Author Topic: Leffler and Hicks  (Read 484 times)

Offline St.ClairBeach.girl

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Leffler and Hicks
« on: Monday 02 October 17 19:33 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Henry Leffler (Heinrich Loffler?) from Frankfurt, Germany was born in 1818. I am looking for any information on his early yrs., specifically before 1861. I am also  trying to find his wife's (Margaret) maiden name. My cousin remembers going to visit the Staudacher family in Wayne, Michigan. Some personal records give her name as 'Standacle or Stodaku' but I cannot find any record to prove this. She was also born in Germany.

I am also trying to find information (birth and marriage info) on the early yrs. of Henry Hicks (b.1818) and Selina Stowe or Stone.

Thank you.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Leffler and Hicks
« Reply #1 on: Monday 02 October 17 20:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to rootschat, StClairBeach.girl.

As a little background, could you say when and where they arrived in America (or elsewhere)?

Similarly, when and where have you a definite sighting for Henry Hicks and/or Selina?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 02 October 17 23:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for replying to me.

I cannot find any immigration records for  Henry or Margaret Leffler or Henry and Selina. I have only census records to say that they came from Germany and England.

Henry Leffler - Census record (1861) when he lived in Maidstone Township. He was with Margaret at the time. His death record states that he was born in Frankfort, Germany.

For Henry Hicks - an 1861 immigration note for Henry  but nothing for Selina and no records at all for their birth in England. I have an 1861 and later census records for Henry and Selina.

Thank you.

Offline chempat

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 19:24 BST (UK) »
You mentioned Wayne, Michigan, but then say about Maidstone Township - which is Ontario?

Are Henry and Selina also Canada?

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 03 October 17 21:20 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Sorry for being confusing.

I have no immigration record on Henry. My cousin visited family named 'Standaucher' (spelling?) in Wayne,Michigan. Since I cannot find Margaret's maiden name I'm wondering if her maiden name was 'Standaucher' rather than 'Standacle.' Did Henry meet Margaret in Wayne, Michigan after he immigrated? Did he live there for a while before coming up to Canada? I cannot find anything on Henry before 1861 and I cannot find anything on him in Germany so that's why I'm wondering if he perhaps lived in the States for a time, married Margaret and then came up to Canada to live. According to the same cousin, Henry and Margaret were given their land grant in 1867 and farmed in Maidstone Township until their deaths.

Henry Hicks and Selina were born in England but immigrated to Canada and were also farmers in Maidstone Township.

I hope this makes sense :) I hope you are enjoying a nice day.