Author Topic: Obituary Look-Up Local Bournemouth Newspapers 1954  (Read 2857 times)

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Obituary Look-Up Local Bournemouth Newspapers 1954
« on: Thursday 05 October 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
Hi
I am hoping to find an obituary for a Dr Anthony McCall in any of the local Bournemouth newspapers of the time.

His date of death was 30.09.1954 and he had lived and worked in Bournemouth since 1899 and so think there is a good possibility there might be one.

I do have his obituary from the British Medical Journal 15.10.1954 issue, but was hoping to find a newspaper version. I also have his national probate index entry.

I believe the newspaper archives are accessible at Dorset History Centre but I live a long way away and it is £35.00 for a search!

Thank you.

Offline Redroger

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad and Fireman at Kings Cross 13.7.1951
    • View Profile
Re: Obituary Look-Up Local Bournemouth Newspapers 1954
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 05 October 17 11:31 BST (UK) »
I live in Bournemouth and from time to time visit the Dorset History centre. I am planning a visit in the near future, but can't say exactly when.
Roger
Ayres Brignell Cornwell Harvey Shipp  Stimpson Stubbings (all Cambs) Baumber Baxter Burton Ethards Proctor Stanton (all Lincs) Luffman (all counties)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 05 October 17 14:31 BST (UK) »
The Heritage Centre in Bournemouth Library should have the local papers on microfilm, I know they did have them as I looked at them myself some time ago.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 05 October 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
I live in Bournemouth and from time to time visit the Dorset History centre. I am planning a visit in the near future, but can't say exactly when.
Roger

Thanks Roger, I am in no rush whatsoever, so providing you do have some spare time during your next visit that would be very helpful.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 06 October 17 04:17 BST (UK) »
I can't see an obit in my resources, but there is an interesting article about Dr Anthony McCALL and his son Anthony G McCALL involved in a will fraud of Mary Jane TRAPNELL, which was finally settled in 1955. The article I read is in The Times February 3, 1955, Issue 53156, p.7. If you haven't seen it, I could attach a copy?

There are a few other items about the family in various newspapers - family notices and a nice item about the wedding of Elma McCALL and Arthur McINTYRE.

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 07 October 17 22:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,
I have the copy of the will fraud, in which one of the ladies nurses was filling in blank cheques as I recall!

Would love to see all the other notices, especially the wedding one mentioned.

Many thanks

Tom

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 08 October 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
Here are some family notices that I could see, and a snippet in Punch. I tried to attach the item about Elma's wedding as it has a photo of the groom (sadly not the bride) but I can't see how to attach it here. I'll send you a personal message to try to send it to you, with originals of the family notices if you'd like.

The Daily Telegraph, Monday, March 6, 1944, Issue 27684, p.6.
McCall-Price- On March 4 1944 at Marylebone Parish Church, Dr Anthony McCall of Bournemouth, to Mayla, widow of Reginald Unedale Price and elder daughter of the late Capt and Mrs Ashley Mackenzie.

The Times, August 13, 1943, Issue 49623, p.1.
McCall – On Wednesday August 11 1943, at 35 Christchurch Rd, Bournemouth, Mary the wife of Dr Anthony McCall. No flowers.

Punch, Wednesday, December 11, 1929, Vol. CLXXVII, Issue 4645, p.645.
Charivaria
… Dr Anthony McCall foresees the medical profession running a monster store, with the general practitioner as a shopwalker, directing his clients to the departments which seem suitable to their cases. We visualise a rush of hypochondriacs to the bargain basement.

The Times, June 5, 1924, Issue 43670, p.15.
Mr A G McCall and Miss M G Barrow
The engagement is announced between Anthony Gilchrist McCall, only son of Dr and Mrs McCall, Bournemouth and Margery Grantham Barrow, second daughter of Mr and Mrs L M Barrow, Normanton Hall, Southwell, Notts.

The Times, September 21, 1921, Issue 42831, p.13.
My H R Gough and Mrs E G McIntyre
A marriage will shortly take place between Harold Robert Gough, elder son of the late Robert Gough and Mrs Gough of Clifton, Bristol, and Elma, only daughter of Dr and Mrs Anthony McCall, of 33 Christchurch Rd, Bournemouth.

The Gentlewoman and Modern Life, August 10, 1912, Vol. 45, Issue 1153, p.186.
Mr Arthur Seymour McIntyre to Miss Elma G McCall
A pretty wedding took place on Wednesday July 31st, at St Andrew’s Church, Boscombe, between Miss Elma Gilchrist McCall, who is the daughter of Dr and Mrs Anthony McCall of Boscombe Court, Bournemouth, and Mr Arthur Seymour McIntyre, youngest son of the late Dr William McIntyre of Odiham, Hants and Mrs McIntyre, of Wincham, Bournemouth …
(there's quite a bit more description of the wedding - I'll try to attach it)

Yorkshire Evening Post, Thursday, January 10, 1895, Issue 1363, p.2.
McCall – January 7 at the Terrace House, Conisborough, Yorkshire, the wife of Dr Anthony McCall, of a son.

(Not sure if this last one is yours, but it's there if you want it  :) )

Offline Tom 23

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 08 October 17 08:18 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much indeed, I really appreciate the info, some I have but the wedding description is definitely new!  :)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 08 October 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom 23

In case you were not aware a lot of English libraries have access to The Times online,  you just need your library card to log on via your local library web site

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk