Author Topic: Register of Oversees Births/Marriages/Deaths  (Read 602 times)

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Register of Oversees Births/Marriages/Deaths
« on: Friday 06 October 17 11:28 BST (UK) »
Can anyone tell me please if the Australia Government kept a Register of Oversees births/marriages/deaths? 

If so where would I be able to obtain an index of this information?

Thanks once again,
CD

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Oversees Births/Marriages/Deaths
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 October 17 11:56 BST (UK) »
Not that I know about (but that is not a definitive answer). The Qld government includes marine births and deaths (M as part of the code) and Deaths during WWI and WWII for personnel who enlisted in Queensland. I don't think I've seen similar for other states - although for the early years of Australia many marine births were followed by a baptism at the first port of entry  & these baptisms would be in the index.

Queensland codes are at this link
https://www.qld.gov.au/law/births-deaths-marriages-and-divorces/family-history-research/information-and-how-to-access-and-order-records/research-codes

Online california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 October 17 12:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Westward

Thanks for your reply. Useful to know.  I'm particularly looking for a family of Australian nationals who would have been married and had children born in the  FMS (Federated Malay States)/Straits.

CD

Offline Westward

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 06 October 17 12:34 BST (UK) »
I don't think you are going to find these marriages/births in Australian records. If the parents died in Australia, the death certificates from most states would give details of when/where married and names/ages of children (assuming the informant knew these details), which may help the research. Someone may  reply later with more knowledge of this.

Offline Voltaire1694

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Register of Overseas Births/Marriages/Deaths
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 10 October 17 05:57 BST (UK) »
Yes, I have been wondering this same question. I have some family, Queensland residents, who went to New Caledonia as missionaries in the 1900s and had, I believe, at least one of their children born there.
Heyer, Wray, Fullgrabe, Kayser, Beecken (all Upper Sturt or country South Australia)