Author Topic: 262 Victoria Park Road Hackney - Adoption  (Read 9592 times)

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: 262 Victoria Park Road Hackney - Adoption
« Reply #36 on: Sunday 08 October 17 04:36 BST (UK) »
It may turn out that Mr Scott was already married, so they could not legally marry.

Anyways, I realize you are only looking for the marriage, but I wanted to point out that on another forum back in 2011, someone was searching for the exact scenario (as in, 262 Victoria Park Dr for a birth in 01 Mar 1925, parents living at 85 Albert St).  If this wasn't you, I can dig the link out of my history so you can try to connect with this person.... maybe they found the answers to your mystery.

Offline rhgarmstrong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Sunday 08 October 17 08:36 BST (UK) »
It may turn out that Mr Scott was already married, so they could not legally marry.

Anyways, I realize you are only looking for the marriage, but I wanted to point out that on another forum back in 2011, someone was searching for the exact scenario (as in, 262 Victoria Park Dr for a birth in 01 Mar 1925, parents living at 85 Albert St).  If this wasn't you, I can dig the link out of my history so you can try to connect with this person.... maybe they found the answers to your mystery.
Could well have been me, but perhaps you could dig out the link just in case
Thanks for your interest and help

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Sunday 08 October 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
Not sure if the poster is still around that forum, but you gotta turn over every stone!

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/71315-Born-several-miles-away-from-family-home

Offline rhgarmstrong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Sunday 08 October 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Not sure if the poster is still around that forum, but you gotta turn over every stone!

https://www.british-genealogy.com/threads/71315-Born-several-miles-away-from-family-home
Yep that was me via an interested researcher. Thanks anyway, worth a look

Offline Eilleen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • relax
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Sunday 08 October 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
https://www.myheritage.com/names/colin_scott

the link you asked for .

Eilleen.
EXTON, from Rutland, Stamford, Boston, Lincoln. LANES, from Coleby,to Bracebridge Lincoln.WAKEFIELD,PROUDMAN Cheshire and  Stafford.<br />PINDAR, MOORE, ,CHAMBERS mostly from Lincolnshire.
LAING from Elgin ,Scotland.
 HADDELSEY from Caistor,and Grimsby Lincolnshire.                   
 Parfitt, Le Gros ,Le Sueur, from Jersey.
Martin, from Doncaster  to whelyn garden city, London.
BINT, Worchester, in Australian mint.

Offline Dianmaria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Tuesday 03 April 18 18:21 BST (UK) »
I was born in St Margarets in Feb 1962, I actually live in Victoria Park road now, right near the sight of the hostel. I have been trying to find out information about it, but to no avail really. Hackney council had my birth records, I had to have an interview etc beforehand. My adoption papers made it quite clear my birth mother didn't want me to ever contact her and that was fine, as I am truly truly blessed  with the family that adopted me. I really just wanted to find out a bit about the hostel as it all seems so shrouded in secrecy.
I should have asked my Mum more when she was alive and she would have happily told me. I think so anyway.

Offline Dollylegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Saturday 02 November 19 18:26 GMT (UK) »
I only found out in June of this year that I was adopted while I was a tiny baby in 1946. I was born at 262 Victoria Park Road which I now know to be St. Margaret's  Home. I only have my mother's name but she lived in the same area of the town that my dad grew up in. Because my dad  (I think of my adoptive parents as my Mum and Dad, and call my biological parents my Mother and Father) was named as the  adoptive parent I hoped he may be my real dad. However I have yet to see my adoption file but going by what I have read it may well not have much in it.I am wondering how much anyone has found out about this place as it seems to have been erased from history.

Offline Dianmaria

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Sunday 03 November 19 08:40 GMT (UK) »
I was born there too in 1962  I agree there is not a lot written about it at all. I am also in touch with a lovely lady who was born there a few weeks after me, her name is Karen Brazil and she has written a wonderful book about her adoption from there.
Unbelievably, I still live in Victoria Park Road And St Margarets is no longer there, but one thing am pretty sure of is that it was a  Nursing home for the terminally ill, but that there were just 2 beds used for mothers to have their babies there (Paid privately for) and then to have them adopted. And that these were private adoptions.  That’s why the files are so small.   I think mostly unmarried mothers from Ireland. 

Offline Dollylegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: Sunday 03 November 19 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Amazingly too, I lived in Hackney for 20 years and the last 11 years at London Fields and knew Victoria Park Road well! Discovering I was adopted at my age (73) was a big shock for me. My adoptive parents were great but I had no idea whatsoever that I was not their biological daughter. I am waiting on my support worker to get the court file of my adoption but not expecting very much. You would really think that there would be more info out there about that place.