Author Topic: Missing Surname  (Read 906 times)

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Missing Surname
« on: Wednesday 04 October 17 10:39 BST (UK) »
Morning all. First time dipping my toe into Ireland for the first time and I'm stumped straight away. My gt gt grandfather, James Young Dallas, or James Dallas, according to all his childrens (all born in Scotland) birth certificates say he married Margaret Deans in Coleraine 25th April 1870. Looking this up on the nidirect site on that date James Young married Margaret Deen. Her name changes spelling slightly over time but he seems to have gained a surname. His father on the wed cert is John Young, stone mason, on his death cert his father is now John Dallas, mason. I'm sure it's the right marriage certificate but surely there's no reason to miss a surname off a marriage cert or do you reckon he took a new surname after moving to Scotland?
Mills, Dallas, Stewart, McCulloch,

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Missing Surname
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 10:46 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Young was his mothers surname. 
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 11:03 BST (UK) »
I wonder if Young was his mothers surname.

Mothers name was Elizabeth Diffen according to JYD's death cert.

Offline Dexter 18

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 14:11 BST (UK) »
Hi !
I don't know if this is relevant, but I did a random search of the Irish census 1901 and there is 1 man called John Young Dallas ( age 49 born Edinburgh ) living in Woodland Stillorgan . I wonder if young is more of a middle name
As in John Junior  / or Sean og as we would say in Ireland.
                                                                                                                      Regards Robbie.

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 04 October 17 15:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robbie, It could be but why would their middle names be on a marriage certificate and not their surnames. Cant get my head around it. I have 1881, 91, 01 and 11 censuses for him and they all say he's from Ireland so you'res isn't my man. The search continues.

Offline Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 06:50 BST (UK) »
Thanks Robbie, It could be but why would their middle names be on a marriage certificate and not their surnames. Cant get my head around it. I have 1881, 91, 01 and 11 censuses for him and they all say he's from Ireland so you'res isn't my man. The search continues.

Because the registrar for the marriage might have misunderstood the "young" as a surname, and used it as such, when it was meant more as a qualifier, along the lines of junior/senior?

Was the fellow in question literate, or was he a marksman (signed via a mark).
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline cupasoop

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 October 17 08:41 BST (UK) »

Because the registrar for the marriage might have misunderstood the "young" as a surname, and used it as such, when it was meant more as a qualifier, along the lines of junior/senior?

Was the fellow in question literate, or was he a marksman (signed via a mark).

Never thought of that, everyone on the cert is x marks. Would have had to rely on someone else signing his name and no guarantee they would have done it correctly.Strangely enough, the registrar is also called Young.