Author Topic: 262 Victoria Park Road Hackney - Adoption  (Read 9492 times)

Offline Dollylegs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 262 Victoria Park Road Hackney - Adoption
« Reply #45 on: Sunday 03 November 19 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Would be interested in the book you mentioned. What the title please?

Offline laurenjournalism

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Tuesday 07 January 20 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Hello,

I wonder if anyone can help me, I am writing an article about mother and baby homes/ unmarried mother homes for my university coursework. This is a subject which interests me very much.
I am hoping for people to contact me with stories and information i can include in my article.

Please help, best wishes,
Lauren

Offline SiriusB

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 08 January 20 10:59 GMT (UK) »
For a good insight, try the Salvation Army. There are some good reference links in the link below.
http://http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/HackneyMothersSA/?LMCL=t_f0aF

Offline Dollylegs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 18 February 20 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Still looking for answers about 262 Victoria Park Road but everywhere I inquire there is nothing to find. That is the same for my adoption records, absolutely nothing can be found. I realise I will never discover my birth circumstances, interestingly it appears the late Jeremy Beadle was born at St Margaret's aka 262 Victoria Park Road. If anyone has found anything more about this place please share. Thank you.

Offline Tonyaeldridge

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Friday 28 August 20 02:48 BST (UK) »
I was also born there in 1965
my mother was a young nurse from
Port Talbot. On my original birth certificate it had her name and address . This was back in the nineties that I rang the phone number I got from directory enquires and my grandmother picked up the phone , it never went any further. There is a terrace house
now at 262

Offline brigidmac

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Computer incompetent but stiil trying
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Saturday 29 August 20 10:54 BST (UK) »
Im interested in how DNA helps people identity their parents
We found out that my grandmother s birth father was of European Jewish origin so assumed the circumstances were for religious differences

Am helping one adoptee who has dna link to me
She worked out where her birth mother came from and we.ve narrowed down birth father to child of one of my grandfathers brothers...so I can tell her something about the circumstances of their grandparents was a Scottish family of ten their parents died young and some of them took the offers of cheap passages to USA .

If a birth family can be identified knowing profession. religion .location number of siblings etc can help make suppositions about reasons for adoption .

Have any of you had success with -? .

Roberts,Fellman.Macdermid smith jones,Bloch,Irvine,Hallis Stevenson

Offline Madrid1983

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Sunday 12 September 21 19:46 BST (UK) »
First time on this site. 
I was born in 1960's in Hackney London. I have my birth certificate and a note that states that i was born at 262 Victoria park road and the Matron was Mrs E W Eldridge. My mum was a nurse from Aberdeenshire.
My mum died last year and during all this time I never asked who my father was.
I am looking for the following information as i am travelling to london in November.
I would like to go to the site if it still exists and visit my birth place.
I have found out that my mum was going to put me up for adoption but after i was born she decided against that and my Granny took the train down to london and took us home.
I have a lot of the puzzle to find out, is it a hospital or a home, Did she travel down before i was born or was she working in London at the time- I have read on some sites that sometimes there is a "girls statement" which includes the fathers name, how would i find this if available?
Any replies would be much appreciated

Offline 1940’s Girl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Friday 04 March 22 18:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello all,
I as born at St Margaret’s in 1948; I was given to my parents two weeks after my birth, the court order went through five months later. My birth Mother was not allowed to name me so a big clue is the child’s forenames were given by adopting parents. I have a birth certificate registered at St Margaret’s with my natural mother’s surname and another after the court case with my parents surname. Both certificates have the same forenames. I have a friend a few months older than me and her certificates are the same. I acquired my birth certificate 1978 after the law changed. The social worker had no information at all as it was a private adoption. St Margaret’s had just the two beds for paying unmarried Mothers, a sideline to the nursing home. I have had a successful relationship with my maternal family and aged 69 I found my father by DNA search.Never give up the answers are out there somewhere. Good luck.