Author Topic: Register of Oversees Births/Marriages/Deaths  (Read 388 times)

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Register of Oversees Births/Marriages/Deaths
« on: Friday 06 October 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me please if the Australia Government kept a Register of Oversees births/marriages/deaths? 

If so where would I be able to obtain an index of this information?

Thanks once again,
CD

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Oversees Births/Marriages/Deaths
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
Not that I know about (but that is not a definitive answer). The Qld government includes marine births and deaths (M as part of the code) and Deaths during WWI and WWII for personnel who enlisted in Queensland. I don't think I've seen similar for other states - although for the early years of Australia many marine births were followed by a baptism at the first port of entry  & these baptisms would be in the index.

Queensland codes are at this link
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/information-and-how-to-access-and-order-records/research-codes

RootsChat is the busiest, largest free family history forum site in the country. It is completely free to use. Register now.
Also register instantly with Facebook or Twitter (and other social networks). Start your genealogy search now.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Westward

Thanks for your reply. Useful to know.  I'm particularly looking for a family of Australian nationals who would have been married and had children born in the  FMS (Federated Malay States)/Straits.

CD

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
I don't think you are going to find these marriages/births in Australian records. If the parents died in Australia, the death certificates from most states would give details of when/where married and names/ages of children (assuming the informant knew these details), which may help the research. Someone may  reply later with more knowledge of this.

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Overseas Births/Marriages/Deaths
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 05:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have been wondering this same question. I have some family, Queensland residents, who went to New Caledonia as missionaries in the 1900s and had, I believe, at least one of their children born there.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country SA)