Author Topic: John Austen 1418-1471  (Read 6389 times)

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: John Austen 1418-1471
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 01 December 20 19:18 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Gary, the Austens only occur in my mother's father's family tree priot to 1688.
Best of luck, John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 03 December 20 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi.

Looking for any info re the following.

Regards,

Gary
Australia.

Jno. Austen
England Marriages, 1538–1973   birth:
Of This Parish
marriage:
19 January 1764
Ashford Parish, Kent, England   spouse:
Eliz. Castle

Hi John

Not sure if this is any help to you but there is a John Austen born in Wye in 1742. I believe he's part of my tree but I will need to check my notes at home. He was the son of Lawrence and Elizabeth.

It looks like this Lawrence was born in 1700 in Wye and was the son of another Lawrence and his wife Mary.

This last Lawrence may have been born in Wye in 1662 the son of Thomas Wye.

I don't know about any marriages yet as I am in the town now but I can check my Austen tree and notes at  home later. A lot of my Austens came from Wye and the tree is quite big plus I do have several wills for them.

I will see if there's anything that might help.

Matt

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 03 December 20 23:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

My mother's father's family tree starts with a Mary Austen b circa 1686 around Ashford, in Kent.

The first Austin I have in Wye is Matthew baptised 01.10.1629 and his father is Valentine b circa 1595, so I am not sure where our families merge?

Regards, John 

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 04 December 20 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

My mother's father's family tree starts with a Mary Austen b circa 1686 around Ashford, in Kent.

The first Austin I have in Wye is Matthew baptised 01.10.1629 and his father is Valentine b circa 1595, so I am not sure where our families merge?

Regards, John

Hi Cousin!

Bingo there's the link! My ancestor is Elizabeth Austen, Matthew's half-sister. She was baptised in 1642 and married John Kennett.

I can take the Austen line back at least another few generations to the early 16th century.

Confusingly though I actually have two lines of Austen ancestors lol!

Anyhow I will send an update tomorrow. If you want you can send me a pm with your email and I can send you a GEDCOM of the tree I have.

Best Wishes

Matt

Offline JAC100

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 04 December 20 10:15 GMT (UK) »
To a very distant Cousin

I was never very good at school at working on family relationships, so goodness knows how many 'removes' we are!

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

My Austins go back from Mary b 1686 to Henry b 1350 but  after that, the link to Edward III b 1312 is a little more tenuous!

Do you live anywhere near Rutland?

Best wishes, John

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Friday 04 December 20 14:06 GMT (UK) »

Hi John

First, in answer to your question, nope I live in Watford, Hertfordshire. That said however, my mum's ancestors came from Great Weldon in Northamptonshire, and several parishes in Leicestershire several generations back in the 17th and 18th centuries.

I must admit my ancestry is pretty spread out on both sides of my family, with links in Kent [where I have a lot of ancestors on both sides], Sussex, Surrey, Dorset, Devon, Somerset, Leicestershire, London, Middlesex, Northamptonshire, Essex and Berkshire! I don't think I have missed anywhere.

Yes I did! Ireland although that's more complicated.

I was interested in your note about the link to Edward III, can you tell me more? Even if it's just a theory.

Anyhow I will email you this evening with an update.

Matt

Offline MartinGM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Friday 26 November 21 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I also share the Dennes, as I have Richard Austin b 1512 married to Agnes Denne b 1518.

I have uncorroborated links back to Robert Deene b circa 1000, in a reasonable chain ie no serious anomalies.

Regards, John

Although very widely copied around, we have found no ** evidence ** that Richard Austen's wife Agnes was Agnes Denne. There are some hints, no more, in Robert Denne's will and a completely unsupported and unsourced statement in Robert Sewell's work http://www.robertsewell.ca/denne.html

The identification of Agnes Denne as Richard Austen's wife is, at best, speculative.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Friday 26 November 21 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Matt

I also share the Dennes, as I have Richard Austin b 1512 married to Agnes Denne b 1518.

I have uncorroborated links back to Robert Deene b circa 1000, in a reasonable chain ie no serious anomalies.

Regards, John

Although very widely copied around, we have found no ** evidence ** that Richard Austen's wife Agnes was Agnes Denne. There are some hints, no more, in Robert Denne's will and a completely unsupported and unsourced statement in Robert Sewell's work http://www.robertsewell.ca/denne.html

The identification of Agnes Denne as Richard Austen's wife is, at best, speculative.

Hello again!

Yes I agree with you about Richard Austen's wife. I have seen her name given as "Agnes", "Agnes Denne", "Agnes/Anne" so I agree we can't be sure of her surname. We can, however, be certain that her first name was Agnes though.

For me this isn't a big problem however, as I connect to the Denne family through other lines [I have about 4 Denne family connections!] and also connect to the Austens via two different branches.

Again leave this with me and I will update you further we more info later after work.

All the best
Matthew