Author Topic: Look up request for birth date/place John Smith Father of Vere and Edward Smith  (Read 5475 times)

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request for birth date/place John Smith Father of Vere and Edward Smith
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 20:15 GMT (UK) »
the will suggests that Edward was living in Tredegar, not that he was born there.

It's certainly possible that it's the same Elizabeth. St Mary Redcliffe is a well known church & they may have married there by licence, so neither resident in the parish. This is before Hardwicke's Marriage Act.

There's a Prerogative Court of Canterbury will probated 1728 for Mary Herbert, spinster of Bristol, which mentions the Manor of Caldicott & Newton. It's not the easiest to read and the grant is in Latin. I think her father was Francis & her mother Margaret.
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Look up request for birth date/place John Smith Father of Vere and Edward Smith
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 30 October 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
osprey

Thanks for putting me right Edward Smith and that the will suggests that Edward was living in Tredegar, not that he was born there.

Also, for finding this information re Mary Herbert and her Will and interesting information that it mentions the Manor of Caldicot and Newton and ties it up with her.  Daughter of Francis and Margaret.  I have read up on the history of the Herbert family a little and think that this Francis and Margaret lived in a Manor in Sudbrook

I was told that a Thomas Smith had married the youngest daughter of a Vere Herbert who was the Sherriff of Caldecott but it must have been Edward Smith and they also said that was the reason why the Herbert and Vere names have been in each generation of our family having heard that I was curious to find out more about the familys past history.

Thanks again for your information and help you have answered a lot of questions.

Elizlloyd
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 29 January 19 22:05 GMT (UK) »
osprey

Thank you for your help and in your post which I have quoted below well I contacted Bristol Archives for a copy of the Marriage Licence for Edward Smith and Elizabeth Herbert married 1725 St Mary's Redcliffe, Bristol well I have had a reply back about the licence from the Archives Assistant which was kind of her and very helpful.

"Unfortunately I am unable to send you a copy order form for the marriage licence of Edward Smith and Elizabeth Herbert as all of the marriage licences from 1723 – 1726 are too delicate to be digitised or to be made available to the public.

However, according to a partial transcription that was made many years ago, Edward is recorded as being from Cornwall and Elizabeth from St Michael, Bristol. Edward’s bondsman is listed as a John Thomas of Bristol."

So osprey this looks like this could be the right couple for my family, and I m surprised to see Edward Smith comes from Cornwall..  I wonder what made him move to Tredegar and work there I wonder if he had a farm there.. also I wonder if Elizabeth Herbert was born in St Michael Bristol and then moved to Wales.

Anyway I just thought I would update you with the information shown on the marriage licence.

Thanks

Elizlloyd

the will suggests that Edward was living in Tredegar, not that he was born there.

It's certainly possible that it's the same Elizabeth. St Mary Redcliffe is a well known church & they may have married there by licence, so neither resident in the parish. This is before Hardwicke's Marriage Act.

There's a Prerogative Court of Canterbury will probated 1728 for Mary Herbert, spinster of Bristol, which mentions the Manor of Caldicott & Newton. It's not the easiest to read and the grant is in Latin. I think her father was Francis & her mother Margaret.
Way, Haydon, Sharland, Frost, Gunn, Searles, Carew, Jones, Gould, Smith, Featherstone, Lloyd,

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 August 20 12:22 BST (UK) »
osprey

Hello i just want find out  the name of the church where the marriage took place in Magor between Thomas Smith and Mary Taylor 17 May 1756 as I've searched on Freereg Findmypast and Family search and wondered if you would be kind enough to help me please I would also like to obtain a copy of this marriage record.

Thank you

Elizlloyd

looks a match, doesn't it. Marriage of parents

Thomas Smith married Mary Taylor, a minor, 17 May 1756 in Magor by licence, both otp and by consent of Mary's guardian, witnesses Vere Smith and Richard Branson.

A possible for the Vere who was the witness is the Vere son of Edward Smith bp 5 Oct 1726 in Caldicot, so possible for Thomas son of Edward Smith bp 13 Nov 1729 also in Caldicot.

Offline osprey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 20:14 BST (UK) »
at that time, any church marriage took place in the parish church. Magor is small and there is only one church.

https://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/MON/Magor/

https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/1687646
Cornwall: Allen, Bevan, Bosisto, Carnpezzack, Donithorn, Huddy, James, Retallack, Russell, Vincent, Yeoman
Cards: Thomas (Llanbadarn Fawr)
Glam: Bowler, Cram, Galloway, James, Thomas, Watkins
Lincs: Coupland, Cram
Mon: Cram, Gwyn, John, Philpot, Smart, Watkins
Pembs: Edwards (St. Dogmael's)
Yorks: Airey, Bowler, Elliott, Hare, Hewitt, Kellett, Kemp, Stephenson, Tebb

Offline Elizlloyd

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 18 August 20 21:57 BST (UK) »
osprey

Thank you for your reply and appreciate your links enclosed that's very kind of you and thanks for your help.  I will have a look at the information on the links and thank you for replying to my message to you.

Thanks

Elizlloyd