Author Topic: Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate  (Read 4355 times)

Offline annieblondie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Family name Jarvey from Balbardie, Bathgate
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 October 17 14:18 BST (UK) »
You are all wonderful.

I'm reasonably new to "family treeing", so it didn't even occur to me to look at old newspapers.

I think I'm with you Forfarian on this one - it does look to me as if George Jarvey, vintner, had a son John Jarvey, vintner.  And my George could probably be the son of John Jarvey of Balbardie.

I'll keep looking.

I'm very grateful to you all for your detective work.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:04 BST (UK) »
Hmmm. I think that John Jarvey who married Mary Cleland was born at Boghall, rather than at Balbardie, and I don't know when the Jarveys took on Balbardie or which of them took it on.

I see that I perpetrated a typo, by the way, which is that George must have been born in 1725 or 1726, not 1715, if he died in 1806 aged 80. (My keyboard is doing weird things when I try to type a number!)

Thomas Jarvey and Isabella Wardrop, whom I believe to be the parents of John Jarvey in Balbardie, were married in Bathgate on 26 July 1709, and had three recorded sons: Alexander, born 11 February and baptised 22 May 1724; George, baptised 29 October 1726; Joseph, born 1 January baptised 2 February 1729. So this George is an almost exact fit for the vintner who died in 1806, and there is a gap between 1709 and 1724 which covers the time when John was born.

I haven't looked at those three baptisms, by the way. It is possible that they might say where in Bathgate the parents' residence was at the time.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:28 BST (UK) »
Google Books has this from The Commisariot of Edinburgh: Consistorial Processes and Decreets (unfortunately it is only a snippet view)

"against George Jarvie, brewer and feuar in Bathgate and John Jarvie, tenant in Boghall 1762 486".

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline annieblondie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 17 15:51 BST (UK) »
I plan a visit to the Mitchell Library in Glasgow to tie up all the loose ends of the family without it costing me a fortune on scotlandspeople website.  I'll add these three Jarvey/Jarvie to the ever growing list.  The records might indeed give more information on places.

Thank you too William.  I'm wondering if there may be records from the Marjoribanks family that give details of who tenanted their farms and when.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 17 16:03 BST (UK) »
"against George Jarvie, brewer and feuar in Bathgate and John Jarvie, tenant in Boghall 1762 486".
I have looked again and I see that the baptisms of the three sons of John Jarvey and Mary Cleland do not state the parents' residence, and their daughter Mary wasn't baptised in Bathgate: Mary daughter to John Jarvey and Mary Cleland in New Barricks was born and baptized July 15 1770. [Livingston Parish Register]

So it looks as if John didn't take on Balbardie until after Mary was born. I have, from somewhere, a death date in 1751 for John's probable father Thomas Jarvey. So did John take over Boghall from his father, then move to Livingston, then return and take the tenancy of Balbardie?

Looking for Marjoribanks rental rolls sounds good to me.

Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline annieblondie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 October 17 17:20 BST (UK) »
Thank you for finding that out.  That certainly makes a lot of sense.  I read somewhere that many of the small farms in the Bathgate area disappeared with the march of the coal mines and that may have been why my lot ended up in Glasgow.  They described themselves as market gardeners after that and in the area they were in during the census of 1841, there were lots of small holdings some more like very large allottments.  And, of course, the farms on the outskirts of Glasgow provided work too before the very last George ended up managing the local saw mill.  His niece, Jane Jarvey, married one of the (Brownlee) Forrest boys, so many of the extended family worked in the saw mills.

You are all very good with your research and your abilities to "think out of the box".

Thank you.

Offline annieblondie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 October 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
So you've all helped me research a bit more creatively this evening and I have found:

Mr Jarvie's Inn in Bathgate mentioned in a book called Travels in Scotland 1788-1881, where Mr Jarvie himself is described as "a most eccentric and agreeable man" and with a wonderful description of his garden.  The traveller journeyed from Sunday 23 May 1790 to the following Monday.

And Forfarian, I have come across something that may help with your research into the Cleland side, if only because it may place John and Mary.

Forbes of Callendar Papers are held by Falkirk Community Trust and it turns out they contain correspondence from John Jarvey at Balbardie, including four letters from 1790 concerning Barbauchlaw, West Lothian which he hopes William Forbes will buy.  I'm still figuring out how to see the relevant papers but it may require a wee jaunt to Falkirk.  And, of course, I'm not yet quite certain, what John Jarvey we may be dealing with.

Just wanted to keep you up-to-date.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 October 17 10:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that sounds interesting. I'll look forward to hearing what they tell you. I have a death date of 1797 for Mary Cleland's husband, so it looks very likely that this is he.

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 12 October 17 15:43 BST (UK) »
Some random info ......

West Lothian pre-1855 MI's for Bathgate High Church (on Jarvey Street) list a 19th century style obelisk for:

"George Jarvey who by his industry greatly improved Bathgate"

Also appears on Bathgate High Church Index on memento-mori.co.uk, see:

http://www.memento-mori.co.uk/117.pdf

Anne  :)