Author Topic: Baptism Flint Parish Records  (Read 6211 times)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Baptism Flint Parish Records
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 05 October 17 20:52 BST (UK) »
Mill Brow is here:
https://historicplacenames.rcahmw.gov.uk/placenames/recordedname/49e33098-5e77-43cc-bb2c-e9f3f566adad

Yes! ;D It does feel like chasing a ghost because we still don't know his name? ???
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 October 17 22:20 BST (UK) »
Oh no! I've just spent about 20 minutes writing a reply and 'and error' occurred just as I was about the to post.. I has all disappeared.
Many apologies.. I didn't want to be a nusisance. Name Thomas Davies born about 1835/36 Flint. Occupation Collier. Daughter Mary (my gt. Grandmother) 1861/62 and Ann 1868. (If I have the right family in Census).  She married in Liverpool 1883 but in 1891 Census says she is born Flint. Father on marriage entry is Thomas Davies, Collier. There is a Thomas and Sarah with Mary and Ann in 1871 Flint with Edward Griffiths, who I think is Sarah's father. Sarah and Thomas appear in Census up to and including 1901. He is buried in July 1901 at Northop old cemetery.
However the only marriage for a Sarah Griffiths and Thomas Davies is 1850 when he would be 14! I can't find any Census records that look likely. There are two Baptisms in 1835/35 (1) Thomas and Jane (2) Thomas and Ann.
I still don't have the right birth record for Mary, which would at least confirm if I have the right wife/mother in Sarah Griffiths. I'm just about to and for another copy from the GRO.
Thanks for the map.. I looked for one but couldn't find anything.
Also thanks Roger for the non conformist bmd reg. I didn't know about that. There are dozens of Thomas Davies though so I need more clues before taking that further.

Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Davies, Griffiths, Griffith, Jones, Ellis. Flintshire, Wales.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 05 October 17 22:28 BST (UK) »
Roger .. also thanks for Freereg... I didn't know about that either! Wonderful. Now I've got too many candidates!!
Searle, Searell, Searell, Bradridge, Furneaux, Mann, Palk(e), Webber, Caunter, Cantor, Scoble, Leatherbe(e), Pope , Bowden, Full, Colling, Widecomb. Harvey, Solomon, Willis, Grylls, Alger, Chugg, Rouse, Bunker, Richards, Hawkins. Devon.
Robinson, Dennison, Birch, Howard, Barton, Jones, Rigby, Rimmer, Rhymer, Johnson, Marshall, Lunt, Ball, Illingworth, Hesketh, Taylor, Bolton, Abram, Spencer, Blundell. Lancashire.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 05 October 17 22:30 BST (UK) »

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 05 October 17 22:38 BST (UK) »
If I have the correct death record he is given as 67 in 1901,putting birth more like 1833/1834.

Regards
Roger

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 05 October 17 22:55 BST (UK) »
Yes.. I think at is him. Burial was 16 July. In one Census the estimate is 1834 and another 1838..either way that makes him too young to marry in 1850 I think.
But is he the same Thomas Davies who appears as father of Mary in 1883? Somehow the evidence seems circumstantial..
Except that, if there is a Thomas and Sarah in the Census records there must be a marriage somewhere!

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 05 October 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
The parish of Flint comes under the Registration District of Holywell.
FreeBMD is showing 7 births for Mary Davies, 1861-1862, in Holywell RD!

So, switching to the GRO Index Search, we find this one:
DAVIES, MARY        (Mother's Maiden Name:) GRIFFITHS      
GRO Reference: 1861  D Quarter in HOLYWELL  Volume 11B  Page 236

and

DAVIES, ANNE        GRIFFITHS        
GRO Reference: 1868  S Quarter in HOLYWELL  Volume 11B  Page 266
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Jane Lucas

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 06 October 17 07:14 BST (UK) »
Hi. Thanks for that. I have those. There is another another one for Mary Davies in the GRO..1862 D Qtr Holywell v11b, p271. I think I'll have to order both of them, which I've been putting off as I seem to have had a spate of ordering copies that turned out to be wrong. That was before the GRO included mother's maiden name.

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 06 October 17 09:27 BST (UK) »
I thought finding Thomas and Sarah in 1861 might be the key,but that has not proved the case.In fact,I'm not entirely sure I have found them.Part of the 1861 census is missing for Holywell/Flint(3),but I cannot say whether they were likely to be in there.There is a possible for Thomas as a Chem(mistrannscribed as "chain") labourer in Widnes,an occupation he also seems to have in 1891(?),unless I'm finding 2 different Thomases.Equally,I cannot positively identify Sarah.(In fact while I can identify baptisms for her brother and sister,Elias and Amelia,I can't find Sarah).As you say there is no obvious marriage either.I did wonder whether either had been married before,but the mmn data possibly suggests otherwise.I see your problem!I'll carry on looking...

Regards
Roger