both, as they are mentioned separately in his will. I am struggling with some of the links in the family and wonder if your research could help me.
Thanks, Gerelle

Hi Gerelle (that's an unusual name btw)

Your message came as a bit of a surprise to me as I haven't looked at the Esshurst/Ash[h]urst family for a few years now.

I have copies of the wills you mentioned (Henry 1463 and John 1512) as well as several others but I am struggling with some of the writing myself. Do you have a transcript of those two and if so can you send me a copy?

I have made notes on the 1524 Will of William Assheherste of Great Chart and in this he mentions the following people, his daughter Alice, his sons Henry and Thomas, his wife Elizabeth, and his cousin Thomas son of his brother Thomas.

Hopefully we can work this family out between us. I look forward to hearing from you and I'll send you more details tomorrow.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 04:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
I was really surprised to get such a quick response, as I knew it was late at night in England when I sent the message. I live in Brisbane, Australia. Anyway, I dont have full transcripts of the wills, just what information I could glean from reading each of them. I have read about 26 wills relating to the Asherst family in Ashford, Kingsnorth and Great Chart but am really having difficulty putting the family together.

The earliest will I have is Richard Assheherst of Kingsnorth 1464 (in latin). In his will he mentions that he has a wife and daughter, both unamed. Richard, Ralph and John Taylor are executors and Thomas Assheherst is witness.

Henry Esseherst of Great Chart Will 1463 (in latin). Has lands in Great Chart and Kingsnorth. Not sure but is his wife Agatha? Children are John Thomas, Johnit (Jennet), Thomasine and possibly Henry and Agatha? Could really do with some help on this will.

Thomas Assheherst of Kingsnorth Will 1473 (in latin). Wife is Helesie; children are Thomas, Edward, Helesie and Anne. John Ayssherst of Great Chart is mentioned and John Pye is witness.

John Asherst of Ashford Will 1493 (latin and english). Wife is Elena or Elene who was previously married to Peter Peryn by who she had children, Marion Peryn, Alice Peryn and possibly Nicholas Peryn. Children of John Asherst are Isabelle Benedict (Bennett), William (not 18 in 1493 and inherits lands in Ashford), John (not 18 in 1493 and inherits lands in Kingsnorth), Alys and Elizabeth. Also mentioned are William Cloke of Kingsnorth, Johan At Wode (Attwood) and Thomas Asherst of Kingsnorth who is executor.

Elena Essherst of Ashford Will 1498 (widow of John Asherst above). She mentions her son, John Peryn, his wife Alice and their children, Marion and Alice. She also mentions her father, Clement Gifford, Thomas Essherst of Kingsnorth, William Fryght of Ashford and John, Thomas and William Farvo (Parvo). I should re-read this will as there may be more information.

I also have copies of the wills of John Asherst of Ashford 1512, Thomas Essherst of Ashford 1512, Thomas Asherst of Great Chart 1500, John Essherst of Ashford 1517/8, Thomas Asherst of Ashford 1518, Harry Essheherst Snr. of Kingsnorth 1530, Richard Assheherst of Kingsnorth 1540 and William Assheharste of Great Chart 1524 and several more later wills.

But I do have a few questions which I hope you might have an answer.

John Asherst (Will 1493) mentions a son William who inherits lands in Ashford. However, I have not been able to find a will for this William. His brother, John Asherst who supposedly inherits lands in Kingsnorth from his father, is of Bevyr in Ashford according to his will of 1512.

Is Bevyr a specific place in Ashford or part of a family estate?

That's probably enough for now. I have drafted up a rough pedigree, but as I said, am having trouble putting it all together, to make the dates and names all fit. Plus missing a few!!

My line comes through Erasmus Elmestone who married Elisabeth Asherst, daug of John Asherst of Ashford (Will 1583) and Elizabeth Asherst of Ashford (Will 1613). Im having trouble connecting this John into the earlier Asherst family. Seem to be missing a generation.

Look forward to your reply.
Gerelle.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 05:19 BST (UK) »

If you scroll down to page 10 of the pdf (link below), titled Notes and Queries, the second paragraph has a theory on the location of Bevyr  "of which, in  1512,   John Essherst  of Essheford  willed  that his  feoffees  should  make 'a  legal estate' to  his son John  when he attained  the  age  of  22  years.

https://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Pub/ArchCant/Vol.026%20-%201904/026-14.pdf

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 05 June 19 13:21 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
I was really surprised to get such a quick response, as I knew it was late at night in England when I sent the message. I live in Brisbane, Australia. Anyway, I dont have full transcripts of the wills, just what information I could glean from reading each of them. I have read about 26 wills relating to the Asherst family in Ashford, Kingsnorth and Great Chart but am really having difficulty putting the family together.

