Author Topic: Confirmation of Date and Details  (Read 8618 times)

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Confirmation of Date and Details
« Reply #45 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 10:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
I was looking through the wills that I now have transcripts for but don't seem to be able to find one for the will of Thomas Ayssherst of Kingsnorth 1473/4. Yet, when I read through the will, I feel like I have read a transcript somewhere but can't find it. Do you have a transcript of this will? 

Did you have any success with the wills you were searching for?

Cheers, Gerelle

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 11 June 19 23:55 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
I've had some help from Horselydown and Bookbox on getting transcripts of a couple of the early latin Asherst wills (see under topic "Help with Ashert Wills"). I have just received the final parts of the transcript for Richard Essheherst of Kingsnorth's will 1464. You may want to have a read through that. It says that he has sons and daughters (unfortunately unamed) and a sister, who has a daughter, Alice Honywode. It also mentions Henry Assheherst (who I assume is his brother) and also mentions that lands came to him after the death of Thomas Hert (possibly his father-in-law). It also says that his wife is expecting another child, so all of his children must be fairly young and that is why they are not mentioned by name as heirs perhaps.

In the other version of his will 1463, he also mentions a Thomas Assherst. I suspect that one version of the will was written before his death which was imcomplete and the other after his death, but as they were both dated 18 May but a year apart, it is hard to say without a death or probate date.

Cheers, Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 12 June 19 10:44 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,

Re: the will of John Essherst of Ashford 1512/1514
In one of my earlier posts, I asked if you had the probatum clause of this will. As I was looking back through your early posts I found where you had posted a copy of it, so thanks for that.
Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Monday 17 June 19 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt,
Have been looking into your Alice Asherst who married Thomas Denne.
The information I found was that it was an Agnes Ashurst (born 1458 Kingston) daug of William Ashurst (born circa 1430) who married Thomas Denne (born 1455 Denne Hill, Kingston son of John Denne and Alice Arderne) circa 1480 and had children Avice 1488, Thomas 1489 and William 1495.

Don't know if this helps.
Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Monday 17 June 19 11:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Again,

Sorry, missed the pedigree of Denne in Visitation of Kent 1619. So obviously, there was an Alice Eshehurst who married a Thomas Denne as well. Not sure if it is the same family as the Asshersts or not?
Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Monday 17 June 19 11:59 BST (UK) »
It certainly fits the time frame really well and it is possible that William Eshehurst (the father of Agnes Eshehurst) is a brother of Henry Essheherst, Richard Assheherst and Thomas Ayssherst. Hope you are getting these messages, as I haven't had any reply from you.
Cheers, Gerelle.

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 30 June 19 21:08 BST (UK) »
Regarding the repair of roads and highways in John Essherst's will of 1512 and elsewhere.  I recently read that the roads and highways around Beaver, Ashford were very poor and that the local citizentry took it upon themselves to improve them.

Offline Marayong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 28 July 22 04:49 BST (UK) »
It's been a while but I was wondering if there has been any new evidence found on the parentage of Alice Essherst who married Thomas Denne?

Offline gloveg

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 19 September 22 17:48 BST (UK) »
It's been a while but I was wondering if there has been any new evidence found on the parentage of Alice Essherst who married Thomas Denne?
Hi Marayong,
The Alice Essherst who married Thomas Denne is most likely Elys the daughter of John Assherst and mentioned in his will of 1493. I did find recently a small Asherst pedigree on page 7 of Arthur Hussey's book "Wills in Ashford" which had that Elys (the daughter of John Asherst of Beavor, Ashford who died 1493) married Thomas Denne. Obviously, this is not a confirmation that it is correct, but from our further research on the Asherst line, we have been able to establish that this John Asherst of Ashford was the son of the William Essherst whose daughter Agnes married the elder Thomas Denne, so there was quite an association between the Asherst and Denne families at that time.