The earliest will I have is Richard Assheherst of Kingsnorth 1464 (in latin). In his will he mentions that he has a wife and daughter, both unamed. Richard, Ralph and John Taylor are executors and Thomas Assheherst is witness.

Henry Esseherst of Great Chart Will 1463 (in latin). Has lands in Great Chart and Kingsnorth. Not sure but is his wife Agatha? Children are John Thomas, Johnit (Jennet), Thomasine and possibly Henry and Agatha? Could really do with some help on this will.

Thomas Assheherst of Kingsnorth Will 1473 (in latin). Wife is Helesie; children are Thomas, Edward, Helesie and Anne. John Ayssherst of Great Chart is mentioned and John Pye is witness.

John Asherst of Ashford Will 1493 (latin and english). Wife is Elena or Elene who was previously married to Peter Peryn by who she had children, Marion Peryn, Alice Peryn and possibly Nicholas Peryn. Children of John Asherst are Isabelle Benedict (Bennett), William (not 18 in 1493 and inherits lands in Ashford), John (not 18 in 1493 and inherits lands in Kingsnorth), Alys and Elizabeth. Also mentioned are William Cloke of Kingsnorth, Johan At Wode (Attwood) and Thomas Asherst of Kingsnorth who is executor.

Elena Essherst of Ashford Will 1498 (widow of John Asherst above). She mentions her son, John Peryn, his wife Alice and their children, Marion and Alice. She also mentions her father, Clement Gifford, Thomas Essherst of Kingsnorth, William Fryght of Ashford and John, Thomas and William Farvo (Parvo). I should re-read this will as there may be more information.

I also have copies of the wills of John Asherst of Ashford 1512, Thomas Essherst of Ashford 1512, Thomas Asherst of Great Chart 1500, John Essherst of Ashford 1517/8, Thomas Asherst of Ashford 1518, Harry Essheherst Snr. of Kingsnorth 1530, Richard Assheherst of Kingsnorth 1540 and William Assheharste of Great Chart 1524 and several more later wills.

But I do have a few questions which I hope you might have an answer.

John Asherst (Will 1493) mentions a son William who inherits lands in Ashford. However, I have not been able to find a will for this William. His brother, John Asherst who supposedly inherits lands in Kingsnorth from his father, is of Bevyr in Ashford according to his will of 1512.

That's probably enough for now. I have drafted up a rough pedigree, but as I said, am having trouble putting it all together, to make the dates and names all fit. Plus missing a few!!

My line comes through Erasmus Elmestone who married Elisabeth Asherst, daug of John Asherst of Ashford (Will 1583) and Elizabeth Asherst of Ashford (Will 1613). Im having trouble connecting this John into the earlier Asherst family. Seem to be missing a generation.

Look forward to your reply.
Gerelle.

Hi Gerelle

Yes it was quite late when I posted that reply to your message, I'm usually up late reading or researching.

I am at the National Archives at Kew nr London now (it's just gone 1.15pm) so I guess you'll get this later.

That was quite a bit of info you posted but it does add up with what I have. I will send you another message later with the details of my link to the family, but in the meantime you might like to look at the following which is another post of mine:

Help with 15th century Wills

I've posted several sections from various Assherst/Asshurst/Essheherst/Eshhurst [etc] wills on there and there has been a lot of response. Hopefully by combining what we know we can put the tree together.

Anyhow that's all for now but expect a bigger reply later.

Best Wishes from England
Matt

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 06 June 19 22:01 BST (UK) »

If you scroll down to page 10 of the pdf (link below), titled Notes and Queries, the second paragraph has a theory on the location of Bevyr  "of which, in  1512,   John Essherst  of Essheford  willed  that his  feoffees  should  make 'a  legal estate' to  his son John  when he attained  the  age  of  22  years.

https://www.kentarchaeology.org.uk/Research/Pub/ArchCant/Vol.026%20-%201904/026-14.pdf

Thanks bbart for this information. I have looked up Beaver House in Ashford to find that it is a Grade II listed building on Hampden Road, Ashford, a late medieval timber-framed house.
Thanks again, Gerelle.